SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A course driven Church

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

A course driven Church

It is not that it is I was once in a church where it was one course after another course.
We have the alpha course so that people do not have to evangelise anymore and it makes me so upset and we have other courses so people do not actually study the bible.
I did a course in which people were suppose to be going deeper into christ but when I asked them to actually do anything they learnt I was met with a suprising no
Because we live in a DVD driven age in which actual doing is a rarity.
The average englishmen spends more time watching tv than anyone. So just spending in church watching tv is not going to make any difference.

Emotional Voyours wanting to do what great heroes and putting people on a pedastal that only belongs to god.
Is it like Paul when he went to Iconium and shouting out from the rooftops we are just men and even the Angel when speking to john lifts john up and says worship god , I am only an Angel.

Have we made leaders Gods, rather than making jesus are saviour, do we tend to read books and make heroes out of those books?

Can we study the bible and not actually study it?
I have been in bible studies where I have a list of questions by someone else and do not actually grapple with the bible myself.
The bible is not a quiz in which people get right or wrong answers , it is the word of Life.
To me prayer and bible study is something lacking in our church.

It is like the Israelites they would rather hear from Moses than God. Because God was too scary.

keith Green in one of his sermons says, when he started actually reading his bible for himself.

I know people generally do not read their bible as I work in a christian bookshop, if they did their would be a mega change from the books that we are now selling.

It is like we are selling course books. courses are for horses and not for the general church.
Do we not have a personal god and why is everything more mass marketed.

It breaks my heart time and again. To me all I want is Jesus and nothing else.
Even when people say we are studying a course so we can learn about god to me to have god himself.
That to me is more valuable.
It is not that I do not like books I love books but when God is their calling and we put studying before god.
It is like having the author of a book right beside you and you are going for the study guide to find out what the book is about.

In the book of Chronicles, one of the Kings forsakes GOd and goes after the idols of Edom, the ones in which he has just destroyed.
The prophet quotes a line " If you forsake God , god will forsake you"
An Idol is not something that is a stone thing but is something that is a higher proiority than God.
If Moses saw televison he would freak, as that would be classed as a graven image.
My desire only after him is more than I can take.
To me is a bad day in which we put prayer meeting and not reading god words.
We need jesus in this day
Dom
A heartcry

E Mbounds classes as not praying as evil

2008/2/6 23:58Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: A course driven Church

dom,
Whilst reading your thread these scriptures came to me.

Ps 63v1, 'O God, You are my God, early will I seek You, my soul thirsts for You, my flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water.'

Ps 42v, 'My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?'

Your longing for God is how a Christian should be.

The apostle Paul wanted to die so that he could be with his Lord, Phil 1v21.

I know what you mean about the courses, and the programmes etc.

They are all there to replace the word of God, whilst using the word of God so that it still has a 'Christian' aspect to it.

About time we just dumped all the courses and study the word of God itself.

Ezra 7v10, 'For Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the Lord, and to do it, and to teach statutes and ordinances in Israel.'

Television is an idol.

People will skip a day or two of praying or reading the word of God, but they won't do the same with the t.v.

God help us.

Thanks for blessing us with your heartcry.

God bless.

2008/2/7 7:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy