SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "The Emergent Church": Mark Driscoll tells all!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

So you're saying Driscoll renounced what he formerly taught?

If there is proof of that then I was mistaken about him. However, the Emergent Church itself has not changed, but has only become more "postmodern", and on that I stand on what I said about the Emergent Church. If Driscoll has renounced what the Emergent Church teaches and has separated from it then I say Praise the Lord.

Zeal can be stupid? Thats interesting considering that it was prophecied that Jesus would have zeal for God's house. (Psalm 69:9 & John 2:17) Paul also commanded Timothy (and the readers...that would be us) to contend earnestly for the faith (zeal). (Jude 3)

By the way, is it common practice on this "christian" forum to insinuate that other contributors are "stupid"? I know I am new here, but it was my hope that this forum would be slightly different than some of the other worldly "christian" forums on the internet. On most days Sermon Index seems to be different, but some days it seems there is an undercurrent of self righteousness and rudeness... neither one of which fall under the category of "fruits of the Spirit". Well, they fall under the "fruits of A spirit", but not the Holy Spirit.

2010/11/28 9:03

Re:

If a man is habitually teaching something PUBLICLY, then he should not be surprised if he is corrected PUBLICLY.

If a man wants to put all of his teachings on Youtube, then he should not be surprised if someone posts a rebuttal on Youtube.

Here is a public letter to be read in all the churches, by Paul.

1Ti 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

Another one:

2Ti 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:

1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Now, I don't know anything about this Mark Driscoll. But generally speaking, those that have discernment about doctrine being preached (elders, mature saints) usually warned the church in the NT.

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith.

HomeSkoolDad,

I take what people say on SI as coming from them and not representative of SI.

2010/11/28 9:09
sjeldon

Re:

Quote:
hi, another open flogging of a man who by all accounts has repented of his errors. i saw a man at a fire one night and as i was chilled i came closer to the fire and i heard him deny knowing Jesus and even cursed Him, imade up my mind that night never to be around this weak liar again and just a few days later it is said that he preached Jesus on the day of pentacost and thousands were saved... that has to be a lie because i heard him and saw him renounce Him...zeal can be stupid...jimp

Amen:)

2010/11/28 9:24Profile

Re: "The Emergent Church": Mark Driscoll tells all!

Hi HSD,

I think you're misinterpreting jimp's point. You got the first bit, about the person by the fire having renounced that he never knew Christ, but not the comment about zeal.

jimp did not say that zeal per se is stupid, but that sometimes in our zeal we are less ready than we should be, to accept that a person has repented, and moved on.

2010/11/28 9:28
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

character

Quote:
HomeSkoolDad wrote:
“You need to be very careful when you start talking about the character of someone... It falls under "bearing false witness"... gossip.”

Hmmmmm

2010/11/28 9:31Profile
knitefall

Re: character

Amens all around! Can I suggest we visit the website and see for ourselves what the man is currently preaching? He does have good things to say. I will make this very clear, most of the emergent church is not actually a part of the True Church where Jesus is the Head.

They operate out of false spirits which any new Believer can discern.

So rather than argue, visit and decide for yourselves. Otherwise, we'll end up consuming one another and that makes me sad.

2010/11/28 9:37Profile

Re: We are free!!!! [if we deny ourselves and die, and follow Jesus.

"Now, I don't know anything about this Mark Driscoll. But generally speaking, those that have discernment about doctrine being preached (elders, mature saints) usually warned the church in the NT.

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith.

HomeSkoolDad,

"I take what people say on SI as coming from them and not representative of SI."
....Right on! Pilgrim777

Of course deceivers have something good to say, and an element of the truth. Consider Satan's words in the temptation of Jesus, as he ever so subtly twisted scripture.

I have listened to, and perused Driscoll's teaching. My take on him is that this is the fruit of Extreme grace,[primarily, once saved, always saved, and God loves everybody no matter what...] which changed his ideas from scripture, and holy prudence, to a somewhat profane permissiveness.

Without a blush, he speaks of very, very private sexual issues,[ peppered with occasional cussing..] while hammering the limits of holiness through this idea of living full bore,extreme, and radically for yourself. Kind of a twist on Olsteen's "be all you can be" to "experience all that your soul you can do" doctrine, meshed with a no condemnation approach because we are all saved anyhow.[where is the fire of Hell part?]

Because the Word in its purity is denied, so is conviction of sin...[ what conviction of who?],along with any continuing repentance from dead works...[ which we all need continually..].which in turn creates a permissive culture, rather than a biblical and holy church.

The result is comfort, comfort for those who desire to live free...but the freedom is veiled. It is freedom from the cross of Christ Jesus, and abiding in his Holy Spirit; the only means that a man or a woman has to attain Heaven.

Mark 8. Jesus speaks.
34. [Jesus] “Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me.

35. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel’s will save it."

This man has subtly adapted a gospel opposite of the spirit of these words. I fear many will lose their lives by believing it.

2010/11/28 10:19

Re:

Quote:
One book in particular that MacArthur wrote on the subject is "The Truth War".

Amen
The last days are the times of apostasy from truth - 'truth wars' indeed. Christians have not and will not be killed for being a nice bunch of people, but because of standing for truth.

Quote:
If a man is habitually teaching something PUBLICLY, then he should not be surprised if he is corrected PUBLICLY.

This is very true Pilgrim. Paul rebuked Peter "before all", as well.

Brothertom, your post was very accurate.

Some of us may remember also the New Year's bash that Mark put on at his church.

Protecting 'lambs' was and still is the calling of the so-called 'mature sheep'.
I see very little of that anymore. Just apostacy from truth.
First we were snarled at for saying the word "doctrine" and now it's become the same way for that precious word that Jesus and His Apostles spoke of the most - 'Truth'.

I for one do not yell. I speak with tears, even when my posts are long and contain questions, but if we defend the need for truth at all in these days, we'll be labeled and judged as the enemy of "love", peace, unity or 'good fellowship'. There will always be one to come with sometimes just a one-liner to undo any call for our need for truth. They have the 'gift' of undoing any call for sound doctrine or truth. After a while, you almost get to know which threads they'll be drawn to, to tear down. Call them 'truth stoppers' but The Word of GOD has other names for them.

A man's 'behavior and words' expose whether he is "walking in the truth" or not.
So it goes for Mark Discoll, and so it goes for 'truth stoppers'. (They stop they're ears, as the Word says and want to plug-up the lambs ears as well.) Grievious!

There is absolutely no doubt that we are in the days when "truth is thrown in the streets".

Speaking of Spurgeon: If you have or can find "Morning and Evening" on the web - Read 'this' Mornings- 11/28. Bless GOD! That brings back the smile. Thanks.

2010/11/28 11:17
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: "The Emergent Church": Mark Driscoll tells all!

This is by far not the first thread about Mark Driscoll. I believe God allows preachers like him to appear on the scene to test us. If you love his self-promoting, respectless, show-biz, vulgar style cloaked in reformed orthodoxy to appease your conscience, then he is your man to follow.
You decide for yourself.

1. John 2: 6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

The man approved by God is nothing in himself, but Christ radiates out of him. God save us from preachers without brokenness and tears.

Check 2. Cor 11
His true servants bear the marks of the suffering of Christ in one form or another.

2010/11/28 11:47Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the Truth is Jesus and Him crucified...He is the Way the only way...the Truth...the only truth.whin we walk in Him,you walk in truth...i have never heard this man utter a word and dont care to...i try to walk in the light for He is Light...walk in Love for He is Love...walk in the Spirit so i dont serve the lust of the flesh...i try not to walk in criticism for He is not the accuser of the brethren..jimp

2010/11/28 12:33Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy