SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Sabbath

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
HopeDollar

South Africa

Sabbath

Hi! Everyone

I am new on this chatroom and I wanted to engage ourselves into this topic...I have read some of the OLD aguements some of the members had on this subject...

Until proven otherwise...I don't believe that I should keep the Sabbath.

1. I believe that Christ is our Sabbath.

2. (Col 2:16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

2008/1/9 8:56Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Sabbath

Welcome to SI! I hope you are blessed by what you find here.

What kind of proof are you looking for? It seems that people on both sides of this issue have Scripture to back up their stance...

2008/1/9 9:08Profile
HopeDollar

South Africa

Thank you for responding.Hug!

I need scriptural proof that is not taken out of context.And proof that Jesus did not disregard the Sabbath...Of which when we look at the scriptures of the N.T.,they lean towards the the fact that "the Sabbath should not be kept".

Sorry for taking long to respond.Hug!

2008/1/23 9:28Profile

Re:

Hi there

This has been discussed at length here - there was a thread recently... Do you know how to do a search? There's a small box at the bottom of the main forum page. Put in "Sabbath" and title only to narrow down the possible threads.

Not having taken much part in any discussion on this subject, I would like to make a few comments re my personal "take" on this:

1. The Sabbath, though also one of the Ten Commandments, is actually a [i]Creation[/i] ordinance (Genesis 1)

2. It has been shown, by experimantal changing of the length of the working week that one day of rest in seven is the ideal for our bodies and minds. In work situations, any less rest than that makes for less efficiency, not more.

3. "Sabbath" means "cessation". Not cessation of all activity, but cessation of the work of Creation in God's case, [i]because it was all finished[/i]. However, other scripture shows that the Lord didn't merely leave the Creation to itself afterwards, but still maintains it.[*** See below]

4. That's why Jesus said, when criticised for "working" on the Sabbath, "The Father works even until now - and I work". His hearers understood perfectly that He was claiming to be God! (By the way, Jesus didn't deny that this was [i]exactly[/i] what He was claiming!)

5. The Sabbath was the first full day of life for Man, wherein he presumably rested [i]with[/i] God.

6. When Jesus died He said "It is finished!" And because it was finished He also "rested" from His completed work of redemption.

7. But "on the first day of the week" He rose. The significance is that this was trhe beginning of a NEW Creation. He is the "Firstborn from the dead" as Paul puts it. Later He breathed the Holy Spirit into His disciples; as in the old creation when, God breathed physical and soulish life into Adam.

8. Therefore, the first thing we need to do when born again of the Holy Spirit, is to learn to "rest" with Him.

9. This is spoken of in Hebrews 4, "entering into his rest" - ceasing from doing our own thing and partaking of His victory over sin and Satan.

[u]Conclusion:[/u]

It is [i]good[/i] for body and soul to have one day rest in seven. Which was one reason God gave that ordinance. It is not in itself a moral command, more a kind of "use only according to the Maker's instructions" kind of command.

But this is much less important than the spiritual keeping of the Sabbath.

As Hebrews says: "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he who is entered into his rest hath also ceased from his own works..." (quoted from memory, I have to go to work but gives the meaning if not the exact words)

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/23 10:32
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:
I need scriptural proof that is not taken out of context.And proof that Jesus did not disregard the Sabbath...Of which when we look at the scriptures of the N.T.,they lean towards the the fact that "the Sabbath should not be kept".

Well, in other discussions of this topic, both sides have had what they considered 'in context scriptural proof' of their point of view. I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

2008/1/23 12:37Profile
BlazedbyGod

Quote:

HopeDollar wrote:

Until proven otherwise...I don't believe that I should keep the Sabbath.

1. I believe that Christ is our Sabbath.

2. (Col 2:16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

1. You believe Christ is our Sabbath-what scripture in the Bible verbally says that, or gives that as an expressed thought?

2. Col 2:16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

This is Paul talking about the sabbath days(plural) that were associated with the Mosaic Law and ordinances-There was a Sabbath Day given prior to the 10 Commandments and prior to the Mosaic Law-that Sabbath, which is Saturday-Paul is not talking about.

I know this from the pattern of his speech in Col 2:16-he is talking about eating and drinking, and holy days(feast days), then he mentions "Sabbath Days"-read anywhere in the Old Testament where there was a feast day, and you will see either a sabbath the preceeded the feast day or came after it, but this Sabbath wasn't the 7th Day Sabbath-these were special sabbaths attached to various feasts and fetivals.

Example: Lev 23;24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. (this was not the creation Sabbath-but a special sabbath)

Let's not forget either, that the Children of Israel did keep the Sabbath, EVEN BEFORE THE 10 Commandments was given-(referring to the Sabbath instituted at creation.

Ex 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning

The 10 Commandments were not given until the 20th Chapter of Exodus-this is why the 4th Commandment starts out by saying " REMEMBER the Sabbath day to keep it Holy" (you can only remember something your are already familiar with or experienced)

2008/1/23 13:45Profile
psalm1

Hopedollar, yes i believe you are 1/2 right. the reason for the 1/2 is that Jesus came not to destroy the law but to fulfill it.
So yes Jesus is the fulfillment of the sabbath and it is no longer a day but a person.[to the redeemed]
He is also the fulfillment of "firstfruits"
He is salvation.
He is resurrection

We tend to look at spiritual things backwards.
Sometimes there is a clue in turning things around.

Consider the Hebrews strict guidelines of the sabbath [in order to have complete rest] almost defeating the whole purpose.
This is a picture pointing forward to Jesus [our total and complete rest]
So yes Jesus is our sabbath rest.
But remember we still have the law.... but for the redeemed the LAW GIVER lives in us who is greater than the law

Make sense?

David

2008/1/23 15:12Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

colossians 2:16 "Therefore let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths,

2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ".

dear blazedbyGod, please notice how paul talks about the feasts (annual days) new moons (monthly days) and sabbaths (weekly days). this is the thought that this verse follows. because of what Christ has done, we should not be judged by what we observe or do not observe, by what we eat or drink or what we do not eat or drink. they were merely a shadow, a sign to point to Christ. He is truly the end of the law.

like paul says in romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not food or drink, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit". that verse cuts through to the heart of it all. Christ is our life, our love, our salvation, our everything.

He is our All in All.

brother, we are gonna disagree over this and that's alright, but let our heart be knit together pursuing Him more than we ever have. nice talking to you brother.

phil

2008/1/23 15:36Profile

Re:

Quote:

MSeaman wrote:

in other discussions of this topic, both sides have had what they considered 'in context scriptural proof' of their point of view. I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

Looking back over my post here I must be more or less on "both" sides.

As I said, resting, ceasing from our usual work, having a break, whatever, for one day in 7 is good for us. But not as a legalistic rule that we [i]must[/i] keep.

Remember that Jesus said "the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath."

in Him

Jeannette

PS I haven't given chapter and verse because of lack of time. I can almost never remember the exact reference (a small degree of "number blindness" maybe) but can look them up if you would like. Pm me...

2008/1/23 17:05

Re:

Quote:

BlazedbyGod wrote:

2. Col 2:16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

This is Paul talking about the sabbath days(plural) that were associated with the Mosaic Law and ordinances-There was a Sabbath Day given prior to the 10 Commandments and prior to the Mosaic Law-that Sabbath, which is Saturday-Paul is not talking about.

I know this from the pattern of his speech in Col 2:16-he is talking about eating and drinking, and holy days(feast days), then he mentions "Sabbath Days"-read anywhere in the Old Testament where there was a feast day, and you will see either a sabbath the preceeded the feast day or came after it, but this Sabbath wasn't the 7th Day Sabbath-these were special sabbaths attached to various feasts and fetivals.

Example: Lev 23;24 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. (this was not the creation Sabbath-but a special sabbath)

Let's not forget either, that the Children of Israel did keep the Sabbath, EVEN BEFORE THE 10 Commandments was given-(referring to the Sabbath instituted at creation.

Ex 16:23 And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning

The 10 Commandments were not given until the 20th Chapter of Exodus-this is why the 4th Commandment starts out by saying " REMEMBER the Sabbath day to keep it Holy" (you can only remember something your are already familiar with or experienced)

Thanks for the reminders, especially that the OT "Sabbath" wasn't only the seventh day, but at other festivals. Holidays were literally [b][i]holy[/i][/b]days then!

in Him

Jeannette

2008/1/23 17:10

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy