Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Jimmy Swaggart

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
theevangelist

United States Of America

Jimmy Swaggart

I think Brother Jimmy Swaggart would fit perfectly with the preachers on this website. They all preach repentance, the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and holiness. So why aren't his sermons on here?

2003/8/5 13:04Profile
PJ

Re: Jimmy Swaggart

He may preach repentance, but has he ever truly repented himself? In my opinion from what I've read and heard, his biggest problem was not sexual but instead was pride. He got way to be for his britches and thought that his ministry was the only one that was going to change the world. Listen to Jim Cymbala's sermon 'The Future of Pentecost'. It's fairly obvious that the preacher he is refering to is Jimmy Swaggart and the man who told him to shut his ministry down was David Wilkerson. His response to Wilkerson's advice was prideful. His own pride forced him to drop out of the A/G instead of accepting their disipline. Has he ever repented of his pride? Until I see a truly humble man who is truly repentet, he remains one of the last preachers that I care to listen to.

Just my opinion,

PJ

2003/8/5 14:57Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Jimmy Swaggart

Quote:
I think Brother Jimmy Swaggart would fit perfectly with the preachers on this website.

Personally I think that Jimmy Swaggart's witness has been severly damaged, even though we all sin and fall, Here is the a quote about it:

"America's first televangelist Jim Bakker paid some $265,000 to cover up a sexual misadventure. Later he was convicted of misspending millions of followers' dollars. Rival preacher Jimmy Swaggart called the Bakker scandal a cancer. That was before Swaggart was photographed visiting a prostitute named Debra Murphree. According to Murphree, he was 'kind of perverted...I wouldn't want him around my children.'
When you look at it objectively, Jimmy Swaggart's most famous transgression doesn't quite measure up to those of many of his
counterparts with regards to the mountains of false teaching and practice. But what it lacked in substance, it more than made up for in style. Swaggart was immortalized by his tearful televised confession ... but some time later, he was stopped while driving in his rented Jaguar with yet another 'ady of the evening.'
At last report, Bro. Jimmy, having been told to remove himself from the pastorate, is enjoying God's "anointing" on his life in a new church of his own, having disregarded the advice of his elders. He is basking in a veritable blizzard of blessings (including a fleet of Mercedes Benzes) -- irrefutable evidence that God apparently endorses legalized prostitution."

Quote:
They all preach repentance, the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and holiness. So why aren't his sermons on here?

I would vouch not to put his sermons on the site. But I would like to hear other people's opinions? thanks. :-P

2003/8/5 14:57Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
Personally I think that Jimmy Swaggart's witness has been severly damaged

You didn't mention anything about his son, Donnie. I think this minister of God is doing a great work for our Lord and savior. His messages can ignite a fireand zeal inside those who visit this website. I will say this about Jimmy, and that is, the anointing that was upon Bro. Jimmy Swaggart's ministry is the same anointing that is on it today. Nobody can question the anointing of God and calling that God places on a life. Also, his message and witness is just as strong as it has ever been. My question is, how many men of God are willing to come right out and confess their sin before everybody? Not very many. I believe you're judging by what has happened in his past and forgetting about what God has done and is doing in his life recently. But, that's up to you. It's only more wisdom, knowledge, and counsel of a Godly man that's been around to tell about it that you're missing out on. And If you haven't heard him lately, he's walking a victorious life and his messages are just as powerful than they've ever been.

2003/8/5 15:44Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

My question for you PJ is, when was the last time you heard from or of him? The Bible tells us that man judges the outward appearance, but God judges the what??? Yep, the heart. Do you know his heart? You will never know his heart so you aren't the one to say so or even question unless you're God himself, which in that case we both know that you obviously aren't!

2003/8/5 15:48Profile
laholmes

Re:

Whoa, Whoa man. I see Greg's point in all of this. A man who has an addiction to alcohol should not be in a bar. If he has truly repented and turned away from these things, why have we not seen a change in his behavior? For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. We forget repentance does not mean saying I'm sorry, and then moving on. It means an actual change of life. It actually means to change your mind. The word [i]metanoeo[/i] in the greek means to actually change your mind. To no longer live the way we did before. Are we all guilty of slip up's? Absolutely. But to continue to live the way we did before demonstrates a total lack of [i]true[/i] repentance in the first place

2003/8/5 16:00Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Jimmy Swaggart has insisted that Catholicism is a "false cult" and "not a Christian religion," and has said that Jews suffer because they reject Christ. (14,16,20) He has called the U. S. Supreme Court and Congress "institutions damned by God. "(19) [b]Swaggart has also said, "All people everywhere know that lazy preachers, immoral preachers, and greedy preachers are a disgrace to themselves and to the work of God.[/b] "(10) When fellow Assemblies of God preacher Jimmy Bakker and his wife Tammy Faye were expelled from PTL Ministries, [b]Swaggart called the scandal a "cancer that needs to be excised from the body of Christ. "[/b](20) In an article entitled "Brother's Reproval is Bold but Misguided," from The Evangelist of July 1987, Swaggart responds to a letter-writer who says that he is a Christian pastor. In his short letter, the pastor says, among other things, "God has required me to write this word to you. . . you must repent your sin and get out of bed with these `strange bedfellows. '" Swaggart's two-page response closes with, "I think the statements you have made have been made out of your lack of experience. And if you really love the Lord and are seeking to follow Him, you will look back in years to come. . . and be very embarassed at these statements. "(10) A short three months later, Swaggart was photographed entering and leaving a New Orleans motel where, it was later divulged, he had hired a prostitute to pose nude for him. The photographs were revealed to the Assemblies of God headquarters in February 1988 and resulted in Swaggart being banned from preaching temporarily. Jimmy Swaggart confessed his unnamed sin before his Baton Rouge congregation, his wife, and his family, all of whom appeared to forgive his straying. (19,20)

There you Go! he even says it himself that preachers that are set apart to be examples to the saints and preach the Word of God but are Immoral are a disgrace to the work of God. Also Swaggart said that others involved with practicing of Sin should be excercised out of the Body of Christ but he himself is free from such seperation? He didn't listen to his elders or even denomination but took matters in his own hands, I guess he is above all of them spiritually anyways.

I don't enjoy digging the dirt up on men of God but I believe in the scriptures Paul warns us to associate with believers that are immoral or fornicators. I don't think I have to justify my postition further unless you need references to those passages of scriptures?

2003/8/5 16:04Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
If he has truly repented and turned away from these things, why have we not seen a change in his behavior? For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Absolutely.. we do not know the man's heart but we can judge the tree by its fruit! 'Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.' - 1 Thess 5:21-22

2003/8/5 16:10Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

When was the last time you heard of Swaggart? Yes, I'm very aware of what repentance is; and if you failed to hear me before, let me say it again, who are we to say that he hasn't repented truly? Are you there to see him mess up? are you watching him? And the reason he didn't want the Assemblies of God's help wasn't that he was to "prideful" for them, it was more the fact that had he gone along with their counselling to help him back into the ministry, he would've gone against his own beliefs by submitting himself to the as Ravenhill said "trash of so-called Christian Psychology"...in the which the A/G's promote, and are promoting more and more. I would know because I am an A/G minister. I don't agree with it and it's also something that Bro. Wilkerson, Swaggart, and Ravenhill all preach out against.

2003/8/5 16:11Profile
theevangelist

United States Of America

Re:

Quote:
Absolutely.. we do not know the man's heart but we can judge the tree by its fruit! 'Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil.' - 1 Thess 5:21-22

When was the last time you've personally seen that "tree"? And once again you failed to say anything about his son Donnie.

Quote:
I went about 6 months back and watched abit of one of the Videos of there church service. And Jimmy Swaggart was talking about this dream he had that he was slaying a dragon, and he went on and on.. and the whole spirit of it seemed definetly false to me.. The Holy Spirit in me didn't bare witness at all. To sum it up.. 'it seemed quite creepy and I wouldn't feel safe in that church'.

Can you document that for me as well?

2003/8/5 16:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy