Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hollywood and the Church and revivial

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

BrianPaul:

You speak about Holiness about what Wesley said about Ravenhill said.

How do we become Holy?

What are you doing to make you Holy?

2008/1/23 4:42Profile
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Re:

Quote:
How do we become Holy?

Quote:
What are you doing to make you Holy?

Well one thing you cans start with is 2 Cor 7:1 - Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. The fear of God is one place to start. But for me personally something i dwell on most in regard to holiness is, how do i consecrate all of who i am in light of who God is. Every act i partake in, i ask myself is this activity rooted from the first and second greatest commands, thou shalt love the Lord thy God, and thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. American Heritage Dictionary says holiness is "Specified or set apart for a religious purpose: a holy place." Now to think about the Temple, and more specifically the Holy of Holies. Would we walk in there and start defiling it by say, bringing in pagan idols? Of course not. We would watch ourself, because we know this is the dwelling place of God. "In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit" (Ephesians 2:22) Now this word habitation means "a permanent residence". So if God be in us permanently, let us take heed how we show affections toward that which is in the world.

Hopefully this makes sense, and you are encouraged to read, pray, and do, what the Good Book says.

2008/1/23 13:20Profile
dbm

Lisle, Illinois

Re:

Murrcolr, I'm greatly encouraged by your honesty, thank you for that. We should all have so little fear to reveal ourselves before God and the Church for who we really are/have been. Your post was a blessing as I've had similar struggles with drugs myself.

Also your mention of the computer is something I struggle with as well. My job requires that I use one or it would be out the door with the TV that I tossed in the dumpster.

I haven't had cable for years and haven't watched television proper for years outside of being places where its on. This was initially do to the medical studies on how it affects the brain, but as God moved through my life it took on a more dire urgency.

Up until a month ago I still had a tv set and vcr so that I could watch documentaries and whatnot, but I realized that I needed to start focusing more on the Bible and less on worldly knowledge. God rebuked me with the fact that I was trying to justify things that needn't be justified, that God's Word was sufficient outside of any secular knowledge.

The tv/vcr sat unused for almost a year and I finally just threw them out, and I was shocked at the fact that my apartment actually got quieter. Even the blank screen was creating spiritual background noise.

David

2008/1/23 14:02Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi HomeFree89...

Quote:
My family also got rid of the TV several years ago and now all we have is a DVD player. We only watch select Christian DVDs and some science videos, but not often.

How do you watch them if you don't have a TV? Do you watch DVDs on your computer? Forgive me for asking, but I am very interested. One day (God willing), my wife and I will have children. We are interested in this topic because we don't want to subject our future children to poison, nor allow them to make their own decision about whether or not they want to commit mental suicide via the TV.

Of course, the television is simply a machine that plays programs (like a radio, DVD player or computer). The only effective "V chip" are the eyes and minds of the owners themselves. But this is an extremely difficult task, because even "innocent" shows can be harmful.

I own a television. Like many others, we limit our viewing quite a bit. My wife and I watch the news, educational programming, some sporting events and, of course, DVD sermons. I particularly enjoy watching educational programs (about nature, science, history, etc...), but even these are watched with a cautious reservation concerning the views presented. If I remember correctly, even Leonard Ravenhill cited a nature program (about giraffes) during his final interview.

The key, I suppose, is to cautiously monitor the airwaves as readily we do our Internet habits. But this can be extremely difficult to do for children. Thus, we plan on limiting our future children from viewing ANYTHING if we are not present and permitting. The hearts of children are far too impressionable to regard such matters as unimportant.

:-(

2008/1/23 14:08Profile
BrianPaul

Moorpark, CA

Re:

Quote:
Even the blank screen was creating spiritual background noise.

This is a great quote, i would put it in a qoute book if i had one. Lol.

2008/1/23 14:52Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

ccchhhrrriiisss wrote:
Hi HomeFree89...
Quote:
My family also got rid of the TV several years ago and now all we have is a DVD player. We only watch select Christian DVDs and some science videos, but not often.

How do you watch them if you don't have a TV? Do you watch DVDs on your computer? Forgive me for asking, but I am very interested. One day (God willing), my wife and I will have children. We are interested in this topic because we don't want to subject our future children to poison, nor allow them to make their own decision about whether or not they want to commit mental suicide via the TV.

Of course, the television is simply a machine that plays programs (like a radio, DVD player or computer). The only effective "V chip" are the eyes and minds of the owners themselves. But this is an extremely difficult task, because even "innocent" shows can be harmful.

I own a television. Like many others, we limit our viewing quite a bit. My wife and I watch the news, educational programming, some sporting events and, of course, DVD sermons. I particularly enjoy watching educational programs (about nature, science, history, etc...), but even these are watched with a cautious reservation concerning the views presented. If I remember correctly, even Leonard Ravenhill cited a nature program (about giraffes) during his final interview.

The key, I suppose, is to cautiously monitor the airwaves as readily we do our Internet habits. But this can be extremely difficult to do for children. Thus, we plan on limiting our future children from viewing ANYTHING if we are not present and permitting. The hearts of children are far too impressionable to regard such matters as unimportant.

:-(

Hi Chris,

Well, my mom just told me that it is actually a TV, but with the DVD player in it. However, we live far enough out from the city that we don't receive any channels. If we lived in the city we'd probably just use the computer to watch DVDs. Please forgive for misspeaking, I was mistaken about the TV, but needless to say, we still don't watch TV.

If you want to, you can get a monitor that only allows you to watch videos and it doesn't receive an TV channels. They're kind of expensive, so you might want to checkout ebay or amazon for them.

Jordan

2008/1/23 15:52Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

I would say for the last 1-1/2 years I have been laying things to the side trying in my on strength to be Holy.

It has not been working.

Yes I am closer with God.

I can see Peter made a complete mess of it and denied Jesus. Then in acts we see a diffrent Peter. I believe that on that day Peter was not only filled with the Holy Spirit but was made Holy. He was set apart he went into a place of full submission to God's will for his life.

It's by FAITH you become Holy. This where I have gone wrong by trying to do it myself. Trying to live a life of Holiness but in my own power and denying his power. I cannot go on this way anymore this must and will change in my life.

Brengle says:

"True, God did a thorough work, brother. When He converted you, He forgave all your sins, every one of them. He did not leave half of them unforgiven, but blotted them all out as a thick cloud to be remembered against you no more for ever. He also adopted you into His family and sent His Holy Spirit into your heart to tell you that blessed bit of heavenly news; and that information made you feel happier than to have been told that you had fallen heir to a million dollars, or been elected governor of a state, for this made you an heir of God and a joint heir of all things with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Glory to God! It is a great thing to be converted. But, brother, are you saved from all impatience, anger and like sins of the heart? Do you live a holy life?"

The fact is, that neither the Bible nor experience proves that a man gets a clean heart when he is converted, but just the contrary. He does have his sins forgiven; he does receive the witness of adoption into God's own family; he does have his affections changed. But before he has gone very far he will find his patience mixed up with some degree of impatience, his kindness mixed with wrath, his meekness mixed with anger (which is of the heart and may not be seen of the world, but of which he is painfully conscious), his humility mixed with pride, his loyalty to Jesus mixed with a shame of the Cross, and, in fact, the fruit of the Spirit and the works of the flesh, in greater or less degree, are all mixed up together.

But this will be done away with when he gets a clean heart, and it will take a second work
of grace, preceded by a whole-hearted consecration and as definite an act of faith as that which preceded his conversion, to get it.
After conversion, he finds his old sinful nature much like a tree which has been cut down,
but the stump still left. The tree causes no more bother, but the stump will still bring forth little shoots, if it is not watched. The quickest and most effective way is to put some dynamite under the stump and blow it up.

Any child of God can have this, if he will give himself wholly to God and ask for it in
faith. "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find ... If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him" (Luke xi. 9, 13). Seek Him with all your heart, and you shall find Him; you shall indeed, for God says so, and He is waiting to give Himself to you.

I will provide a link to
Helps to Holiness by Samuel Brengle

http://wesley.nnu.edu/wesleyctr/books/0301-0400/HDM0348.PDF

2008/1/25 19:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy