SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : God-centered Evangelism and Man-centered Evangelsim [Version 2.0]

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

God-centered Evangelism and Man-centered Evangelsim [Version 2.0]

God-centered Evangelism and Man-centered Evangelsim [Version 2.0]

The Difference in the Doctrinal view of Repentance and Regeneration
God-centered evangelism tells men to repent for the glory of God. It tells men to repent because God is worthy of their affection and love. It tells men that unless they repent they will perish. However, God-centered evangelism teaches men that repentance is not only their duty... it is a conquering Grace of God that is given freely and graciously by God upon His elect when the gospel is preached. He does not force it on them. He graciously and mercifully removes the stony heart and gives them a new heart so that they will "do" what they otherwise would not and could not "do" with a stony heart. God-centered evangelism directs the sinners hope to God's ability rather than their ability (which is hopeless apart from Conquering Grace)

"And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh: That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God." (Eze 11:19-20)

Man-centered evangelism has this scripture all backwards. Man-centered evangelism says, "They must walk in My statutes, and keep Mine ordinances, and do them: That I may give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh: and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

(Note to the reader: The verse is not the same. The means of salvation is placed on man's work rather than God's conquering Grace and regeneration.)

Man-centered evangelism says, "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through us that loved Him."

God centered evangelism says, "Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." (Rom 8:37)

Please allow me to put you in soon remembrance that God-centered evangelism teaches men that repentance is not only their duty... it is a conquering Grace of God that is given freely and graciously by God upon His elect when the gospel is preached.

"...if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;" (2Timothy 2:25) "...for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins." (Acts 5:31) "...Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life." (Acts 11:18) "Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities." (Act 3:26) "For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;" (Php 1:29)

Man-centered evangelism won't preach on these scriptures. Because man-centered evangelism fears it will take away from the duty of man. However man-centered evangelism's real problem is rooted in the motivation to repent.

Man-centered evangelism repents so that he may escape hell. (selfishness and self-preservation) God-centered evangelism repents to glorify and worship God. (godliness and self-denial) There is nothing selfish about not wanting to go to hell. But, it is selfishness if that is where your motivation to repent comes from. They should repent because Jesus is worthy of all their love and affection. They should repent because they abhor all their sin and their entire old nature.

The Difference in view of Sin
Holy hatred for sin, comes when we see what it did to to the precious Lamb of God. We didn't just tell a lie, a fib, stole a couple things, disobeyed our parents, did some drugs, looked with lust... WE CRUCIFIED THE PRECIOUS LAMB OF GOD WITH ALL OUR HEART, SOUL, STRENGTH, AND MIND. God's centered evangelism puts a major emphasis on this (in light of all their sin) in gospel preaching of the sinfulness of Man.

1. God-centered evangelism teaches sinners that they are seeking to kill Jesus. "...ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you." (John 8:37)

2. God-centered evangelism teaches sinners that in their hearts and in their minds they are crying out "Let Him be crucified!." "Pilate saith unto them, What shall I do then with Jesus which is called Christ? They all say unto him, Let him be crucified. And the governor said, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified." (Mat 27:22-23)

3. God-centered evangelism teaches sinners that they desperately desire Jesus to be crucified. "But they cried, saying, Crucify him, crucify him." (Luk 23:21) "Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him." (Mar 15:14)

4. God-centered evangelism teaches sinners that they have taken Jesus, and by wicked hands they have crucified and slain Him. "Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:" (Act 2:23)

5. God-centered evangelism tells the sinner simply, "You crucified Him." "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ." (Act 2:36)

6. God-centered evangelism teaches the sinner that they are persecuting Jesus. "And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?" (Act 9:4)

7. God-centered evangelism teaches sinners that all men (by nature) hate Jesus, despise Him, attempt to mock Him, speak against Him, and take pleasure in crucifying Him. "But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the LORD that he would deliver him: let him deliver him, seeing he delighted in him." (Psa 22:6-8)

8. God-centered evangelism bids the poor sinner to come to Jesus and look upon Him whom they have pierced. God-centered evangelism bids the sinner to mourn. "And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn." (Zec 12:10) "They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn." (Jer 31:9) "Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory." (1Co 2:8)

The Difference in view of the Cross of Christ
God-centered evangelism teaches that the death and bloodshed of our Lord Jesus actually accomplished and purchased eternal redemption for God's people. God-centered evangelism will preach scriptures like Isaiah 53. God-centered evangelism teaches that the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

(Isaiah 53:8-11) "He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. {9} And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth. {10} Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. {11} He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities."

Man-centered evangelism speaks little of this. Man-centered evangelism teaches that Jesus died on the cross for you. However, Man-centered evangelism mentions nothing about what actually happened at the cross.

Here are some events that happened at the cross that Man-centered evangelism never mentions.

1. "...for the transgression of my people was he stricken."
2. "...Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief."
3. "...thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin."
4. "...he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand."
5. "...He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied."
6. "...by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities."

God-centered evangelism teaches that God will save His people:
1. From Himself (His everlasting Wrath)
"Now consider this, ye that forget God, lest I tear you in pieces, and there be none to deliver." (Psa 50:22)

2. For Himself (His everlasting Mercy)
"In a little wrath I hid my face from thee for a moment; but with everlasting kindness will I have mercy on thee, saith the LORD thy Redeemer." (Isa 54:8)

3. By Himself (His everlasting redemption obtained by His own blood.) "Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us." (Heb 9:12) "Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah." (Isa 1:9)

The Difference in Motivation
Man-centered evangelism tells men to repent so that they can escape hell. It tells men that "you must repent in order for God to save you from Hell." The error of man centered evangelism is not only in doctrine, but in motivation. Man centered evangelism is primarily motivated by a horror that men are going to hell. This horror is not wrong. However, it should not be the primary horror.

God-centered evangelism is motivated by a horror that men are crucifying Jesus with their hearts and not giving God the love and adoration that He is worthy of. God-centered evangelism is motivated to preach because the gospel of Jesus Christ is worthy to be magnified and exalted among all nations. God-centered evangelism is motivated by a consuming desire to please God by declaring all of God's wonderful works among the heathen.

The Difference in Tears
Have you ever seen someone weep over a dead body? You might find that most people have done this. Have you seen someone weep over a dead and sinful heart? I read about it all throughout the bible and in historic revivals. It is a manifestation of the holy grief and sorrow of God graciously breathing in a human soul when someone weeps over a dead and sinful heart.

Herein lies the difference in the tears of Man-centered evangelism and God-centered evangelism. The souls in hell are weeping because they're burning in hell eternally. But, there are no souls in hell weeping because they burn with lust and remain in their sins against a beautiful-holy God. (Otherwise they would worship Him while they are in hell and God's wrath would cease.)

Man-centered evangelism weeps over souls because they will be punished forever if they die in their sins. Man-centered evangelism would never preach scriptures like Psalm 58:9-11. Man-centered evangelism does not view hell as a necessary and commendable place for the wicked. "Before your pots can feel the thorns, he shall take them away as with a whirlwind, both living, and in his wrath. The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked. So that a man shall say, Verily there is a reward for the righteous: verily he is a God that judgeth in the earth." (Psa 58:9-11)

God-centered evangelism weeps for souls because they will be in bondage to an evil heart forever. They will forever be cursing and hating God. (If they die in their sins.) Let us weep now. Now is the time to weep. "But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret places for your pride; and mine eye shall weep sore, and run down with tears, because the LORD's flock is carried away captive." (Jer 13:17) "Horror hath taken hold upon me because of the wicked that forsake thy law." (Psa 119:53)"Rivers of waters run down mine eyes, because they keep not thy law." (Psa 119:136) "I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; because they kept not thy word." (Psa 119:158)

My journal accounts of the power of the God-centered gospel

(Aug 07)
I was witnessing at the beach on Friday night to this girl. And, she was a false convert, but I got to share with her for around an hour. I've never preached before like I did to her. I preached the love of God (That God out of His mercy chose a people, a people whom He bore their sin on the cross, a people who hated Him... Yet, He chose to love them, a people who are unprofitable and worthy of eternal Hell... Yet He redeemed them with His precious blood.

I asked her, "If you are thirsty for Him, Come to Him. If your heart is heavy with shame over your sin, run to Him." I told her how Jesus made intercession for the transgressors when He was on the cross. While He was bleeding and suffering the wrath of God for the transgression of His people, He was praying for them. He prayed for a people who had cried out in their hearts, "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!"

...And she began to be deeply ashamed of herself. she thanked me and gave me a hug. I encouraged her to search the scriptures and draw near to God in humility and sorrow over sin. When she left, she was crying. Praise the Lord for His power and love!
Amen. -Abraham

(Jan 07)
The preaching at the mall today was something else. I've never made 2 people cry in one day. One girl broke out in tears of a godly sorrow and was crushed by the love of God. Later on, another girl broke out in tears of a worldy sorrow and was crushed by a guilty conscience. She ran away and didn't want to hear God's word.

Earlier this morning I was meditating on 2 Corinthians 7. I was meditating on what godly sorrow is and what worldy sorrow is.

I thought of Peter's sorrow compared to Judas' sorrow in Matthew 26.

Then, later on in the day, I witnessed the godly sorrow. This brought Joy to my heart. When the first girl was crying, I told her, "You're bringing Joy to the heart of God."

Towards the end of the day I witnessed the worldly sorrow. This was the sorrow of death. When the second girl was crying, I told her "It is good to realize that there is no hope in your flesh or man..." And, before I could finish, she interupted with a horrific sob, "I have always feared death [and now this]." She then stormed off with bitterness, hoping to escape a guilty conscience without surrendering to God.

Please pray for these 2 precious souls.

-Abraham

God bless you! -Abraham

2008/1/9 16:28

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy