Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sense of Urgency

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Sense of Urgency

Has anyone else been feeling a sense of urgency in their spirit?

I recently spent time away from the boards, forsaking everything but my job (I didn't even answer my phone) to seek God. He's doing a marvelous and transforming work in my life. Part of what He's filled me with is a great sense of urgency.

I feel that God is gathering those who are serious about surrendering their own plans fully to seek His. He's seeking those who are serious about fulfilling the call He's placed on their lives. Those who have not forgotten who He is and still trust in His promises. He's seeking those who will obey Him without hesitation. He's gathering.

Part of that sense of urgency has been to do everything possible to get out of debt quickly.

Since this sense of urgency has come upon me, I've been running across (not searching for) sermons, articles and news that seems to confirm this sense of urgency.

Even the articles that Brother Greg has been posting in the News Forum. Have you seen the headlines? Food and grain shortages are feared in Russia, China, Korea, Afghanistan, Pakistan and South Asia. Food inflation in the UK and here in America. Warning signs.

Apostasy in great numbers. An epidemic of the great number of ear-tickling false prophets. Economic, social and political instability.

I never used to think about these things. All I thought about was getting out of Corporate America and making a living from my writing. That's so pitiful compared to what's been placed on my heart. As I go through each day, different moments play like they're on a television with the volume turned up. It's like they're being emphasized and my attention is being drawn to notice them. Especially conversations people have that are so petty and meaningless. Someone stressing out over something that will never amount to a hill of beans. Someone who is excited about watching a television show that night. Books I see people reading. I wish I could explain it. It's like the Holy Spirit is choosing certain moments to call my attention to to emphasize things He's putting in my spirit.

Is anyone else experiencing a sense of urgency in their spirit? I could be off and it could be something He means just for me but it just seems bigger than that.

2008/1/31 22:18Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Sense of Urgency

I do understand what you mean. Things are closing in. The liberty the Christian enjoys in the West is gradually coming to an end.

It's in the air.

I was reading through Philippians this morning, and these verses spoke to me.

Phil 1v29, 'For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake'.

Phil 3v10, 'that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death'.

We were doing Bible study as a family the other night and it was mentioned that 11 of the 12 apostles were martyred. The majority, not the minority.

In other words, martyrdom is the norm.

However, I also read this in Philippians.

Phil 3v18, 'For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ,

v19, whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame-who set their mind on earthly things'.

Upon reading that, I thought of how many Christians I know that are so involved in this world, that the next is of no importance to them.

Christians tend to treat the end times as one day, but not yet.

2 Peter 3v4, 'and saying, "Where is the promise of His coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation."

And this is talking about scoffers coming in the last days.

I wonder if those scoffers are not in the church.

Good post.

God bless.

2008/2/1 5:11Profile
dbm

Lisle, Illinois

Re:

What a glorious sense of urgency it is that has come upon the Body of Christ.

Enid thank you for your reference to Philippians 3:18 as the passage just before that (Philippians 3:13-17) marks how God has used this message board to address my own sense of urgency in these matters. Discussing matters with some on the board, and reading everyones responses and posts, has opened me heart to a greater understanding of a life in Christ.

Philippians 3:13-17
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

God is calling all of us to greater Faith and obedience and many of the deceptions that have muddied the Church for so long are being revealed in stark clarity to those who believe. The line is being drawn so clearly that I can't help but rejoice. I pray daily that more see and hear the Gospel, and weep often that many will not, but in both we see God's hand at work, his perfect justice administered with perfect love.

Corinthians 5:51- 53
Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Surely there will be trials, tribulations and the time ahead will challenge us all to greater Faith in Christ, but in this the Body of Christ will be perfected and all who press on will receive that which makes any temporary pains seem as nothing.

2008/2/1 12:32Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Thank you Enid and David,

What I marvel in is that this sense of urgency is not a frantic or panicked one. There's a tremendous peace in the middle of it.

I don't want to intimate that this sense of urgency is [i]necessarily[/i] concerning the end times. I do believe we're in the end times, but I can't put an event or timeline to what I'm sensing. It could just be something that's meant for me in my life. In the same manner, I can't rule out the possibility of it being related to the Father's plan for end times.

Either way, I have peace and will stay close to Him and obey His Word.

2008/2/1 13:09Profile
dbm

Lisle, Illinois

Re:

I've been very heartened lately by the fact that each day approaches the end, whether in the near future or at a later time. Didn't mean for my response to seem as a rebuke, just a celebration.

The way the world is moving it will be trying for everyone and it's a blessing to hear that others are taking to heart the sufferings that are present and are to come.

I live in the Chicago suburbs, so it is often hard to see (around me) that people are taking God's Word seriously. Posts such as yours are a great comfort to me.

I've been blessed with not having a car and God has used this time to humble me and secure me further in Faith.

2008/2/1 13:58Profile

Re: Sense of Urgency

Some great posts here! I thought that many on SI didn't sense this at all - including you, Chris! So this was a blessing.[****EDIT Oops, mada a mistake, same atavar as someone else, you're not Chris***]

It's going to get tougher, but we're on the winning side!

Jesus said (Lu 21:28):
[color=990000] And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.[/color]

In Him

Jeannette

2008/2/1 15:26
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:
I've been very heartened lately by the fact that each day approaches the end, whether in the near future or at a later time. Didn't mean for my response to seem as a rebuke, just a celebration.

Didn't come across as a rebuke at all, brother. I'm just very conscious of my words and was considering them in hindsight.

I sold my car when I moved to Europe. I didn't have one there because I didn't need one. When I moved back to the states seven years ago, I decided to continue living without one. Frankly, I quite enjoy it. Living simply has been an incredible blessing to me! No microwave, dishwasher, home, car, television, etc., I do have a computer because I'm a writer. I love being mobile. God has moved me around and I've been able to do so on a moment's notice.

I long to be with Jesus, but I really do pray He tarries awhile longer. Eternity is forever. I want as much time on this earth as possible to bring glory to the Father and be used to help others come to the saving knowledge of Him.

2008/2/1 15:54Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:
It's going to get tougher, but we're on the winning side!

This is exactly right! Amen! Something that the Holy Spirit has been showing me over and over again, is that the battle is already won so all we have to do is stand firm in faith.

God's promises and provision are sure. As His heirs, we have full access to the "invisible" storehouse of all He has and is. He knows our needs before we ask. He's already made available all the provision we'll ever need!

What's left to do but stay close to Him, have faith that He means what He said and to obey Him. The rest is taken care of!

Call me simple-minded, but we're "betting" on a sure-thing! Its done. The victory is already won! We just have to walk it out. I understand that it won't always be easy, but when we have promises and assurances like this, how on earth can we doubt?

2008/2/1 16:04Profile
docs

Re: Sense of urgency

I'm glad you mentioned this sense of urgency. It's like someone said in these comments, you can feel it in the air and in the Spirit if you please. It must be growing more common among the body of Christ. I went to a open prayer meeting on Monday night before the Fla primary here. There were about 500 or 600 people gathered, young and old. The same sense of urgency was there. A word advocating personal sanctification was taught along with the responsibility to pray for elections and leaders and this nation. And fasting for God's heart and mind. Then a time of prayer occured, young, middle age and old participating. If the Lord is guiding us it is really no wonder that we may feel this urgency when so many outside of the church don't. But yes, I feel a sense of urgency. We are not of the night and are most of all urged to be prepared.

2008/2/1 16:34Profile
Spitfire

Re: Urgency

Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord! Yes, I have this urgency and I have had it for about 4 years. I posted a prophecy which I received from the Lord here: http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5813&forum=35#114405

This particular thread started by Dorcas is called, The Church Needs To Wake Up and Stand For Jesus!!! The prophecy I posted speaks of a breaking of the power of the Spirit of Religion by God which has been ruling over the North American continent for the last 400 years. I believe this "urgency" we all have is because this wind of God is blowing on us! Praise God Almighty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us respond with the response which God has commanded. Amen.

2008/2/2 8:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy