SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Depression: A refining process used by God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Depression: A refining process used by God

In this world depression is viewed generally as a bad thing even in the church.
The famous missionary such as Adnorium judson who had to dig the grave for his second wife got depressed the first american missionary.

In a work driven, money, greed driven society people who do not fit into the system are seen as lesser than everyone else.

I have a friend who liturally can not work, and because he cannot work he is seen even by church members as sometimes not being vaild.

William Cowper who wrote the Hymn oh what a closer walk with god was another man who was in a state of depression all the time.
Great friend of John Newton

I think I remember reading a quote that the missionaries worst nightmare is depression and I cannot find where the quote comes from.

I wish I could tell all the great things god has told me when I have been depressed. I also find that people who have been depressed look at people who are struggling in a lot more gentler manner than someone who has not been through depression.

Sometimes we are so busy that we do not get time to analyse things

Re 2:2 - Show Context
I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars;

Re 2:5 - Show Context
Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place--unless you repent.

Re 2:9 - Show Context
I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan.

Re 2:13 - Show Context
I know your works, and where you dwell, where Satan's throne is. And you hold fast to My name, and did not deny My faith even in the days in which Antipas was My faithful martyr, who was killed among you, where Satan dwells.

Re 2:19 - Show Context
I know your works, love, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first.

Re 2:23 - Show Context
I will kill her children with death, and all the churches shall know that I am He who searches the minds and hearts. And I will give to each one of you according to your works.

Re 2:26 - Show Context
And he who overcomes, and keeps My works until the end, to him I will give power over the nations--

Re 3:1 - Show Context
"And to the angel of the church in Sardis write,'These things says He who has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars: "I know your works, that you have a name that you are alive, but you are dead.

Re 3:2 - Show Context
Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die, for I have not found your works perfect before God.

Re 3:8 - Show Context
I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name.

Re 3:15 - Show Context
I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.

Re 9:20 - Show Context
But the rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands, that they should not worship demons, and idols of gold, silver, brass, stone, and wood, which can neither see nor hear nor walk.

Re 14:13 - Show Context
Then I heard a voice from heaven saying to me, "Write: 'Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' " "Yes," says the Spirit, "that they may rest from their labors, and their works follow them."

Re 15:3 - Show Context
They sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying: "Great and marvelous are Your works, Lord God Almighty! Just and true are Your ways, O King of the saints!

Re 18:6 - Show Context
Render to her just as she rendered to you, and repay her double according to her works; in the cup which she has mixed, mix double for her.

Re 20:12 - Show Context
And I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things which were written in the books.

Re 20:13 - Show Context
The sea gave up the dead who were in it, and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. And they were judged, each one according to his works.

People can be seen doing alot of things but whether they are inspired by the Lord is another thing.
It sometimes take depression to wake people up or even me up to the fact, god does not want me to be doing this.

Living by Works is sometimes hidden by the fact that People do not live by Faith such as in todays society. We should save the planet, reduce the carbon footprint , get rid of poverty, but not including or even asking Jesus must be in my eyes the worst.

A world which wants to solve its own problems without needing a saviour is probably the most proud you can get. I think God has a right to judge these movements.

Depression is sometimes a wakeup call and a realization that we need a saviour.

2008/1/21 10:48Profile

Re: Depression: A refining process used by God

deltadom,

Interesting question you brought here.

I think I was born predisposed to depression, or maybe it was caused by environment.

I will say, depression is oppression, and is of Satan, not God.

But, I will say, no human effort or works of the flesh can ever really overcome depression.

I know depression can also be caused by an imbalance in the brain, and I am not talking about this.

I came to realize that my old sin nature will always be depressed, and have that depressed nature. But in Christ, as a New Creation, with a renewed mind....and with so many scriptures that we are to rejoice in the Lord, no longer I but Christ in me....we weren't given the spirit of fear, but of Love , Peace and a sound mind.

I love this verse, because the opposite is hate, turmoil, and an unsound mind...causing all sorts of depressed thoughts and behavior.

How can one be depressed when walking in Love and filled with God's Love?

How can one be depressed when one has PEACE of Mind( the Peace of God) and Peace with God?

How can one be depressed when one is at REST in the Lord?

And here we find the true heart of Faith, the faith of partaking of HIS divine Nature...

The Just shall live by Faith...the Faith of Christ in you.

When I first was saved, I knew the Lord as my helper......

As we grow, we come to know the Lord more fully as our very Life.......and what a day of rejoicing that is!!!!!

Do I ever get depressed now? Yes, but it's when I'm not trusting the Lord for something, and bring upon myself worry, anger etc.

Much of depression is prolonged anger...not getting what we want when we want it.... our flesh.

Trust in the Lord, and He will bring it to pass. Maybe not the way you thought or hoped, but we all die to our own desires and dreams as we realize His desires and dreams for US...beyond our wildest dreams!!!

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/21 11:08

Re: Depression: A refining process used by God

Quote:
I wish I could tell all the great things god has told me when I have been depressed. I also find that people who have been depressed look at people who are struggling in a lot more gentler manner than someone who has not been through depression.

Amen Brother!

2008/1/21 12:39

Re:

Quote:
I also find that people who have been depressed look at people who are struggling in a lot more gentler manner than someone who has not been through depression.

Isn't this true for many situations in life.

Maybe you have had difficult children or a difficult marriage. You thought being a Christian made life perfect, and then life hits you between the eyes. Now you are more compassionate towards divorce, or that friend who's child that just is so rebellious. You know, you've been there.

God uses many situations in life to soften our hearts and make us more compassionate.

2 Corinthians 1 talks about suffering so we can minister to those who also suffer.

Katy

2008/1/21 13:29

Re: Jeremiah was depressed, just for one.

Good Post Dom, and always needed to be brought up from time to time for His people.
Depression is just plain human and can be used for HIS Glory.

For you consideration ...

http://www.breggin.com/

http://www.antipsychiatry.org/

http://www.antidepressantsfacts.com/There-are-NO-Chemical-Imbalances.htm

One may want to look up "Choice Theory" also.

Jer 20:11 But the LORD is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten.
Jer 20:12 But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I opened my cause.
Jer 20:13 Sing unto the LORD, praise ye the LORD: for he hath delivered the soul of the poor from the hand of evildoers.
[i]Jer 20:14 Cursed be the day wherein I was born: let not the day wherein my mother bore me be blessed.
Jer 20:15 Cursed be the man who brought tidings to my father, saying, A man child is born unto thee; making him very glad.
Jer 20:16 And let that man be as the cities which the LORD overthrew, and repented not: and let him hear the cry in the morning, and the shouting at noontide;
Jer 20:17 Because he slew me not from the womb; or that my mother might have been my grave, and her womb to be always great with me.
Jer 20:18 Wherefore came I forth out of the womb to see labor and sorrow, that my days should be consumed with shame? [/i]

Then there's Elijah, Johah, Moses, David ....

& you & me :cry:

2008/1/21 13:47

Re:

Quote:
Depression is just plain human and can be used for HIS Glory.

The Glory that is brought to the Lord is to bring every thought into the obedience of Jesus Christ for the pulling down of strong holds.

This, as one who has been severely afflicted with depression and suicidal all my life, along with my sister in law who did commit suicide due to depression (and a christian..a Baby one) I do not recommend praising God for such things, but Praise Him for His deliverance in setting us free through Jesus Christ.

Yes, Jesus spoke to me while depressed and said, depression is from our old sin nature.

Our Human flesh nature is at emnity with God!!!!Always will be!

How does our old sin nature bring Glory to God, except that Glory be given that God through Jesus Christ can heal our minds and sets us free from the law of sin and death.

The JOY of the Lord is my strength!!!

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/21 14:15

Re:

Katy, empathy is strong. I too have been wanting to exit this planet since very early childhood, but depression only came as I lay in bed at night - otherwise, I was the class clown and leader of the pact through-out my life --- but the LORD showed me that - like Joseph's life - all things are to make us who He wanted us to be in the future.

If we destroy that providence of His and start the psychological replacement of how to look at our pasts and present - we'll stay depressed.
If we can see that GOD knew us before the foundations and had plans to use our environments and all from birth - to His Glory - to make us who we presently can be and could be and will be - if we see His Hand in all - we'll be FREE !
Like Joseph and the rest that we read of in the O.T.. Moses, etc., etc..

Yes, I do Praise Him "in the storm" because of Romans 8:28 being FOR vs. 29.

Sometimes, there 'is' some truth in, "depression is anger kept inward" ... but anger must be dealt with Biblically - and that's our challenge.

Did you read those verses from Jeremiah ??

GOD Bless you Sis. amen

Edit: meant to add about Jeremiah and the others from the O.T. that got "depressed" - that it is not necessarily from our old sin natures - but just human. Like those Missionaries mentioned above. And sometimes it's the Holy Spirit Grieving for others. etc.

2008/1/21 14:25
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

As this website is full of preachers who tell it like it is, with no holding back, forgive me if I do the same.

As Katy said, there [i]is[/i] a type of clinical depression which "needs" to be treated with medication. On this I can't speak with wisdom because I am not a doctor or psychologist. Even then, that doctor or psychologist would have to be a Bible-believing, walking with God Christian before I would take any of their advice on the matter! After all, you do not give pills to someone who is oppressed instead of depressed.

Depression, of which I have past experience, is selfishness. When a person becomes depressed, all of their thoughts are upon themselves and no one else. They are being ruled by their emotions and it can lead to sin. Emotions lead people astray.

The depressed person does not need to be molly-coddled or pitied. There are times to show compassion, yes, but not to the one who uses their depression to gain sympathy from others.

Americans are depressed and I can tell you why! It's as Brother Leonard Ravenhill says, "They're entertaining themselves to death!" There is a longing in the heart of every man, woman and child that only God can fulfill. Yet, America has tried to fulfill that longing with anything and everything else. Entertainment, devices, inventions, lusts, desires, money, other people... People become depressed when they realize that the great longing inside them isn't being fulfilled by these things, yet they still reject God.

Depression is nothing more than rejecting God, selfishness, not concerned for anyone else, wanting to be happy, thinking about nothing but yourself. It is of the devil and must be dealt with as such. Christians can get depressed, yes, but when it happens, the Christian should immediately recognize it as an attack and deal with it as one and not go along with it for awhile first.

Look at it as Satan in your ear, saying: "Poor you. When are things going to go right for you? Everyone else seems to be happy so why can't I be? Does God want me miserable, depressed, hurting and struggling [i]all[/i] the time? Why can't something good happen for me just once?"

We cannot stroke our emotions by playing along even for a minute! That will give the devil his foothold! We must combat it immediately with scripture. Be prepared! If you're prone to attacks of depression, fore-arm yourself with the scriptures you need to fight back! You will be held accountable for it! When you stand before the Great Throne on Judgement Day, the "rough childhood" or "depression" argument won't work with God like it does in our human courts. Don't doubt it!

Three verses in the Psalms state the very same thing:
Psalm 42:5 and vs 11 and Psalm 43:5 all say :

Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him
For the help of His countenance.

In the psalmist despair, he chastises himself for being down but he's also wise enough to know how to get out of it. He knows that no matter how he feels, or what the circumstances around him may be, that he has his hope in God. Praising God will lift him out of it. He's being honest and saying that he's depressed and he tells God about it, but only to get it off his chest.

The cure for depression is prayer, Bible study and applying the Word. Especially when you don't feel like it. In cases where it's anger-related, get pastoral counseling and apply forgiveness! Have friends or church members there to support and pray for you. If they're worth their salt, they will. But be careful to not have to rely on them time and time again! Go to God and together you can fight and win this battle once and for all. Don't become self-absorbed but put your focus on Christ and others.

2008/1/21 14:27Profile

Re:

Quote:
SimpleLiving wrote:

As Katy said, there is a type of clinical depression which "needs" to be treated with medication. On this I can't speak with wisdom because I am not a doctor or psychologist.

Now I am depressed.

Dear dear brother - please, if you can, read more from those links I left. They'll give more links.

2008/1/21 14:33

Re:

Simpleliving,
Thank you so very much for your post.

As far as clinical depression is concerned:

It is a fact (SOME)women suffer from a severe postpartum depression after child birth.

It is a fact people who have been on pain killers from prolonged pain also suffer depression caused by these medications.

A man, after taking a new form of antibiotic had a severe reaction leaving him wanting to commit suicide. He recognized this was not norman, and immediately took himself to the hospital.

There are these exceptions to the rule, and it is a cruel hoax to say all depression is in one's head.

But, other then medical reasons such as these, Simplelivings article is absolutely correct.

However, We must be extremely sensative to those suffering this horrible most debilitating existance.

Added: My sister in law, asked her pastor a question. He didn't realize until after why she even asked it. He never preached again feeling he may have said something, or not the correct something.

GOD can heal your mind, and it brings HIM Glory to do so.

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/21 14:43

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy