SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Arminian 'gospel'? (Spurgeon)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Arminian 'gospel'? (Spurgeon)

The Arminian 'gospel'?

Spurgeon, "The Two Effects of the Gospel"

The Arminians tell us that a man may receive
spiritual life, and yet may die eternally.

That is to say, a man may be forgiven, and yet be punished
afterwards; he may be justified from all sin, and yet after that,
his transgressions can be laid on his shoulders again;
a man may be born of God, and yet die in his sins; a man may
be loved of God today, and yet God may hate him tomorrow.

Oh! I cannot bear to speak of such lies.
As for me, I so deeply believe in the immutable love
of Jesus that I suppose that if one believer were to be in hell,
Christ himself would not long stay in heaven, but would cry,
"To the rescue!"

Oh! if Jesus Christ were in glory with one the gems lacking
in his crown, and Satan had that gem, Satan would say,
"Aha! prince of light and glory, I have one of your jewels!"
and he would hold it up, and then he would say,
"Aha! you died for this man, but you had not strength enough
to save him; you loved him once--where is your love?
It is not worth having, for you then hate him afterwards!"

And how would Satan chuckle over that 'heir of heaven',
and hold him up, and say, "This man was redeemed;
Jesus Christ purchased him with his blood!"
And plunging him in the waves of hell, he would say,
"There 'purchased one' see how I can rob the Son of God!"
And then again he would say, "This man was forgiven, behold
the justice of God! He is to be punished again after he is
forgiven. Christ suffered for this man's sins once, and yet"
says Satan with a malignant joy, "I have him now;
for God exacted the punishment twice!"

Shall that ever be said? Ah! no!
Arminian, go away with your vile gospel.
My Master said, "I give unto my sheep ETERNAL life,
and they shall never perish, neither shall any man
pluck them out of my hands."

Let the Arminian go and preach his 'gospel'.
Let them go and tell poor sinners, that if they believe in Jesus
they may be damned after all, that Jesus Christ will forgive
them and yet the Father may afterwards send them to hell.

2008/1/23 21:24
repentcanada

Re: The Arminian 'gospel'? (Spurgeon)

strong.

2008/1/24 11:24Profile

This makes me glad that I am neither an Arminian OR a Calvinist!

Krispy

2008/1/24 12:10
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:

I had to smile when I read this. I just ended up deleting a post for this thread not 10 minutes ago. I had it all typed out - a rational reply on how unbalanced [i]both[/i] sides are (independant of each other), and how, like in algebra, to solve for "x" one must cancel out the factors on both sides of the equal sign.

Well, I was rubbing my hands together, ready to click "submit" and then remembered the Lord's admonition years ago: "Paul, you said you wouldn't get involved in these types of discussions on SermonIndex. If you post this, you'll only generate an argument."

It was nice to see Krispy use simple arithmetic. :-)

2008/1/24 12:28Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:

no doubt. i am with you on that.

phil

2008/1/24 12:28Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

What's the Calvinist interpretation of this parable?

Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 [b]Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.[/b]
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took [him] by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, [b]till he should pay all that was due unto him.[/b]
Mat 18:35 [b]So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.[/b]

2008/1/24 13:00Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Quote:

What's the Calvinist interpretation of this parable?

Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 [b]Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.[/b]
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took [him] by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, [b]till he should pay all that was due unto him.[/b]
Mat 18:35 [b]So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.[/b]

AMEN PreachParsely, it is undeniable what this text is saying-so perfectly put....

2008/1/24 13:02Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

If we are promoting man's system of theology more then the scriptures and even God Himself (Christ) then we are already off base.

2008/1/24 14:19Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Dear Abe_Juliott

I noted that nearly all your posts are centered around this age old debate. I have a great respect for Spurgeon and listen to him ofen but I think he had a quite simplistic view of Arminianism. I am not picking up a fight with you, God bless you.

Siboleth or Shiboleth? Many fruitless and loveless words have been lost in this debate. Brother kills brother in 'friendly' fire.

Here is an anekdote from A.W.Tozer's biography:

I (Cliff Westergren) was preparing to go to Nyack College. Before I left there was one burning question I had in mind, and I went to Dr. Tozer and said, "Could you give me some advice concerning the problem of Calvinism versus Arminianism?"

And I'll never forget the advice he gave me. At the time I thought it was rather inconclusive and not too helpful. But I listened carefully. He said, "My son, when you get to college you're going to find that all of the boys will be gathered in a room discussing and arguing over Arminianism and Calvinism night after night after night. I'll tell you what to do, Cliff. Go to your room and meet God. At the end of four years you'll be way down the line and they'll still be where they started, because greater minds than yours have wrestled with this problem and have not come up with satisfactory conclusions. Instead, learn to know God."

I am neither and both - call me a Christian. If I would tell you my position and you would disagree with me I am still looking forward to share eternity with you.

Philip

2008/1/24 14:45Profile

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Krispy

Me too!

Abe, I honestly don't understand why you set one man-made system of theology up against another like this.

Being, like Krispy, "none of the above" I'm not offended, just puzzled why you should bother.

It's almost as if you are worshipping Calvinist theology!

It can be profitable to discuss such things in order to seek more understanding of what the Bible actually says. For example, though a recent discussion I changed from thinking that [i]both[/i] predestination and freewill are true, to thinking that maybe [i]neither[/i] really fit the facts!

But setting one [i]against[/i] the other in this manner, as if one is absolutely right and the other absolutely wrong, is counter-productive to any real exploration of Truth.

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/24 14:46

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy