SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Depression: A refining process used by God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Just for the record - I see truth in each member's posts - Except the "need" for the very dangerous psychotropics "anti-depressants".

HOW did [b]we[/b] manage since Job's day (and before and after) without them?

One must Really research anti-depressants and why they are being PUSHED for the smallest things now a days and their affects on the brain and after affects to understand why they are the one and only class of drugs that I really cannot endorse.

No harm meant - believe me.

I've had organic depression from Lyme disease besides situational - "But God" ....

2008/1/21 14:51
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

HE_Reigns wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
SimpleLiving wrote:

As Katy said, there is a type of clinical depression which "needs" to be treated with medication. On this I can't speak with wisdom because I am not a doctor or psychologist.

Now I am depressed.

Dear dear brother - please, if you can, read more from those links I left. They'll give more links.

Believe me, I'm right there with you. That's why I put the word "needs" in quotations. Looking back, I don't believe I stated it well enough. Being that I have no experience with "clinical" depression, I didn't think it fair to completely disregard the possibility of it.

I am of the personal belief that depression, in any form, is overcome through prayer, the Word, the application of the Word, getting our minds off of ourselves and onto Christ and other people. If drugs are necessary, there's something far worse than depression going on.

Quote:
"But God" ....

But God... indeed! Therein lies the victory!

2008/1/21 15:09Profile

Re:

Good Brother, I assumed as much from you. I do believe you.

Interviewing a chief secular Psychiatrist, when it was still in my mind to make that field my life's goal and career, I asked about "helping other people as a help to depression" - and this secular Dr. said, "By all means - that is the best way." ;-)

I knew that, because my "leader of the pact" mentality since kindergarten - while in my 3rd home, was to lead my friends to help the "under-dogs" - which brought such joy to my life - that I've survived 7 unsafe homes.

Thank you! And glad you're at SI.

Some links again for others ...

http://www.breggin.com/

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/There-are-NO-Chemical-Imbalances.htm

2008/1/21 15:28
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Helping other people is - forgive the word - addictive, isn't it?!
I love serving other people. Knowing that you are serving people that God loves causes you to love them, too! And, oh, how it pleases the Father, which is our great joy! I believe the joy we feel while serving others is actually the Father's joy!

Aside from being in His presence, I am at my happiest when I'm serving! That certainly appears to add proof to our side of the depression question.

I've been there. I've been depressed. I couldn't function. A doctor told me I was depressed and prescribed Xanax for me. THAT was my cure! The doctor thought I was in such a bad state that I needed drugs to get better. That was the kick in the pants that I needed! Drugs give people an excuse to not deal with the real issues. They're an enabler, when it comes to depression. Once people start taking them, they begin to rely on their affects and trust in them. It's not what God wants for anyone!

I wasn't even walking with God when all this happened! I knew, on my own, that I was in the middle of big pity party and the cure was to stop thinking about myself. And I was right. I never even had the prescription filled. I walked out of that office cured.

2008/1/21 16:06Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Depression: A refining process used by God

Quote:
I also find that people who have been depressed look at people who are struggling in a lot more gentler manner than someone who has not been through depression.

I know a lot of times we tend to say things like, “I know what you are going through” when…if truth be told…we have no idea. Losing a spouse is not the same as losing a parent. Losing a parent is not the same as losing a child. And losing a child is not the same as losing a sibling. While our grief may share many similarities…and we may know more than others…it is still different…personal…on many levels. I just want to say that if someone has not experienced “full tilt” clinical depression…they do not know what it is like. The same is to be said of panic attacks. No book will ever satisfactorily describe these horrid conditions.

My heart goes out to those suffering.

I would like to recommend the article "A Look at Depression Through the Lens of Scripture" by Gary Gilley found [url=http://www.thepathlesstraveled.net/documents/122.html]Here[/url]

2008/1/21 16:11Profile

Re:

Simplelife, you mentioned something earlier that hit home with me as well.

To treat depressed people with PITY is actually the worse thing anyone can do. It is not the same as compassion.

Pity destroyed...it's condescending, and insulting and the worse medicine you can give someone. It keeps a person in their sickness, and will suck you in as well.

Misery loves company.....!

Psychobabble also is extremely dangerous.

Sigmund Fraud is not Calvary either, or is he the Power we find in Jesus Christ.

There are many, I'm sorry to say , well meaning Christians who can actually hinder then help, who present a crossless Christ.

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/21 16:50
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
There are many, I'm sorry to say , well meaning Christians who can actually hinder then help, who present a crossless Christ.

Amen.

2008/1/21 16:53Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Katy,

I'm very grateful that you saw my post for what I meant it to be. Depression [i]is[/i] a horrible thing to go through. It's more than just "being sad." and it's not easy by any reasoning. I hoped I didn't come across as harsh and unfeeling because it wasn't my intention. I do have compassion for those who are struggling with it. It's easy for me to get angry [b]at[/b] depression because I went through it. It can be crippling if gone untreated correctly. Treating it with drugs adds to the crippling, like putting a band-aid on a gaping wound. It's not really helping, it's just giving the appearance that it is.

Well meaning people whose only wish is that their depressed friend or love one feel better really aren't helping when they treat a worldly problem (depression) with another worldly problem (pity). Self-pity is only made stronger when its fed the pity of others. We must starve it, and not feed it, in order to kill it.

This is one of the reasons its important to be involved in a good, Bible-believing church whose members are walking with God and not playing at being Christians. Part of our purpose is to help each other with counsel and accountability. To lift each other up before the Lord and bathe them with prayer in His presence. But, first and foremost, I firmly believe that God ought to be sought first. He is our source, not people. If we are seeking the help of people, before we seek God, then those people become idols in our lives.

2008/1/21 17:21Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

One thing I want to define is the difference between opression and depression. Opression is spiritual say that you have done something wrong like Saul I was say he was opressed rather than depressed because he had lost the spirit of the Lord. Job I say was depressed. This is a hard question. In our country we deal with everything with a pill or clinical. I do believe in clinical depression and pills can heal.

2 Corinthians 4:8-10
8 We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed-- 10 always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.

Elijah
1Ki 19:4 - Show Context
But he himself went a day's journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a broom tree. And he prayed that he might die, and said, "It is enough! Now, Lord, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!"

Job is an example in itselfs and the Psalms.

Job,Moses, Elijah, David and Others in the bible experienced depression.
I would say opression is
demonic.

Quote:
Depression is nothing more than rejecting God, selfishness, not concerned for anyone else, wanting to be happy, thinking about nothing but yourself. It is of the devil and must be dealt with as such.

I would disagree as Job and Elijah obeyed god yet still got depressed.

2008/1/21 17:21Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Depression: A refining process used by God

I know depression from experience. For me it is God's agent to drive me to mortification of myself. A dead man has nothing to bemoan. I can recall many occassions where I went out into the dark of the night to seek God and came back with my burden lifted and overflowing with praise and thankgiving or swimming in a river of divine peace.

Philip

2008/1/21 17:23Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy