SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Busybodies

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Busybodies

[i] For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.[/i] 2Th 3:11

[i] And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.[/i] 1Ti 5:13

There were busy-bodies among them: and it should seem, by the connection, that the same persons who were idle were busy-bodies also. This may seem to be a contradiction; but so it is, that most commonly those persons who have no business of their own to do, or who neglect it, busy themselves in other men's matters. If we are idle, the devil and a corrupt heart will soon find us something to do. The mind of man is a busy thing; if it be not employed in doing good, it will be doing evil. Note, Busy-bodies are disorderly walkers, such as are guilty of vain curiosity, and impertinent meddling with things that do not concern them, and troubling themselves and others with other men's matters. The apostle warns Timothy (1Ti_5:13) to beware of such as learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and are not only idle, but tatlers also, and busy-bodies, speaking things which they ought not.

[i]Withal they learn to be idle[/i], and not only idle, but tattlers, etc., 1Ti_5:13. Observe, It is seldom that those who are idle are idle only, they learn to be tattlers and busy-bodies, and to make mischief among neighbours, and sow discord among brethren.

Matthew Henry

2008/2/9 11:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Busybodies

[b]Meddle
MED'DLE[/b], v.i.

1. To have to do; to take part; to interpose and act in the concerns of others, or in affairs in which one's interposition is not necessary; often with the sense of intrusion or officiousness.

I have thus far been an upright judge, not meddling with the design nor disposition.

What hast thou to do to meddle with the affairs of my family?

Why should'st thou meddle to thy hurt? 2 Ki 14.

[b]Meddling
MED'DLING[/b], ppr. Having to do; touching; handling; officiously interposing in other men's concerns.

1. a. Officious; busy in other men's affairs; as a meddling neighbor.

[b]Meddler
MED'DLER[/b], n. One that meddles; one that interferes or busies himself with things in which he has no concern; an officious person; a busy body.

2008/2/9 11:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Busybodies

[b][u]Busybodies[/u][/b]

If, as our proverb puts it, “Charity begins at home,” so should criticism; and criticism concerning character had better stop there. There is so much dirty linen in our own house needing to be washed that none of us need to take in our neighbour’s washing. “Mind your own business,” is a command that might have been spoken by Solomon himself, and the apostle Paul was inspired to write to the Thessalonians, “Study to be quiet, and to do your own business;” and he and Peter very sternly condemned those who were “busybodies in other men’s matters.”

C.H. Spurgeon

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

[i]The gifts of God not to be rejected on account of the channel that brings them.[/i]

I am glad you find in the person of whom you speak, the qualities you were in search of. God puts what He pleases where He pleases. Naaman could not be healed by all the waters of Syria, but must apply to those of Palestine. What does it matter from what quarter our light and help come? The source is the important point, not the conduit; that is the best channel which most exercises our faith, puts to shame our human wisdom, makes us simple and humble, and undeceives us in respect to our own power. Receive, then, whatever He bestows, in dependence upon the Spirit that bloweth where it listeth. We know not whence it cometh nor whither it goeth. (John iii. 8.) But we need not seek to know the secrets of God; let us only be obedient to what He reveals.

Too much reasoning is a great distraction. Those who reason--the indevout wise--quench the inward spirit as the wind extinguishes a candle. After being with them for awhile, we perceive our hearts dry, and our mind off its centre. Shun intercourse with such men; they are full of danger to you.

There are some who appear recollected, but whose appearance deceives us. It is easy to mistake a certain warmth of the imagination for recollection. Such persons are eager in the pursuit of some outward good, to which they are attached; they are distracted by this anxious desire; they are perpetually occupied in discussions and reasonings, but know nothing of that inward peace and silence, that listens to God. They are more dangerous than others, because their distraction is more disguised. Search their depths, and you will find them restless, fault-finding, eager, constantly occupied without, harsh and crude in all their desires, sensitive, full of their own thoughts, and impatient of the slightest contradiction; in a word, spiritual busy-bodies, annoyed at everything, and almost always annoying.

Francois Fenelon

2008/2/9 11:38Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re: Busybodies

Seems like when we stay busy in God, we are very slow to criticize others, because we have a knowlege of our own unworthiness and depravity before God, that helps us extend courtesey to others.
Joe

2008/2/9 13:52Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Amen!

2008/2/11 3:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy