JOHN BOYS

this is truth in few words

2008/1/20 17:01Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

A Goldmine of Puritanism

"Screw the truth into men's minds."

RICHARD BAXTER

Must be the contractor still in me that latched on to this ...

Picked up as well what our brother mentioned about these being seemingly easy to read but the life that went into them ... Am reading them ever so slowly.

What a work this is in it's own right brother, pulling these altogether.

"Oh, study your hearts, watch your hearts, keep your hearts! Away with empty names and vain shows; away with unprofitable discourse and bold censures of others. Turn in upon yourselves, get into your closets, and now resolve to dwell there. You have been strangers to this work too long; you have kept other vineyards too long; you have trifled about the borders of religion too long. Will you now resolve to look better to your hearts? Will you hate and come out of the crowds of business and clamors of the world and retire yourselves more than you have done? Oh, that this day you would resolve upon it!"

JOHN FLAVEL

John Favel ... one of the first to seriously arrest my attention.

What a goldmine this is brother, thank you so much for it.

2008/1/20 19:16Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
"Works? Works? A man get to heaven by works? I would as soon think of climbing to the moon on a rope of sand!"

I like it! George Whitefield.

2008/1/20 19:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: A Goldmine of Puritan Quotes

Quote:
Brethren, I think there is a good reason why so many of us can read and listen and view so much prime quality and yet remain but spiritually impoverished amateurs and imbittered art critics. It is not about breaking through the rope, or taking a hammer to the glass, for such amounts to theft and vandalism. The secret, rather, is [i]enrolling ourselves in the same school[/i] and under the same Master the men we so admire studied under and learnt their art. If we could only learn from the same, I believe we could also bring forth such marvelous gems meet for the Master's use. Others would then be putting the fruit of our labor on display rather than vice-versa.

There comes a point where God stops feeding us by the ravens and beckons us to [i]leave our tents[/i] and collect our own manna from the field of His Word. No more Spurgeon-ravens, no more RAVENhills, no more Wilkeravens. Such are fine as appetizers, but not as main courses any more. I believe there comes a time when God puts an end to all our excitement in attending masperpiece exhibtions as mere spectators, and instead begins occupying our time in His private chamber of study, in discipline and with sobriety and dilligence - the technique and fundamentals all students must learn if they, too, are to rise to the same lofty levels of the men they so revere. We need to understand that as God used them to influence us, He wishes now to use us to influence others in the same way.

[i]And he said to me, "Son of man, feed your belly with this scroll that I give you and fill your stomach with it." Then I ate it, and it was in my mouth as sweet as honey.[/i] Eze 3:3 (ESV)

[i]Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy words were unto me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by thy name, O Jehovah, God of hosts.[/i] Jer 15:16

[i]He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him ... It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
[/i] Joh 6:56 - Joh 6:63

"Seek not to grow in knowledge chiefly for the sake of applause, and to enable you to dispute with others; but seek it for the benefit of your souls, and in order to practice....Practice according to what knowledge you have. This will be the way to know more...[According to Ps. 119:100] 'I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.'"

JONATHAN EDWARDS

Just some musing. P.S. Thank you brother, found a perfect, recent, attibutable quote for a signature. What a collection here ...

2008/1/21 10:35Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Dear Mike,

That Gurnall quote you have for a signature is one that has blessed me for years. It's found in his masterpiece, "The Christian in Complete Armor" - the single most impacting book I have read outside the Word of God.

"God Withdrawing" is a concept we all can learn from. In fact, I think there is a great lack in wisdom pertaining to this very thing. What do we do when God withdraws? What do we do when all we've been taught and led to believe about the convenient and ever-accomodating "nature" of God crumbles before our eyes? Very often God will tangibly withdraw from our senses, and when this happens we are especially prone to link His withdrawing presence to something [i]we[/i] have done, or a fault on our behalf.

But this is not entirely so. Is it the child's fault that he grows? The more we grow and receive light and strength from the Word, the more we must trust in a God who no longer spoonfeeds our senses and emotions. The more we grow, the more the potential we will have at being misunderstood by those who refuse to grow, and the more we grow, the more of a sense of sobriety becomes our character, an inward sobriety that ultimately manifests on the outward. All of these are signs of growth, manifesting in an urging by God to search the Word for food - for real meat to grow strong by - and not singularly depend on the fawning milk bottle with each lazy cry.

The Christian must trust in a withdrawing God. We are not orphans - we are growing children learning the ways of the wild and the nature of the fight under the ubiquitous supervision of our unseen but ever close-at-hand Father. Watch the nature channels and see how lion cubs are raised, eaglets, bear cubs, etc. I believe God has hidden certain measures of Christian wisdom in some of the examples of the mother-cub relationships.

Brother Paul

2008/1/21 11:44Profile
consecrateme

Texas

Re:

Brother Paul,
BLessings. The book you mentioned is it available in three volumes or also in one?

thanks,
c

2008/1/21 12:39Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The book you mentioned is it available in three volumes or also in one?

Sister,

The book comes either or. "Banner of Truth" has it in three separate volumes, modernized and abridged. The preface is by David Wilkerson. I have volume one of this collection, and I loved it so much that I sought out the full and unabridged original version with all three volumes included. "Banner of Truth" still publishes it, I believe, in the 1864 edition. This one has the preface by J.C. Ryle and it's a whopper 1,200 + page treasury. My wife found it on Ebay for like 30 bucks and gave it to me one year as a birthday gift.

Either edition is wonderful, but if you're intimidated at the thought of plodding through 17th century puritanic verbosity, I suggest you start with the abridged and modernized version. However, this treatise in it's original form is not verbose at all; it's wonderfully readable - more than most other Puritan works. It stands alone in the vast cosmos of Puritan literature, I think, like an evening star.

Bro. Paul

2008/1/21 12:53Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
"The Christian in Complete Armor" - the single most impacting book I have read outside the Word of God.

Amen. I purchased this book after your recommendation early last year. A truly magnificent work. There is milk…and then there is..."The Christian in Complete Armor"

2008/1/21 16:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: A Goldmine of Puritanism

"Christians in consort are an abridgement of heaven, shining like a firmament of bright stars. . . Surely, of all fellowships, this is the only good fellowship. Next to communion with God, there is no communion like the communion of saints."

GEORGE SWINNOCK

"A minister may fill his pews, his communion roll, the mouths of the public, but what that minister is on his knees in secret before God Almighty, that he is and no more."

"If we would talk less and pray more about them, things would be be better than they are in the world; at least, we should be better enabled to bear them."

JOHN OWEN

"Do you not find yourselves forgetful of Jesus? Some creature steals away your heart, and you are unmindful of him upon whom your affection ought to be set. Some earthly business engrosses your attention when you should have your eye steadily fixed upon the cross. It is the incessant round of world, world, world; the constant din of earth, earth, earth, that takes away the soul from Christ. Oh! my friends, is it not too sadly true that we can recollect anything but Christ, and forget nothing so easy as him whom we ought to remember? While memory will preserve a poisoned weed, it suffereth the Rose of Sharon to wither."

C.H. Spurgeon

2008/2/5 0:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy