SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How to preach?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dougkristen

How to preach?

I'm looking for thoughts and suggestions on how to learn to "preach" the gospel. How do you prepare a sermon, etc.?? Can you suggest a book or scripture or thoughts on training on how to preach. Thanks! This might be good discussion for all. ;-)

Grace,
Doug

2004/6/8 12:16Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: How to preach?

To begin with:

Preacher, to no other man on earth does God give such an awesome task as to you. You trade in eternal things. Yours is a calling that angels might envy. To you is given a power that hell fears above all other powers on earth.
You are a divine delegate, a God-endued ambassador, a plenipotentiary. Life and death are in your hands. To some your message is a savor of death, but to others your words are a savor of life unto life.
Leonard Ravenhill
Sodom had no Bible

2004/6/8 12:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

I quite enjoyed Martyn Lloyd-Jones's "Preaching and Preachers." Many practical nuggets of wisdom in it.

Preaching is not a "how-to" type of deal. Either you can, or you can't. There might be practical nuggets of wisdom you might learn to aid your preaching, but the ability to truly preach with the anointing of the Holy Spirit is a gift, not a skill. As Jim Cymbala, pastor of Brooklyn Tabernacle said, Jesus was not asked by the disciples, "Lord, teach us to preach." Rather, they asked, "Lord, teach us to pray."

Pray, fast, and be filled with the Holy Spirit. Only then will you know how to preach, as the Holy Spirit will show you what you must say. If you are wondering about outlines... take a public speech class at your local community college, they'll be able to teach you just fine how-to put together an outline. Toss about 90% of the stuff they'll teach you about things such as oratory.

2004/6/8 13:28Profile
dougkristen

Re:

Where do you find Preaching and Preachers?

Doug

2004/6/8 13:47Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Preaching and Preachers canbe found here:

http://www.discerningreader.com/exbymarlloy.html

2004/6/8 14:18Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Where do you find Preaching and Preachers?

Amazon.com will have it for about $15. There are probably copies for sale by owner for cheaper. Also, other more "practical" books such as "Why Revival Tarries" by Leonard Ravenhill, and "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" and "Fresh Power" by Jim Cymbala have been books that have greatly stirred me, and I think will ultimately have a profound impact on my preaching... though they are not specifically about preaching. I've also heard good things about "The Supremacy of God in Preaching" by John Piper.

Just a note though, one is probably better off buying books on prayer than books on preaching. In prayer you will truly learn whatever it is God wants you to say. Then you will simply be left to cast yourself upon Him in order to have the strength and ability to preach the message.

2004/6/8 15:09Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Can you suggest a book or scripture or thoughts on training on how to preach.

Here is a link to some thoughts on this matter from Art Katz's book [i]Apostolic Foundations[/i]. I've just been reading this recently and it is excellent ministry;

[url=http://www.benisrael.org/OnlineBooks/apostolic_foundations/preaching.htm]The Mystery of Preaching[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/6/8 19:14Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Can you suggest a book or scripture or thoughts on training on how to preach.

Spurgeon has some very astute observations to offer on the subject of preaching in Lectures to my students. In addition to being very practical it is also very funny. These come in his examples of 'how NOT to preach'.

2004/6/9 3:42Profile
Netpreacher

Portland, OR

There is are numerous examples listed by Adam Clarke in his commentaries on the prerequisites of preaching the Gospel, for you must be sent by God, which is his contention. There is a book called "The Preacher's Manual" that includes Clarke's "Clavis Biblica" and a very worthwhile read called "Letters to a Young Preacher" that may be of some help to you.

2004/6/9 14:40Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Spurgeon has some very astute observations to offer on the subject of preaching in Lectures to my students. In addition to being very practical it is also very funny. These come in his examples of 'how NOT to preach'.

Is that the book with small diagrams of him with hand positions for preaching? like if you are going to preach on some verses you say the words with hand motions to clarify it. Quite interesting.

2004/6/9 14:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy