SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sam P. Jones on Theology

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Sam P. Jones on Theology

[i]I have never made theology a study. The great doctrines of depravity and repentance and justification and regeneration and of the judgment and final award, I have preached with all the clearness of my mind and all the unction of my heart. I have never tried to show a congregation the difference between evangelical and legal repentance. I have never discussed whether depravity was total or partial, or simply developed. I have never tried to prove there was a God, or that Christ was divine, or that there was a heaven or a hell. [b]I have made these things, not an objective point, but a starting point.[/b] They have furnished the basis for all I have said, and they are either the inspirations of my hopes, or the ground-works of my fears. I have left the proof of the inspiration of the Bible, the demonstration of the fact that there is a God, the settlement of the question as to heaven and hell, to those who make a specter of such things and then speculate upon them, to the "muddy physicians." [b]My idea has always been that Christ meant what he said when he said, "Preach the Gospel," not defend it; "Preach the Word," not try to prove the Word is true.[/b]
The finest compliment I have ever had was in the second year of my ministry, when a little son of one of my members said: "Father, will Mr. Jones be returned to this circuit next year?"
The father replied he hoped so, and asked his son, "Why?" "Well," said the.boy, " I want him to come back, because he is the only preacher I ever listened to that I can understand every thing he says."
I believe it is possible to preach our best thoughts and highest conceptions of God and truth so that children may understand us. The fact that they do not understand us is better proof that we are "muddy" than that we are high, for truth is like the water of the River of Life—clear as crystal. [/i]

-Sam P Jones, 1887 (from [url=http://books.google.com/books?id=hS8RAAAAIAAJ&dq]Sam Jones' Own Book[/url], pp.34-35, 36-37)

2008/1/24 13:19Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re: Sam P. Jones on Theology

Quote:
The finest compliment I have ever had was in the second year of my ministry, when a little son of one of my members said: "Father, will Mr. Jones be returned to this circuit next year?"

Matthew 11:25 (NKJV) 25At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.

Matthew 19:13 - 14 (NKJV) 13Then little children were brought to Him that He might put His hands on them and pray, but the disciples rebuked them. 14But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 18:1 - 7 (NKJV) 1At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me. 6“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea. 7Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!

Thank you iansmith for this timely quote. May God raise up more of his kind on the earth.

Paul said:
1 Corinthians 8:1 - 3 (NASB) 1Now concerning things sacrificed to idols, we know that we all have knowledge. [b]Knowledge makes arrogant[/b], but love edifies. 2[i]If anyone supposes that he knows anything, he has not yet known as he ought to know;[/i] 3but if anyone loves God, he is known by Him.

Clint

2008/1/24 20:39Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy