SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Its Time To Grow Up

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
donnaemmons9

Its Time To Grow Up

Hebrews 5:12-14 says For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of GOD and you have come to need milk and not solid food. For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness for he is a babe.

There was a person who had been a teacher for 25 years. When she heard about a job that would be a promotion she applied. However, someone who was teaching for 1 year was hired instead. She went to the principal and asked why. The principal said I am sorry but you have only one year experience repeated 25 times. The teacher had never improved.

Too often I find myself like that teacher. We need to ask ourselves are we moving toward a greater degree of being like CHRIST.If not we are lukewarm. Sin seperates us from GOD so any sin needs to be disciplined into subjection. We need to ask GOD to search our hearts if we are pursuing Godliness and want to be holy. Ask GOD to show you any hidden sin because it will destroy your life.

Fasting will show you hidden sin quicker than anything I can think of. It is well worth it because then we can be placed back into right standing with GOD. Sin seperates and destroys us. We cannot afford to allow sin that is pointed out to remain. GOD says if we are lukewarm HE will spew us out of HIS mouth.

We need to ask does my every action, attitude and motive glorify GOD? If it doesnt then we have a problem that we need to go to GOD about. Our bodies need to be in complete subjection to the WORD of GOD. Hebrews 12:11 says Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful nevertheless afterwards it yields the peacable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. The Bible also says we are not our own. We have been bought with a price.

We must bring ourselves into subjection to HIM. We have no right to do otherwise. JESUS CHRIST paid a great price to redeem us from slavery. We dare not become entangled with sin even if hidden because it doesnt glorify GOD. That is why it is so important to keep returning to the foot of the Cross at least daily. It is not something we can do on our own. We need HIS blood to be made righteous. Disciplining ourselves into subjection is agreeing with what HE says in a spirit of humility and brokenness.

Being HIS disciple requires us to discipline our bodies. GOD commands us to mortify, crucify and bring our flesh into subjection. If we do less we are not being obedient children to HIS WORD. The BIBBLE says exercise yourself unto Godliness. Lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us. The BIble says today is the day of salvation. Today is the day to come to HIM to be made more like HIM.

GOD cannot tolerate sin. HE disciplines us so we might be partakers of HIS divine holiness. Our flesh must be crucified, denied, brought into subjection because of the great price HE paid on the Cross. It is worth whatever is needed to partake of HIS holiness. If not your flesh will overtake in the war between the spirit and the flesh. GOD loves us and desires that we grow up in HIM mature and complete lacking nothing. We must then ask ourselves are we growing up in HIM or are we repeating the same lessons over and over remaining spiritually immature.

Change My Heart Oh God
Change my heart oh God
Make it ever true
Change my heart oh God
May I be like You

Change my heart oh God
Make it ever true
Change my heart oh God
May I be like You

You are the potter
I am the clay
Mold me and make me
This is what I pray

Change my heart oh God
Make it ever true
Change my heart oh God
May I be like You

2008/1/31 0:55Profile
BVO

ohio

Re: Its Time To Grow Up

Thanks for the devotional thought! I liked the one year of experience 25 times leaving the person no better than before. It is funny how looking over the time since my conversion how the ups and downs have been. I am a notes and "scattered journal" keeper and as I run across things that I did or thought 10 years ago sometimes I think: That was more mature than I am now, or I can't believe that I didn't understand even these basics then that are common experience now. As a whole in life I must say that He is still increasing and i am still decreasing. Why doesn't self just stay mortified? In the natural a corpse doesn't just revive because it wanted to do "one more thing". I wish dying daily wasn't the model because sometimes I don't die and there I am again! Thanks for the reflection! Love in Christ Barry

2008/1/31 5:44Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Love the illusration about the teacher who had the one year experience repeated 25 times.

Kind of like you think ouch, or is it?

But you just don't want to be like that, still in the same place spiritually as you were years ago, or even yesterday.

Sometimes, I don't think we realise just how unlike Christ we are, even though we wear His name.

How much we love and cling to sin is alarming when we realise how much God hates and condemns it. Yet we seem comfortable with it.

How damning for us.

God help us to desire Him and His ways in us, and outside of us too.

God bless.

2008/1/31 6:48Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Thanks donnaemmons9 for a good work to The Body

Why is light given to a man whose way is hid, and whom God hath hedged in?

Eddie

2008/1/31 7:22Profile
donnaemmons9

I wrote this because I fasted recently and GOD has shown me a couple areas of hidden sin I had to repent of. I wrote this to edfiy the body of CHRIST. When JESUS sees sin in our life it makes HIM sad because HE loves us. I dont want to make HIM sad. I have a desperate desire to please HIM and make HIM smile. It is so worth it to allow HIM to seach us so we can be pleasing in HIS sight. I praise GOD for HIS blood that once we turn our hearts back to HIM in repentance HE covers us and allows us access into the Holy of Holies. He paid a great price to allow me to enter there and it is the place I love to be.

HOLINESS
Holiness, Holiness is what I long for
Holiness is what I need
Holiness, Holiness is what You want from me

Take my heart (echo) and form it
Take my mind (echo), transform it
Take my will (echo), conform it
To Yours, to Yours, oh Lord.
To Yours, to Yours, oh Lord.

Faithfulness

Brokenness

2008/1/31 9:28Profile