SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Help me to understand please!!!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
vasilef

ROMANIA

Help me to understand please!!!

In Driven to Darkness, a David Wilkerson's sermon, I've read the next line:

Quote:
That is what I saw last night at the music festival - a group of musicians who were pied pipers, leading many young people right into the arms of Satan with their smooth words about Jesus, about celebrating forgiveness - then with an energy of flesh and carnal greediness hard to fathom - they put their stamp of approval on a paganism right out of the devil's treasury.

I don't understand what "pied pipers" mean.
Is the piper a kind of instrument, like the one the Scotish people use it or what? :-o

2008/1/12 9:54Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Help me to understand please!!!

The Pied Piper of Hamelin is a legend about the abduction of many children from the town of Hamelin (Hameln), Germany. Famous versions of the legend are given by the Brothers Grimm and, in English, by Robert Browning.

In 1284, while the town of Hamelin was suffering from a rat infestation, a man dressed in colourful garments appeared, claiming to be a rat-catcher. He promised the townsmen a solution for their problem with the rats. The townsmen in turn promised to pay him for the removal of the rats. The man accepted, and thus played a musical pipe to lure the rats with a song into the Weser river, where all of them drowned. Despite his success, the people reneged on their promise and refused to pay the rat-catcher. The man left the town angrily, but returned some time later, on June 26, seeking revenge.

While the inhabitants were in church, he played his pipe again, this time attracting the children of Hamelin. One hundred and thirty boys and girls followed him out of the town, where they were lured into a cave and never seen again (In some versions, he lures the children into the river and lets them drown like the rats).

2008/1/12 9:58Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re: Help me to understand please!!!

thank you very much, I understand now the meaning. :-D

2008/1/12 12:55Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy