SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How God felt about IDOLS?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
loveyouall

India

How God felt about IDOLS?

HOW DOES GOD FEEL ABOUT IDOLS?
How He Felt In the Old Testament
Exodus 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Exodus 23:24 Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.
Leviticus 19:4 Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.
Deuteronomy 4:23 Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget the covenant of the LORD your God, which he made with you, and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the LORD thy God hath forbidden thee.
2Kings 17:12 For they served idols, whereof the LORD had said unto them, Ye shall not do this thing.
Deuteronomy 7:25 The graven images of their gods shall ye burn with fire: thou shalt not desire the silver or gold that is on them, nor take it unto thee, lest thou be snared therin: for it is an abomination to the LORD thy God.
2Kings 21:11 Because Manasseh king of Judah hath done these abominations, and hath done wickedly above all that the Amorites did, which were before him, and hath made Judah also to sin with his idols:
1Chronicles 16:26 For all the gods of the people are idols: but the LORD made the heavens.
2Chronicles 24:18 And they left the house of the LORD God of their fathers, and served groves and idols: and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem for this their trespass.
Psalms 106:36 And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.
Psalms 115:4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
Psalms 135:15 The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.
Isaiah 2:8 Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:
Isaiah 31:7 For in that day every man shall cast away his idols of silver, and his idols of gold, which your own hands have made unto you for a sin.
Ezekiel 14:6 Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Repent, and turn yourselves from your idols; and turn away your faces from all your abominations.
Ezekiel 14:7 For every one of the house of Israel, or of the stranger that sojourneth in Israel, which separateth himself from me, and setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to a prophet to enquire of him concerning me; I the LORD will answer him by myself:
Ezekiel 18:12 Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination,
Ezekiel 20:7 Then said I unto them, Cast ye away every man the abominations of his eyes, and defile not yourselves with the idols of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Ezekiel 20:8 But they rebelled against me, and would not hearken unto me: they did not every man cast away the abominations of their eyes, neither did they forsake the idols of Egypt: then I said, I will pour out my fury upon them, to accomplish my anger against them in the midst of the land of Egypt.
after their idols.
Ezekiel 20:18 But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols:
Ezekiel 20:24 Because they had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my sabbaths, and their eyes were after their fathers' idols.
Ezekiel 20:39 As for you, O house of Israel, thus saith the Lord GOD; Go ye, serve ye every one his idols, and hereafter also, if ye will not hearken unto me: but pollute ye my holy name no more with your gifts, and with your idols.
Ezekiel 23:30 I will do these things unto thee, because thou hast gone a whoring after the heathen, and because thou art polluted with their idols.
Ezekiel 36:18 Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it:
Ezekiel 44:12 Because they ministered unto them before their idols, and caused the house of Israel to fall into iniquity; therefore have I lifted up mine hand against them, saith the Lord GOD, and they shall bear their iniquity.
Hosea 8:4 They have set up kings, but not by me: they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off.
Hosea 13:2 And now they sin more and more, and have made them molten images of their silver, and idols according to their own understanding, all of it the work of the craftsmen: they say of them, Let the men that sacrifice kiss the calves.
Habakkuk 2:18 What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols?
How He Feels In the New Law That We are Currently Under (Hebrews 1:1-2 and Hebrews 9:15-17)

Luke 4:8And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
Acts 15:20 But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.
1Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.
1Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind.
1Corinthians 10:7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.
1Corinthians 10:14 Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.
1Corinthians 12:2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.
Galatians 5:19-21
19.Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20. Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21. Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Ephesians 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:
1Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;
1Peter 4:3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:
1John 5:21 Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen. Revelation 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

2008/1/29 8:01Profile

Re: How God felt about IDOLS?

loveyouall,

this is of interest because of something that happened several years ago. I bought a house in Washington DC in 2000 and put in a garden in the back yard. While i was digging up the garden i noticed there were no rocks in the ground at all. I finally came upon one, about a foot down. when i pulled it up there was a face on it, an elegantly carved buddha on a roundish rock slightly larger than a softball. (it is really well done, obviously by a trained artist. it also has a couple of chips taken off, as if someone had tried to destroy it with a hammer and then gave up.)

i found this to be very curious. how did this rock get there? (This neighborhood, DC NE, was all black; no buddhists there at all)

i have concluded that someone purposely buried this rock in the ground because they thought it was an idol.

anyhow it is now a bookend in my kitchen holding up my large collection of vegetarian cookbooks.

i'm not a buddhist, although i read and admire Buddhist teachings and find some quite similar to those of Jesus. (See the book on the parallel sayings of Jesus and Buddha by Marcus Borg for some of these.)

My Question for you, loveyouall: Is keeping this rock in my house prohibited by God??

bub

2008/1/30 11:01
elanham

Maryland

Re:

Unequivocally yes. Keeping a graven image of an Buddha in your dwelling place is prohibited by God. Remember your dwelling place is His dwelling place. Take into consideration the utter Holiness of God. Also remember that God describes himself as being a Jealous God, to the point the He states that His very name is Jealous. How would you think a husband would feel is his wife brought in a picture of someone who he had an active jealousy of and placed it into the house. Each time the husband would enter his home he would see the image of a man who he hates. Would that be a small thing to the mere man. How much more of an affront would such an act be to the One who said make no graven images. If you have the buddha in your house, you do have the graven image correct? Consider Gods clear stance in this issue. Thou shaft have no graven images" (Exodus 20:4). God out of His great love for us gave this command to protect us from the principalities and powers of the air that are associated with idols.

Take a minute and read of a similiar instance of someone bringing something into his house that God labeled as the accursed thing.

1 But the children of Israel committed a trespass regarding the accursed things, for Achan the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi,[a] the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed things; so the anger of the LORD burned against the children of Israel.
2 Now Joshua sent men from Jericho to Ai, which is beside Beth Aven, on the east side of Bethel, and spoke to them, saying, “Go up and spy out the country.” So the men went up and spied out Ai. 3 And they returned to Joshua and said to him, “Do not let all the people go up, but let about two or three thousand men go up and attack Ai. Do not weary all the people there, for the people of Ai are few.” 4 So about three thousand men went up there from the people, but they fled before the men of Ai. 5 And the men of Ai struck down about thirty-six men, for they chased them from before the gate as far as Shebarim, and struck them down on the descent; therefore the hearts of the people melted and became like water.
6 Then Joshua tore his clothes, and fell to the earth on his face before the ark of the LORD until evening, he and the elders of Israel; and they put dust on their heads. 7 And Joshua said, “Alas, Lord GOD, why have You brought this people over the Jordan at all—to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? Oh, that we had been content, and dwelt on the other side of the Jordan! 8 O Lord, what shall I say when Israel turns its back before its enemies? 9 For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land will hear it, and surround us, and cut off our name from the earth. Then what will You do for Your great name?”
The Sin of Achan

10 So the LORD said to Joshua: “Get up! Why do you lie thus on your face? 11 Israel has sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant which I commanded them. For they have even taken some of the accursed things, and have both stolen and deceived; and they have also put it among their own stuff. 12 Therefore the children of Israel could not stand before their enemies, but turned their backs before their enemies, because they have become doomed to destruction. Neither will I be with you anymore, unless you destroy the accursed from among you. 13 Get up, sanctify the people, and say, ‘Sanctify yourselves for tomorrow, because thus says the LORD God of Israel: “There is an accursed thing in your midst, O Israel; you cannot stand before your enemies until you take away the accursed thing from among you.” 14 In the morning therefore you shall be brought according to your tribes. And it shall be that the tribe which the LORD takes shall come according to families; and the family which the LORD takes shall come by households; and the household which the LORD takes shall come man by man. 15 Then it shall be that he who is taken with the accursed thing shall be burned with fire, he and all that he has, because he has transgressed the covenant of the LORD, and because he has done a disgraceful thing in Israel.’”
16 So Joshua rose early in the morning and brought Israel by their tribes, and the tribe of Judah was taken. 17 He brought the clan of Judah, and he took the family of the Zarhites; and he brought the family of the Zarhites man by man, and Zabdi was taken. 18 Then he brought his household man by man, and Achan the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, was taken.
19 Now Joshua said to Achan, “My son, I beg you, give glory to the LORD God of Israel, and make confession to Him, and tell me now what you have done; do not hide it from me.”
20 And Achan answered Joshua and said, “Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and this is what I have done: 21 When I saw among the spoils a beautiful Babylonian garment, two hundred shekels of silver, and a wedge of gold weighing fifty shekels, I coveted them and took them. And there they are, hidden in the earth in the midst of my tent, with the silver under it.”
22 So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran to the tent; and there it was, hidden in his tent, with the silver under it. 23 And they took them from the midst of the tent, brought them to Joshua and to all the children of Israel, and laid them out before the LORD. 24 Then Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerah, the silver, the garment, the wedge of gold, his sons, his daughters, his oxen, his donkeys, his sheep, his tent, and all that he had, and they brought them to the Valley of Achor. 25 And Joshua said, “Why have you troubled us? The LORD will trouble you this day.” So all Israel stoned him with stones; and they burned them with fire after they had stoned them with stones.
26 Then they raised over him a great heap of stones, still there to this day. So the LORD turned from the fierceness of His anger. Therefore the name of that place has been called the Valley of Achor[b] to this day.

2008/1/30 13:23Profile

Re:

Elanham,

i don't worship this thing or hold any thoughts about it except it is a curiosity. (well made, but of no religious or spiritual significance for me at all.) moreover, buddhism has no personal God of worship (a case can be made that buddhism has an impersonal universal creator) so there is nothing that God would be "jealous" of.

so, i don't see how the verses you (or loveyouall) posted are relevant.

bub

2008/1/30 15:12
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

dear bubbaguy,

my opinion is that i would agree that it shouldn't be in a believers home.

the concern for me would be the fact that i would have a god that many people worship (or pray with/to) and it is there in my house like it's no big deal.

what would unbelievers think when they see it in your house?
what would new believers think seeing it in your house?
what would mature believers think seeing it in your house?
what does God think seeing it in your house?

i think it is wrong and sends mixed feelings.

i personally have a jehovah's witness bible at my house (for when i talk with them and see how they change certain verses and passages) and i keep it in a drawer. the reason i do that is because i don't want people to think that i read that bible or study from it in my daily life. i don't endorse it and i wouldn't want anyone else to think that i do.

in the same manner, i wouldn't want a god (idol) that many people worship, pray, or meditate with to be in my house. i wouldn't want people to think that i endorse or promote buddha or buddhism and thereby send out mixed feelings.

what would you think if you walked into a house and they had pictures of mohammad in a couple rooms. would it not send mixed signals to you? (like why do they profess Christ, yet hold up another religion's prophet?)

that's about it for me. i think it is wrong and i think it looks bad for a believer to have that.

phil

2008/1/30 16:54Profile
elanham

Maryland

Re:

Buddism is one of the main world religions. Many buddhists express worship to the bust of buddha by bowing before it. Your desire to keep the image is greater than your love of the Truth. Gods assesment of graven images in the house of His people is clear as layed out by the scriptures that have been stated.

2008/1/30 17:06Profile
psalm1

Re:

Bubba, It could have been buried as a fetish.

File 13 that thing. You wont miss it or regret it.

God will bless you!

David

2008/1/31 14:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy