SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic?

[b]Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic?[/b]

VENTURA, CA– Pentecostal or charismatic Christianity is viewed by some Americans as an emotional, theologically suspect form of the Christian faith. It is widely thought to be a very vocal and visible, but numerically small slice of the grand religious pie in the United States. Two new surveys from The Barna Group, however, indicate that things are changing dramatically in the religious landscape. Those surveys – one among a national sample of adults and the other among a national sample of Protestant pastors - show that the number of churches and adherents to Pentecostal perspectives and practices has grown significantly in the past two decades.

A decade ago, three out of ten adults claimed to be charismatic or Pentecostal Christians. Today, 36% of Americans accept that designation. That corresponds to approximately 80 million adults. (For the Barna survey, this included people who said they were ...

read more: http://www.churchexecutive.com/Page.cfm/PageID/10470

2008/1/7 16:47Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic?

Hi Greg...

This is interesting. I've noticed that several of the nearby Baptist churches have changed their names to sound more "non-denominational." They have also restructured the "style" of their meetings to reflect many of the charismatic traditions. This is particularly true in regard to the music, dress, less-emphasized organizational standards, and standards for personal conduct. One nearby Southern Baptist church conducts meetings that looks and sounds a whole lot like a night club (without the alcohol). Yet it is one of the fastest growing churches in the region.

I consider myself "Pentecostal" in the classical sense of the word. However, I tend to stray from much of the modern charismatic theology and practices as demonstrated in most charismatic churches. I do find it odd, however, that many of the mainstream denominations are doing whatever they can to be identified with the charismatic movement. Are they facing such a dilemna that they would do anything to get people into the doors?

:-(

2008/1/7 22:48Profile

Re: Is American Christianity Turning Charismatic?

Quote:
A decade ago, three out of ten adults claimed to be charismatic or Pentecostal Christians. Today, 36% of Americans accept that designation. That corresponds to approximately 80 million adults. (For the Barna survey, this included people who said they were ...

3 out of 10 adults a decade ago... 36% of Americans now... uhmmm... 36% really isnt much more than 3 out of 10. That would be 30%. A "jump" from 30% to 36% in 10 years isnt that big.

Personally I think most people think Charismatic means you have an exciting worship service with lively music. Heck, I love that too... But doctrinally I am [b]not[/b] Charismatic (anymore).

I dont think most American "believers" know the difference between anything anymore. Most dont know there is a difference between Pentacostal and Charismatic. Most American "believers" couldnt tell you the difference between a Catholic and a Baptist.

Krispy

2008/1/8 8:29

Re:

Krispy quote
Most American "believers" couldnt tell you the difference between a Catholic and a Baptist.

moe_mac
Many times there is not any difference. They are both lost and don't get on the defensive Krispy, I was not referring to you.

2008/1/8 9:16

Re:

Was there something you said that you thought would put me on the defensive? Gee... I hope I'm not perceived as ready to pounce... :-x

Krispy

2008/1/8 10:01

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy