SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The promises of God are not automatic!!!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

The promises of God are not automatic!!!

Everything that God offers mankind is in the form of a promise. Salvation itself is based on Gods free gift and promise to us. The gift of Christ is now fully available to anyone who will take hold of the promise by faith. Without receiving the promises of God, salvation is totally impossible.

2 Peter 1:3-4 "According as His divine power has given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him that has called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these you might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust."

God has provided us with EVERYTHING that we could possibly need to live a pure and Holy life. He has made everything freely available in the form of promises. Salvation, Jesus, Christ, and the Holy Spirit are all offered to mankind by the promises. The ONLY way to experience being a partaker of God's Holy nature and escape the corruption in the word is from receiving the results of the promises.

The design of the promises is to make a person a partaker of God's divine nature. God forms His character in the believer by the provisions of the gospel. God has made ample provision for all holiness and spiritual growth. The promise when received fulfills all the requirements of the law. What the law requires, God freely makes available to every person as a gift. We must truly believe and then receive this gift. There is nothing lacking in God's provision for us to fulfill the law and His requirements. What the law requires, God freely gives to those who take it.

The promises act as stair steps designed to take and change a person closer to God's nature. You need to go from promise to promise taking hold of them as they rise one above the other. No matter what your situation, circumstance or state of mind, God has a promise for you. No mater if you are the worst sinner on earth or have walked with the Lord for years there is a promise for you to grab hold of and make your own.

Do no forget that every command of God, when properly understood, is to be regarded as implying a promise. If God has required us to do anything whatever, we may always understand the very requirement as implying the promise of sufficient grace to assist us in the performance of the thing required. All needed strength and grace is pledged to us in Christ Jesus.

The promises of God are not automatic. I have heard that there are over 3,00 promises in the bible. The promises are made available to everyone. God has made all these freely available to us but there are so many who do not walk in the reality of them. Even though God has already given us these promises there are conditions that we must fulfill for us to enter into the reality of them. A person must fulfill the conditions before receiving the results of any promise. Just as a sinner must take hold of the promise of salvation a believer must also take hold a promise that is designed for him.

We can not just float along in life and somehow just expect these promises to fall on us.

2008/2/3 8:56

here are a few reasons why we do not experiace the promises

The lack of understanding or not knowing the promises. The fulfillment of a promise must depend on our knowing and believing the promise. How can we believe in something we do not understand or know?

No personal application of the promise. A person will never apply a promise while he thinks it does not apply to him. An example is, a person will never take Christ unless he understands that Christ died personally for him.

The meaning of a promise is diluted and weakened. A person can so reduce the promise that he receives nothing by it.

2008/2/3 14:19
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: here are a few reasons why we do not experiace the promises

Quote:
An example is, a person will never take Christ unless he understands that Christ died personally for him.

And a person cannot come to Christ unless the Father draws him, and a man will not see his offence against God until he is given a new heart, or made a new creature.

The old Adam cares nothing about pleasing God or offending God.

This is why a person, even a believer who feels conviction of sin can be assured of their re-birth, as the old man would not be concerned with something being sin.

Quote:
The meaning of a promise is diluted and weakened. A person can so reduce the promise that he receives nothing by it.

So then Christ is not who He claims to be unless I believe it to be true?

That my friend is near blasphemy! Christ and His words are objectively true. Whether we believe them or not they are true.

If what you say is true, then how would you explain this verse away-
2 Corinthians 1:20 For [b]all the promises of God[/b] in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

In Christ we have all of God's promises. This may not fit with your theology, but to say that man can in any way shape or form add to or take away from God's truth is very dangerous, and often leads to an open theist view of God which is not Scriptural at all.

Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? [b]shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?[/b]
Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, [b]let God be true, but every man a liar[/b]; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

2008/2/3 14:37Profile

Re: Roaringlamb

John 12:32; "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me."

Everyone is drawn to Christ.

Yes Christ is who He claims to be!!! But if we do not believe Him we will not experience this truth.

Believing the facts about Christ does not make them true, They are TRUE.

Now if someone does not believe Him then they do not change the facts but they will not experience HIM.

2 Corinthians 1:20 For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.

This is true! But if I refuse to believe in HIM, then I do not experience HIM.

In Christ we have all of God's promises.

Yes I agree, but tell me why so many Christians do not experience the reality of them?

Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?

Romans 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

The people who do not believe do not change the facts of the Gospel, but their unbelief can send them to hell.

Can a person refuse to believe in the Gospel and still be a Christian?

2008/2/3 15:25
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
Everyone is drawn to Christ.

This is not true, is Satan drawn to Christ? Are unbelievers in and of themselves drawn to Christ?

Absolutely not, for the only way one can hear of Christ is through the preaching of the Gospel, and this message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing. Also the natural man is not able to discern the things of the Spirit.

In that passage in 1 Corinthians, Paul uses the word "dunamis" for "unable", which shows that natural man does not have "power" to believe Spiritual things.

Quote:
Yes I agree, but tell me why so many Christians do not experience the reality of them?

They do, but you are looking for subjective experiences to validate whether or not a person is experiencing them or not.

All who trust Christ for their salvation experience all of God's promises. Sure, they come at differing times, and in differing ways. But grace is always working and providing the believer right standing with God.

I will answer more later, I need to go.

2008/2/3 16:29Profile

Re:

Satan is not a human. Christ did not die for him.

Unbelievers are drawn to Christ because of HIM.

I once was a natural man perishing. I was a sinner and ungodly.

Weren't you also?

If ungodly sinners are not drawn to Christ, there would no hope for anyone.

Rom 5:6-8; "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Rom 5:10 "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life."

Edit: added Rom 5:10

2008/2/3 16:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy