SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Depression: A refining process used by God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

I'm grateful this Topic came up Today.

I've been depressed for about 11 days. Not for myself, but nonetheless, it would like to take one down.

I'm going to be frank here (next week I'll be Sam :), but some have asked me "why" I seem more "mellow" within a certain time frame in comparison to another.

Well, here comes true confessions time - Late Neuro Lyme eats your brain. No joke.

I was infected three times in the 90's but it wasn't until much later that we found out that the 30 days of doxycycline I was prescribed each time was not sufficient to "take it out". So, progressive damage was being done to many organs of my body but of course, most noticeably, to my brain.
This in turn, affected every brain function there is - DUH - that was really needed to be said - huh?

Organic depression, anxiety and a host of other manifestations began to present and well - I can only describe the years of struggling as hell on earth.

BUT GOD ... once the diagnosis was made - I had to turn to HIM or "lose it". This was when I had the Break-thru.

I knew God was bigger than my "brain" after having worked with so many patients with dementia, alzheimers and psych.

I refused the anti-depressants because of what I knew about them.

I took several breaks from the internet to seek Him.

Knowing we were dealing with a "physical" entity, my faith muscles were stretched to their max.

BUT GOD...

During this time - God has used this nightmarish disintegration of my most needed (I thought :) organ to double my compassion for those who do have organic or situational depression or any other mental anguish and physical problems.

GOD said - "die to self - no one needs a brain -
just TRUST ME - I won't let you go."

:-D

Romans 8:28 is FOR 29.

Since then, my memory is better and I can read whatever HE wants me to read. If it's not from Him, my brain won't read it.
It's sort of like a blind person's use of that stick they carry. He's been the stick.

This thread reminds me again of the suicide thread we had last summer.

I came yo close friends. BUT GOD...

So feeling for those who go through these things comes close to home for me personally.

There are several causes of depression - "hope deferred, losses, unresolved guilt, false guilt and all the others that others have mentioned - but from the best sources, the "chemical imbalance" deal has been ruled out. Any possiblity of any "chemical imbalance" comes "after" the thought processes start going south. So drugs are not the answer - but Very Biblical counseling, prayer and FAITH is.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing The Word of GOD and it also helps if you know others are praying for you. :-)

One part of even "Choice Theory", is Love.
Choice theory explains that the person is "choosing to depress" - rather than take affirmative action of whatever sort needed.
Love for others helps. Love can keep you and others alive. His Love is self-less. Sometimes "tough-love" can depress us - but sometimes His Love is "tough" ... if it will snatch a soul from the enemy's delusions.

I Bless GOD that against all prognosis-es of man - that even brain eating entities can be reversed or over-ridden by The Creator Himself.

These type actions also, are a God-send for [u]us[/u] - http://www.prisoneralert.com/ and getting a monthly subscription to The Voice of the Martyrs ....... "actions" like that, engages GOD (and good chemistry) all the faster - as LS also stated.

GOD BLESS and thanks again for this discussion Today!

2008/1/21 17:58

Re:

Quote:
If we are seeking the help of people, before we seek God, then those people become idols in our lives.

You don't seem harsh at all, and I knew exactly what you meant.

When we become the person another becomes dependent on, they will never learn to walk on their own two feet. They don't know about idolatry really, but just think God sent someone to be their crutch.

There is a lot of tough love that must be there! It's a difficult place to be.

I have a friend I've known for nearly 25 years. We met when we were both abandoned by our husbands. Both Christians, yet very young in the Lord. I had a very strong faith at the time, and really Knew the Lord as my life and strength. I always praised God for His being there for me and teh Children, and was never bitter ( however deeply hurt) that I needed to rehash and rehash what a terrible person my husband was. I found forgiveness through the Power of Christ. But my friend didn't want to hear that part, she just wanted to talk about how horrible her life was because of him....so we actually grew apart.

I see my friend still often, and have noticed that she hasn't changed at all. Her best friend always becomes a person who is going through what she is going through, and when another situation comes along, that friend is overthrown by a new one who can identify with that issue.

I'm so glad the Lord parted the close bond, and moved me out into a positive environment.

So, many times because we think we have been through something and can help, we can also get burned too.

I learned a great lesson from this... and hopefully you hear what I am saying.

Satan knows our weaknesses too, and may even appeal to your sense of helping someone to bring you down.

So, My advice, don't start counseling people if you yourself have been through emotional and mental issues. ......until you are so strong in the Lord, you know when to move on, and when to stay!

Love In Christ
Katy

2008/1/21 18:47

Re:

Excellent post Sis. Thanks from all of us!

2008/1/21 18:55

Re: Depression: A refining process used by God

Here's a synopsis of a book. Very well worth reading. After this man finally came to the end of himself, and let go the work he thought he was doing for God he was healed. By that point he was so ill he had been forced to give up most of his Christian activity, but was still holding on to it in his heart, hoping to somehow get well enough to carry on:

But when he finally came to that point, the Lord completely healed him in 30 seconds flat!

I'm not saying that this is the reason for every depression, or that the healing will be as spectacular, but this is what happened to one man.

[u]God Can Do It Without Me
by Johannes Facius[/u]

Quote:
Depression. Darkness. Despair. Finally a complete breakdown. For three years, the author fought against overwhelming accusations, condemnation and burnout. As he descended to the depths, Facius struggled with issues that would trouble any suffering Christian, let alone an internationally known preacher and leader. Then one morning God revealed Himself in all His healing, restoring power. Lessons from a broken preacher, this book offers real hope and encouragement as it illustrates that God is always in control.

In HIm

Jeannette

2008/1/21 18:58

Re:

Deltadom,

Was Job depressed or oppressed? If satan was there to buffet him, one may call that oppression.

I think what really depressed Job the most was the Friends of Job...always telling him what was wrong with him.

When Moses was depressed and threw himself on the ground, he did so, because he felt the burden God had given him was more then he could do.

God provided a solution....given to him by his father in law.

Missionaries going into countries who's people practice witchcraft have often said they feel the oppression around them something fierce.

Being oppressed by Satan is not always brought on by sin.

Regardless of the situation, we can always pray for any and all, depressed or oppressed.

I also know those coming out of Cults to Christ go through extremely difficult oppression and attacks from satan.

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/21 19:03

Re: Depression: a refining process used by God

HE_Reigns said

Quote:
I Bless GOD that against all prognosis-es of man - that even brain eating entities can be reversed or over-ridden by The Creator Himself.

Annie, this is true, and very encouraging to hear your testimony. I believe He [i]is[/i] over-ruling and - may you live long and strong for God.

2008/1/21 19:06

Re: Back on this thread again

Thanks for that Sis. As we've been discussing "His Glory" lately - I'd really like to express some of my thoughts about the Lord putting the puzzle pieces more aright in my thinking about my own past - if maybe it could help someone.
I did a book report on Freud when I was 12 and it wasn't because I was 'smart', but because it was the only subject that the teacher found I was interested in. I loved being at school - I just didn't care for the subjects. :-D
Anyhow, that one interest stayed with me through my adult years and we thought that would be my career, until about 4 years after I got saved. The interest sort of stayed and I kept reading, but the idea of that as a career left.
Then in 2002 when I got physically disabled and what I described in the other post -- without me asking or trying, my life would pass before my mind - a bit here and there, until by Nov 06 I had seen the entire video of my life. Quite strange. At first it was traumatic. It wasn't visual as in visions or dreams, just the memories presented vividly on their own. When it finally ended, after over 4 years - the LORD showed me His Glory and again it wasn't a vision, but the strong reality of how involved He is with our lives, from before conception. Not the Ruth Stapleton variety of inner healing - but something that happened apart from my will or being a participant in bringing up those memories. It was something I could never do myself and had it been anything or anyone but Him, it would have had no affect, because of having that interest in psych, I had relived the whole of it many times. And how often with self-pity.
To try to make it shorter - it blew psychology right out of the water with me and healed me of the bulk of my past in one clear revelation of His Providential Glory.
When I use Joseph as an example, it's not as any calling for myself (though actually, it may the calling of all of us) - but that is who the Lord showed me, along with the other people in His Word, and it allowed me to see that the same "preparation" for His plan for our lives; that He has had since before creation; were/are worked through every incident that we go through. He uses it ALL, to form us into what He had planned for us from the foundations. Yet, freewill still plays it's part with us and through the others that we're in contact with. But psychology robs GOD of that Providential-Process.
It would say, if you are drawn to comfort animals for instance, that it's because you wanted to be comforted yourself - but take a child from the same home who hurts animals, and they'll attribute it to the same environment that produced the nurturing child. No, it proves out our "choices" once more! The more wrong choices, the harder the conscience becomes.

Once I saw, so to speak, how nothing that happens to us is outside of His omniscient foreknowledge and all of it 'can' (if our wills allow) be used to form His ideal in us eventually and what it could potentially build into us, future tense, I rejoiced for my childhood and could even see cause for much more of my adult years through Roms. 8:28,29.
To be set free from the lie of psychology was the most blessed thing that's ever happened in my life - though He used those "videos" to show me plenty - it was like any other Bible story and not from any psych-text I'd ever read.
He allows/not causes it all - knowing before we're born, the beginning from the end (- not a sparrow falls) - and wants to work it all according to His marvelous plan For His Glory - and not as an excuse for us for our "sin" or "weaknesses" - but so that we'd take satan's plans for our pasts and present and throw them right back at him and allow God to do His will through it all - by our own choices and our chosen 'reaction' to all that comes at us. He is Absolutely Amazing!

When I saw that psychology was a "thief" attempting to steal away 'His' Providential Glory, well - GLORY TO GOD - HE SET ME FREE from the actual 'bondages' of the psychology based mind-frame !!! And growth is just an on-going process until we see Him, of seeing all things through just those two verses from Romans - with our freewill deciding what to do with or choose to do with the "all things" coming at us and welcoming them for 'His Glory only' in our minds, because we love HIM, because HE first Loved us.
Moment by moment choices of what to do with the present moment - in light of the "all things" He wants to use to transform us into His Image - since our birth with our new birth. Each month seeing less and less to be depressed about - realizing now He's in control and always has been - like with Joseph & Co.

So now, it's another new year and maybe committing the choices that our loved ones make, could become our next adventure in anti-depressant-faith. I pray I can.

2008/1/22 1:39

Re:

Deltadom,

The fellowship of His sufferings is the refining process. The fellowship of His sufferings will always bring death to self, as Christ in us is formed.

I understand what you are talking about. I think you are talking about the fellowship of His sufferings, because that is the only thing that can refine us and conform us to His image.

Something like this.

When you used the word depression, it really threw me off, but I know we suffer with Christ, but also have the Holy Spirit as our Comfortor through these times....revealing things to us.

Phip 3, That I may know Him and the Power of His resurrection, and teh fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable to His death ......

1 Peter 4
1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;

2That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/22 6:57
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re: depression

Quote:
Keith said: Depression, of which I have past experience, is selfishness. When a person becomes depressed, all of their thoughts are upon themselves and no one else. They are being ruled by their emotions and it can lead to sin. Emotions lead people astray.

Quote:
Keith said: Depression, of which I have past experience, is selfishness. When a person becomes depressed, all of their thoughts are upon themselves and no one else. They are being ruled by their emotions and it can lead to sin. Emotions lead people astray.

Quote:

Quote:
Annie said: Once I saw, so to speak, how nothing that happens to us is outside of His omniscient foreknowledge and all of it 'can' (if our wills allow) be used to form His ideal in us eventually and what it could potentially build into us, future tense, I rejoiced for my childhood and could even see cause for much more of my adult years through Roms. 8:28,29.
During this time - God has used this nightmarish disintegration of my most needed (I thought :) organ to double my compassion for those who do have organic or situational depression or any other mental anguish and physical problems.

GOD said - "die to self - no one needs a brain -
just TRUST ME - I won't let you go."

Quote:
Katy said: When you used the word depression, it really threw me off, but I know we suffer with Christ, but also have the Holy Spirit as our Comfortor through these times....revealing things to us.

Very interesting thread but at least two different views if we look at the words alone, and Katy and Deltadom perhaps in the middle… BTW Keith, have enjoyed reading your posts and thanking God for your enthusiasm for lack of a better word.
But… I do believe you are wrong in your analysis of depression, or maybe we just have a different definition for depression. “Selfishness… when a person becomes depressed, all of their thoughts are upon themselves and no one else”… I believe that is a bit of an over-generalization. And “depression is nothing more than rejecting God, selfishness, not concerned for anyone else, wanting to be happy, thinking about nothing but yourself. It is of the devil and must be dealt with as such”… that again, I believe is a BIG generalization, and one that would fit very well with Job’s accusers of which the LORD said that what they said was not right, to the point that they had to have Job, the depressed one, pray for them and offer sacrifices for them.

There is no doubt that there is self-pity that is disgusting sometimes, and hypochondria in many, like an aunt of mine whose tombstone could have read, “I told you I was sick” ;-) , and anger, and covetousness, and the “measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves” that Paul said was unwise, and so forth… but when you consider the fact that Jesus was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and the fact that: Psalms 34:19 (NKJV) 19 “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.”… and the fact that as in Job’s case, even though the devil did all that devastation to Job, it was at God’s instigation, and by God’s permission. “Hast thou considered my servant…” and the case of Joseph where it was not self-pity but the fact of his situation, he wept because he was literally in a pit...

I say this with all due respect, there is a vast difference between self-pity and the very real awareness, and yes, almost debilitating sorrow that comes from losses such as Job had. And his response to all that loss was, “the Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord”. But when he began to simply state the facts of his loss and tried to comprehend the reason for all those losses, his friends were very quick to give him a very self-righteous and a very WOF fix for his condition. When Job cried out Job 19:21 - 22 (NASB) 21 “Pity me, pity me, O you my friends, For the hand of God has struck me. 22 “Why do you persecute me as God does, And are not satisfied with my flesh?” Was that depression or just a plea for compassion?

I am not really sure what the definition is for depression that is the consensus definition in this thread… that would probably put us closer to all on the same page…I certainly am not into this “its all about me” seeker-friendly junk that is called church today, because we have been called to be soldiers enduring hardness, on the other hand there is certainly room, especially among those who are brothers and sisters in the faith for a whole lot more of "loving our neighbors as ourselves" that would help to alleviate a lot of sorrow, simply by knowing that somebody else knows. And to that end, there is warmth that can be felt from those who have “been there” that is to a great extent missing from those who have not. Paul’s:
2 Corinthians 1:3 - 5 (NKJV) 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ” comes to mind.

Clint :-)

2008/1/22 9:13Profile

Re:

2 Corinthians 1:3 - 5 (NKJV) 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. 5For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also abounds through Christ” comes to mind.

Clint,

Wonderful post. You stated it much better than I.

The sufferings of Christ only Abound in those who are IN CHRIST to begin with.

How important we discern our sufferings.

I was remembering as well something Anne said, that just didn't hit home with me in her comments.....the Cross, that puts away the sinful self was missing.

We can't die to self on our own, this is the work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer.

Joseph is a type of Christ, and would be wrong to identify with a Type, and not the anti-type itself Jesus Christ.

This comes to nothing more then psychology disguised in a religious package. I know, because I was caught with that one years ago.

God is not the author of sin...so there is a teaching that God knew us before the foundation of the world, and is using everything in our lives ...even the evil before we became saved, to work all together for good.

However, our old man is never worked together with the New to come out with something Gods never intended.

God, first of all did not author the evil in our lives before conversion, but Praise God, He sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to deliver is and free us from the results of sin, caused by the fall of Adam and Eve that came to all men.

God, through His Son Jesus Christ, was sent into the World, not to work your old man with your new man.

He came to save souls Satan has destroyed and oppressed...to put off the old man, that will always be wicked and a filthy rag, and to Put on the New Man, created in Righteousness and Holiness.

Jesus didn't come to re-make your old sin nature....he came to destroy it and the works of satan.

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/22 10:07

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy