SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is this True?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Is this True?

I got the following email and wonder whether it is true. I googled it briefly but did not learn anything other then that others are wondering as well. Is there an expert out there that knows?

Here goes:

"An unusual approach to a biblical story

Why did Jesus fold the linen burial cloth after His resurrection?
I never noticed this....

The Gospel of John (20:7) tells us that the napkin, which was
placed over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave
clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was
neatly folded, and was placed at the head of that stony coffin.

Early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came
to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the
entrance. She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one
whom Jesus loved.

She said, 'They have taken the Lord's body out of the tomb, and I
don't know where they have put him!' Peter and the other disciple ran to
the tomb to see. The other disciple out ran Peter and got there first.
He stooped and looked in and saw the linen cloth lying there, but he
didn't go in. Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside. He also noticed
the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that had covered Jesus'
head was folded up and lying to the side

Is that important? Absolutely! Is it really significant? Yes! In
order to understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to
understand a little bit about Hebrew tradition of that day. The folded
napkin had todo with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew
this tradition.

When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure
that it was exactly the way the master wanted it. The table was
furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight,
until the master had finished eating, and the servant would not dare
touch that table, until the master was finished. Now if the master was
done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth,
and clean his beard, and would wad up that napkin and toss it onto the
table. The servant would then know to clear the table. For in those
days, the wadded napkin meant, 'I'm done'. But if the master got up from
the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the
servant would not dare touch the table, because...........

The folded napkin meant, 'I'm coming back!'""

Thanks!
ginnyrose

2008/1/14 13:57Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Is this True?

Wow. Pretty neat. I never really gave it much thought, along with a lot of other things I guess. :-)

Thank you for pointing this out. this is something to gnaw on for a while.

2008/1/14 14:17Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Reply to ginnyrose
My reaction when I read your post was that I’m still trying to untangle myself from the filthy rags. Christ Jesus was with out sin but I was a filthy lowdown rotten stinking dead sinner.

2008/1/14 18:13Profile

Hi Ginny

I never thought much about it either until reading an explanation that seems to me to tick all the boxes.

When they wrapped someone for burial they apparently used to wrap the main part of the body in cloths, then the head in a separate cloth. The idea was that when Jesus rose from the dead He simply left the cloths behind just as they were, without unfolding or distrbing them in any way (after all, He could pass through locked doors, so a bit of linen wouldn't have been a barrier!).

So the headpiece wasn't folded up as if Jesus was tidying the place before leaving, but [b]exactly as it was when it was wrapped around the head[/b] - only the head had gone from inside it! Same with the rest of the grave clothes. They just lay there having never been unwrapped.

Similarly the same author** suggested that the angel rolled the stone away, not to let Jesus out, but [b]to show that He was already gone![/b]

Wow!!!

Makes sense to me anyway.

Jeannette

P.S. I have an idea that Jesus could go through stones, cloths, locked doors etc after the Resurrection because He was more solid than these things, not the other way around!

What do you think?

[**Dorothy Sayers, the English crime writer, who also wrote a series of radio plays, "Man Born to be King" on the life of Christ.]

2008/1/14 18:58

Re:

Quote:

rowdy2 wrote:
Reply to ginnyrose
My reaction when I read your post was that I’m still trying to untangle myself from the filthy rags. Christ Jesus was with out sin but I was a filthy lowdown rotten stinking dead sinner.

That's another angle on it. Thanks for the reminder!

Interesting that Lazarus needed someone to untie him - Jesus didn't, He was already free!

Isn't it wonderful that He can therefore free US!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Wish there was a smiley for "YIPPEE, HALLELUJAH!"

Don't despair Bro Rowdy. Nobody could have been more tangled up than I've been, but Dr Jesus is on our case!

in Him

Jeannette

2008/1/14 19:02
kendall

Re:

I am not sure as to where the content of the email came from, but Clyde Box (sp?) preaches a sermon on the folded napkin. To me it is a neat idea, but I would rather trust in the second coming because of Christ's words and not a folded napkin :-) .

2008/1/14 20:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Interesting that Lazarus needed someone to untie him - Jesus didn't, He was already free!

Interesting observation...I never thought of this before. Wonder what the significance of this is?

I consider the email I shared beautiful BUT I hate to share something like this with others only to be told later it is the product of someone's imagination. To pass on fictitious pieces as being authentic discredits Christianity, will just provide critics more fuel with which they can and do mock us Christians as being gullible, ignorant. And it is not being truthful.

I am still waiting to hear from someone who will say with a definite "Yes" or "no".

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/1/14 20:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

What do I think?

I know one thing it must have been awesome to have experienced what they did. To have witnessed Jesus' preaching for three years, see him crucified and then resurrected. I think it would really humble a body to have been witnesses of these events.(Why would God choose me, of all people, to be a partaker of these events?) No wonder they were willing to endure persecution. Perhaps this is the clue to what will enable [i]anyone[/i] to suffer for the name of Jesus!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/1/14 21:13Profile
kendall

Re:

Again, I do not know the source of the email, but I heard Bro. Box (sp) rant and rave about the folded napkin for about 45 minutes. After hearing all that he had to say, my thoughts are as follows:

1. You should never base your theology only on Jewish tradition. (Which was the basis of 45 minutes of ranting and raving on a folded napkin.)
2. The Jewish tradition was for the dinner table, not grave clothes.
3. The New Testament contains many explicit statements that Jesus will be coming back. "I will come again." "This same Jesus will return in like manner." Et al.
4. The disciples appeared to have missed the "obvious" meaning of the napkin, for they were completely taken by surprise to see Jesus.
5. If this was such an obvious indication that Christ is coming back, why is it nowhere picked up by any other Scripture passage, the apostles, the early church, or any of church history? (To my knowledge.)

So, ginnyrose, I would say that it is a neat idea, but a very far-fetched idea. It makes for nice emails, but a very poor basis for theology. Just my "two cents."

2008/1/14 21:26Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re: folded napkin

The folded napkin was a sign that the body was not stolen as the Jews tried to say. Who would steal a body then take the time to fold a cloth? Who would have left any cloths behind, unwrapping a body then stealing it?
With John being the last gospel written, the readers by that time would be aware of the stolen body story.

2008/1/15 5:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy