Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Truth About the Church -tollefson

[b]Truth About the Church[/b]
[i]by Garry Tollefson[/i]

If you're one of the growing number of people who has a sense that something is missing from Evangelicalism - - you have recognized symptoms or have identified certain pieces or elements that don't seem quite right- but you can't fully articulate or explain the entire picture … then read the book "The Old Evangelicalism" by Iain H. Murray.

I have strong memories of evangelistic services when the lostness of man and the devastating effects of sin were soundly preached. Will my sons have the same memory?

There is a quote from William Booth (who seemed to have a prophetic understanding of the century that lay ahead of his life) explains the dangers the Church would face in the twentieth century, but also clearly characterized the weakening theology of the church 100 years later: "Religion without the holy Ghost, Christianity without Christ, forgiveness without repentance, salvation without regeneration, politics without God and heaven without hell."

When the evangelical church realizes that it is operating in its own strength rather than on the power of the Holy Spirit, when it returns Christ to the centre of its theology rather than accommodating the beliefs and trends of the world, when the love of God is balanced with the justice of God, when forgiveness is coupled with repentance, when converts are taught that the holiness of the believer means becoming a new creation rather than encouraged to remain in their lifestyles, when the torment of hell is combined with the blessings of heaven, then the evangelical church can expect to regain its prominence in being a key element in God's kingdom.

2008/1/27 14:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy