Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Reading the Bible -mcleod

[b]Reading the Bible[/b]
[i]by Bill McLeod[/i]

"A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones." Prov. 17:22
"A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance, but by sorrow of the heart, the spirit is broken." Prov. 15:13
In Zecahriah 8:19 we read, "… love the truth and peace." Daniel spoke of "the Scripture of truth" Daniel 10:21. A philosopher is a lover of wisdom. A Christian should be a lover of truth.

I must confess that I become alarmed by the number of Christian books, CDs, DVDs in many Christian homes where the Word of God is little known. People tell me that they spend hours daily listening to CDs on the deeper Christian life. It seems they are spiritually insecure and must constantly fortify themselves against falling. The ministry of Christian books and CDs must not be at the expense of the Word of God. I have some eighteen hundred books in my library. I love to read and study but I spend most of my time with the Word of God

Suppose there is a flowing well in your back yard. Beautiful sparkling clear water flows out of a three inch pipe. The overflow runs into a ditch and hundreds of yards along finally merges with a larger stream. What would your neighbours think if they saw you daily scooping water into a pail a hundred yards away from the well? In flowing along, the water has picked up some impurities. Dogs have run through it and people have thrown slops into it and yet you're using it as drinking water.

In international countries we are always warned about drinking water. One hot day in Chile, my wife and I were very thirsty. We turned on the tap and seemingly got clean, cold water. My wife drank and later suffered from chileatis for some twenty-four hours. In India people laughed when we told them we had purification pills for the water. They told us that before putting in the pills we would have to strain the junk from the water!

The Bible is like that fountain in your back yard. Why drink so much from books which likely mix impurities with truth. You may not see the impurities but they are in there. In drinking from the fountain of the Word of God you know that there are no impurities. We need teachers who will teach us the blessed Word of God. I dislike Bibles with footnotes. The footnotes may be fine but there are some with which I cannot agree. I have noted that some people adopt the footnotes as inspired of God too!

One Bible writer said, "I rejoice at Thy Word, as one of that finds great spoil." Psalm 119:162. This should be my attitude to the Word of God. "Thy Words were found and I did eat them, and Thy Word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart…" Jeremiah 15:16. We are to "love" the truth. We should love the Word of God because it is all TRUTH. We should love it because it has come to us (at great cost) from God! We should "search the Scriptures daily Acts 17:11. Sometimes I hold the Bible in my hands towards heaven, press it to my bosom and thank God for having given us this blessed book. Books and CDs are good only insofar as they communicate the living Word of the living God.

2008/1/27 14:58Profile
reformer

Re: Reading the Bible -mcleod

Quote:
I must confess that I become alarmed by the number of Christian books, CDs, DVDs in many Christian homes where the Word of God is little known. People tell me that they spend hours daily listening to CDs on the deeper Christian life. It seems they are spiritually insecure and must constantly fortify themselves against falling. The ministry of Christian books and CDs must not be at the expense of the Word of God. I have some eighteen hundred books in my library. I love to read and study but I spend most of my time with the Word of God

I can relate...I find myself being overcome with much anxiety if I don't listen to CD's or other avenues of spiritual growth. I have replaced my time on the web, and sermons series on TV. It all has left me searching in vanity. I realized this an mentioned it in a link below in a confession.

Great post Greg!!

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=21950&forum=44&3

2008/1/27 15:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy