SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : whole bible vs. Jesus :question

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rocklife

usa

whole bible vs. Jesus :question

Some Christians say the whole Bible is all equal, and of course any word from God is worthy to be praised and exalted above all else. And we can learn from the Old Testament, definitely. Some people are suggesting to me that we are to follow the whole bible. My question is, doesn't the entire Bible point to Jesus as our teacher and leader? The Old and New? God's word keeps directing us to Jesus and to follow Him, right? I am studying the Bible, and have read and reread the New Testament well over 10 times at least, the Old Testament not as much yet (am a 3 year old Christian). Some "Christians" (don't know them personally, just on the internet) are acting like I'm off-base because I put so much emphasis on Jesus. Can anyone help me out?

Lord, please guide me into truth about this, in Jesus' name I pray, amen.

2004/6/4 13:39Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re: whole bible vs. Jesus :question

Hi Rock,
Here's what the Holy Spirit, through the Apostle Paul, said about that subject in II Timothy 3:16-17:

"16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

Clutch

2004/6/4 14:14Profile
Rahman

Rocklife you posted:

((( Some people are suggesting to me that we are to follow the whole bible. My question is, doesn't the entire Bible point to Jesus as our teacher and leader? The Old and New? God's word keeps directing us to Jesus and to follow Him, right? )))

Right! ...

The entire OT points to Christ first coming ...

The Gospels tell us of His life here on earth, and how to FOLLOW HIM ...

The rest of the NT points to His second coming ...

And the Revelation tells us of our eternal reward for following Him, and the pain, suffering and everlasting damnation of those that don't ...

The Holy Spirit always points us to Christ ...

John.16 [7] Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. [8] And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: [9] Of sin, because they believe not on me; [10] Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; [11] Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. [12] I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. [14] He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Christ always points us to the Father ...

John.10 [17] Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. [18] No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father. [24] Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly. [25] Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me. [26] But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. [27] My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. [29] My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. [30] I and my Father are one.

So if anyone is ever wondering the sure fire way of pleasing our triune God and His Bible in it's entirety ... FOLLOW CHRIST EXPLICITLY!!! ...

For He is the way, the truth and the life, and
the Father has given ALL POWER into His loving nail pierced hands ... Amen

John.14 [6] Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Matt.28 [18] And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

PS - And as a 3 year old saint please allow the Holy Spirit to continue to feed you on the milk of the Word, until He decides to give you more solid food ... Yes "All scriptures are inspired of God" as Clutch stated, so please just ask the Holy Spirit to take you thru His soup to nuts course of the Word, and He'll serve each course to you in His own perfect timing.

God bless you, and keep pressing on towards the mark

2004/6/4 14:49Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Hello Rocklife

When I read your message a few scriptures came to mind, although I think Rahman coverd the main points. We are under an new covenant through which we are justfied by faith (Hebrews11). But here some others which I hope you find relevant:

Romans 14:1-12 1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded F56 in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth F57 the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's. 9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. 10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Galatians 3:1-5 1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? 2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? 4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain. 5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Galatians 4:1-7 1 Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all; 2 But is under tutors and governors until the time appointed of the father. 3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements F6 of the world: 4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law, 5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. 6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father. 7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

Colossians 2:16-23 16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, F10 or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ. 18 Let no man beguile F11 you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, 19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. 20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments F12 of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances, 21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not; 22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

James

2004/6/4 15:18Profile
Iesous4life

Ohio

You are totally on the right path. Jesus is the answer to the old and the new covenants. The whole Bible does point to Him. You are not putting too much emphasis on Jesus. Put all of your emphasis on Jesus. If you stay focused on Him, your prayers will be answered. Every question that you can think of will come to light. Jesus is King of kings and Lord of lords. He is the Truth, the Way, and the Life!

The Old Testament and all of the things that happened to the Israelites were written for our examples though. Something that I had recently heard was as you are reading the Old Testament, put Jesus in the place of some people. Such as Joshua, or David, or Moses and look and see all of the types of Christ. Remember what the mystery of godliness is: God was manifested in the flesh(1 Tim. 3:16). I love that scripture.

Father, I pray that you reveal the truth and open the eyes of all Christians, myself included, to help us grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Thank you Lord. :-)

2004/6/4 23:53Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Thank you guys for all the Scripture helps, these are very encouraging. Thanks again. I pray God's Holy Spirit will continue to guide us all. This community is great, I praise God for this forum.

2004/6/5 2:14Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy