SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : More College Students Walking Away From Christianity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 More College Students Walking Away From Christianity

[b]More College Students Walking Away From Christianity[/b]

Allison Lynn grew up attending an Assemblies of God church with her family. But when she moved from home to go to Texas State University in San Marcos, she walked away from her faith.

Lynn's story is not unusual. An alarming number of college students are severing ties with the church. Some, such as Lynn, later return to the faith. Others walk away permanently.

More than two-thirds of Protestant young adults exit the church between the ages of 18 and 22, according to a recent report by LifeWay Research, a branch of the Southern Baptist Convention. ...

read more: http://www.christiannewstoday.com/Christian_News_Report_227.html

2008/1/28 10:58Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: More College Students Walking Away From Christianity

Hi Greg...

Interesting article! I do have questions in regard to whether it is [i]college[/i] that is the cause -- or if it is the newfound "liberty" and "independence" of this particular age (18-22 year olds) that might cause this "mass exodus" from the faith. I remember reading a Baptist study somewhere that stated that less than half of youth raised in Church will continue after they move out on their own (regardless of whether they attended college).

I think that a key is preparation. Have parents truly prepared their children for the real world?

I remember hearing a story told by a children's pastor about a mouse. The mouse was just starting to leave their nest, when Mommy Mouse told Junior, "[i]Stay away from the cheese on top of that wood[/i] (the mousetrap). [i]Otherwise, you'll be sorry[/i]!" Junior answered, "[i]Yes, Ma'am[/i]." Junior had no reason to doubt his mother's words. But as Junior passed by the cheese each day, he thought about the situation. "[i]The cheese certainly does LOOK good. It certainly does SMELL good. And I don't see any cats around at all[/i]!" So he climbs atop the wood, takes a nibble at the cheese and then -- BANG -- he gets killed by the trap!

The children's pastor who told this story (I have actually heard the same story several times from several preachers -- including one who used a pencil mouse and a mouse trap as the violent object lesson) stated a very familiar moral to the story: LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS, BECAUSE THEY KNOW MORE THAN YOU. But is that the true moral to this story? I used to listen to the story as a kid in Sunday School and wonder, "[i]Why didn't the mother explain to Junior that this was a TRAP, and that the trap could kill him[/i]?" In other words, the moral might better be stated in that parents should better prepare their children for the traps of this world.

I know Christians parents who are quick to explain the terrible practices of this world (and the ultimate Hellish end to such practices), but they fail to adequately explain just [u]why[/u] such practices are dangerous. In the story of Junior Mouse, the mother could have said, "[i]Look Junior -- this is an important thing that you need to know. We live in a house on borrowed time. The owner of that house wants us DEAD. He creates traps all over the house in order to kill us and destroy our race. That piece of cheese on top of that wood? It is simply a trap meant to entice you by your lust for cheese. If you nibble on it, it will set off a lever in which a metal bar will snap forward and either snap your neck and chop off your head[/i]." Do you see how a better explanation of the entire situation might prevent some thought of indulgences within new adults?

Alas, I fear that children are sometimes far too sheltered without proper explanation. How many father's say, "[i]You'll do it because I told you so[/i]," and simply leave it at that? How many pastors say, "[i]Sex before marriage is wrong because the Bible tells you so,[/i]" without properly explaining just WHY it is wrong and WHAT the immediate, mid-range, long term and ultimate outcome of such an action could be? While I certainly agree with sheltering our children, I think that we might do a disservice by failing to explain the rationale behind the "rules" of our household. While it is ultimately God who justifies those rules (because the Bible tells us so), a good explanation of such things seems to be worthwhile.

My sister-in-law is going to graduate from high school in May. She is a wonderful and godly young lady, but she has lived a sheltered life. My wife and I are planning on writing a long and intimate letter to her that will explain REAL LIFE to her. We want to be extremely candid with her about the things that many others learn the hard way. This will not be a "birds and the bees" type of letter. Rather, it will attempt to identify as many traps as possible while explaining the WHAT and WHY and OUTCOME of each. I would recommend every parent (especially the fathers) to have the same sort of talk with their daughters and sons.

Again, this is a thought provoking article. I am glad that the subject of the article returned to the Lord through the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship ministries located at many of today's colleges and universities. I actually met my wife through such a ministry! The incredibly godly student president of that local Chi Alpha was the "Best Man" at my wedding. It is nice to know that these sort of ministries exist at many institutions, and could be a wonderful incentive for enrollment.

:-)

2008/1/28 12:56Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Well we've segregated churches into youth and adult. We pamper our youths before we send them off into the real world. The children in todays churches aren't ready for the reality that they will face when they leave the nest. Instead of being equipped with the full armor of God, they leave church and their family entirely naked except for a WWJD wrist band.

The change needs to take place first at home, children must understand that the Bible has answers for every question brought against it, they must see their parents living in a biblical fashion and obedient to God. Then they need to be equipped in the church to be effective soul winners, not just for the souls of others, but for their own salvation. We need to teach our children to be Christian soldiers, not just baby-sit them until they're old enough to leave the church.

Too many youth groups are glorified social clubs, they need to be capital G Glorified! Unfortunately I don't see the trend changing unless the church of God repents for the lack of preparation we give to our children to stand firm in their generation.

2008/1/28 13:32Profile
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

There's plenty of failure to go around here:

1. The failure of campus student organizations. Almost all of them claim to combat this.

1b. The failure of the same groups to proclaim a Gospel which saves. Almost all of them (including BSM) are man-centered messages, focusing more on opportunities to socialize rather than seriously study the Word.

2. The failure of local churches to preach a Gospel that saves. A college student will not abandon his or her faith if they have it to begin with.

Blessings,

Jon

2008/1/28 14:40Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Lawevangelis...

Quote:
There's plenty of failure to go around here:

1. The failure of campus student organizations. Almost all of them claim to combat this.

1b. The failure of the same groups to proclaim a Gospel which saves. Almost all of them (including BSM) are man-centered messages, focusing more on opportunities to socialize rather than seriously study the Word.

I agree that there is a serious problem with many sort of campus Christian organizations that tend to preach a man-centered or social Gospel. The BSM on my campuses was notorious for their 5 minute "feel good about yourself" messages (just before a free lunch). In addition, there are certain groups (including Chi Alpha) on other campuses that do the same. However, the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship that I attended was quite different.

Our local Chi Alpha's meetings consisted of intimate worship and messages that were quite powerful and relevant. We had ministers who distributed free copies of powerful books (such as T. Austin Sparks' [i]The School of Christ[/i], Tozer's [i]The Knowledge of the Holy[/i], Bunyan's [i]Pilgrim's Progress[/i] and Ravenhill's [i]Why Revival Tarries[/i]) to students. Our prayer meetings were incredible! Our group tended to shy away from the "social gospel" of many student groups and focused on a real and intimate relationship with Christ. Our advisors were excellent teachers who instructed us about many often ignored precepts. Even the day-to-day conversations of fellow Chi Alpha students centered on the immenency of Christ in our lives and how to introduce Him to others.

While I certainly agree with your assessment of Christian student organizations as a whole (which seem like the modern "social" youth groups found at many churches -- centered around social events, involvement and music), I have to believe that there are still other organizations that are just as committed to the work of the Lord as our group was. Our organization was extremely visible -- to the glory of God. No one really cared about our organization's name or involvement in the national group (although some did choose to attend some conferences). Rather, we focused upon provoking one another on this narrow path to Heaven -- inviting our neighbors to join us on the journey. As a result, we grew from a small ministry of 5-10 people to well over 100 (most of whom found Christ during our meetings on the campus and during our prayer meetings). Many of us still keep in touch via email. The best thing is that the majority of these have continued to walk with Christ long after graduation.

Why do so many 18-22 year olds walk away from the Lord when they move out on their own? I think that the culprit is not just the social gospel presented by the local youth groups. I don't think that it is simply the failure of campus student organizations and local churches. I think that many of the students, like you said, do not have a real or sound faith to begin with. And whose responsibility is it to introduce such a relationship?

Certainly the church is to blame for setting a bad example to youth through man-centered youth groups. Certainly, the same can be said about many campus student organizations. But ultimately, it boils down to the responsibility of parents. Have these youth been properly instructed in the ways of the Lord? Have they been prepared for their spiritual journey into the "real world?" Has the "whole counsel of God" been thoroughly presented to youth and young adults? Or has our instruction been diluted by an attitude to shelter children from evil or a desire to keep youth involved in the local Church (as a replacement for the inner desires for the world)?

This is an important thing to think about.

:-(

2008/1/28 16:03Profile

perhaps if the Church had credibility, young people would not leave. when the story you tell people about how humans got to be here conflicts with the vast majority of credible scientists and the geological record, the most important Truth (of Salvation through Christ) that the Church proclaims is undermined.

bub

2008/1/28 16:11

The question is: do those young Christian boys and girls have to go to the modern college as a place to learn and grow? What do they usually go there for? Knowledge, status, recognition? I believe most of them do find what they are looking for in college--and it may not be the Christ.

If I were a parent, I would never send my kids to college. They don't belong there as much as they don't belong in the pub house. They needn't go to college to see the world's system's vilest traits. They don't even need to go to college to learn the world's wisdom. Going to college will sure grant them some status and acceptance in the world. But this is all vanity. They don't belong there if they are Christian.

2008/1/28 16:20
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi NotMe...

Quote:
The question is: do those young Christian boys and girls have to go to the modern college as a place to learn and grow? What do they usually go there for? Knowledge, status, recognition?

Actually, I think that most of them go to earn a [u]degree[/u] which will likely provide more opportunities for better employment than a mere high school diploma.
Quote:
If I were a parent, I would never send my kids to college. They don't belong there as much as they don't belong in the pub house. They needn't go to college to see the world's system's vilest traits. They don't even need to go to college to learn the world's wisdom. Going to college will sure grant them some status and acceptance in the world. But this is all vanity. They don't belong there if they are Christian.

I understand your opinion, but is this "world's system of vile traits" confined to [i]college[/i]? I thought that you can see these traits at work, or by walking into Wal-Mart, or going to the grocery store, or even by relaxing on a park bench. While no one [i]needs[/i] to go to college, a college education can provide skill that can enhance the opportunities for a better job. Yes, the "Lord can open any doors" -- but that is not usually the case for a person who would like a good job while wanting to provide for his family.

Every town needs skilled Engineers. People do not become licensed engineers by studying on their own. The same is true with nursing, doctors, pilots, etc... A degree is simply an opportunity that might not be afforded to a person without one.

Besides, most college CLASSES differ quite a bit from the "pub house." Most colleges have strict guidelines for conduct, and even enforce certain rules for study. Yes, there are some individuals who choose to engage in less than ideal extracurricular activities. But this is not the purpose of a college (and may, in fact, be a result of newfound "liberty" after moving away from home).

A truly responsible believer will not be "led astray" for learning skills at a University. While they may not agree with some of the things that are taught in regard to science or culture, they can still learn beneficial things (ask the great missionary Dr. David Livingstone) for ministry, work or profession. In fact, they can learn to rightly divide worldly wisdom from pure truth.

:-)

2008/1/28 16:49Profile

Re:

Quote:
That piece of cheese on top of that wood? It is simply a trap meant to entice you by your lust for cheese. If you nibble on it, it will set off a lever in which a metal bar will snap forward and either snap your neck and chop off your head."

Gulp!

2008/1/28 18:07
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Instead of being equipped with the full armor of God, they leave church and their family entirely naked except for a WWJD wrist band.

Sad...but many times true.

Quote:
We need to teach our children to be Christian soldiers, not just baby-sit them until they're old enough to leave the church.

Amen. Good post iansmith

2008/1/28 18:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy