Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What's your Key Verse for 2008

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

What's your Key Verse for 2008

Maybe its just my church, but we've always been encouraged to pick a key verse to define our Spiritual ambition or expectations for the next year. Last year my verse picked me, as I was browsing through the bible I was looking for a verse about boldness and ended up stopping on Ephesians 4:1-3. I read the part about being completely humble and gentle and bearing with one another in love and I said to myself, 'this isn't the verse for me.' And as I flipped over to the next page I was struck by the Spirit and realized that God had led me to that verse because He wanted me to live it out in 2007.

Now I can't say that I lived it out, but I'm definitely grateful for that verse being at the forefront of my mind for the entire year, and it's challenged me a lot in how I interact with others and how I consider myself.

This year God directed me to a couple of verses while I was considering all of the places that I failed during the previous year. Every year our church has a New Years Eve service, when we can consider the year that has passed and the year that is to come. I couldn't help but consider all of the places that I'd failed in the previous year, which brought me to tears. I'd been a horrible steward. Then God directed my heart to this verse, at first I could only remember, 'forgetting what is behind.' So I flipped open to the concordance and read the verse in it's context and it was exactly appropriate for what I had been praying and repenting about.

[b]Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. –Philippians 3:12-14[/b]

The past is in the past and it is all under the blood of Jesus, now reaching forth towards what is before, I press on towards the will of God in my life.

I've got a lot to pray about and work towards as I am currently applying to grad schools and considering my future, this verse seems to have come to me at the perfect time. I also couldn't get Matthew 6:33 out of my head either, with regards to finding a spouse. I'm blessed to have both verses in my heart right now.

Has anyone else been led to pick a key verse for the year, or has the Spirit picked one for you?

2008/1/4 10:52Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: What's your Key Verse for 2008

mine is in my signature...

I want to prepare my heart to seek God's Word and to obey it...but probably not to teach in Israel :)

2008/1/4 11:50Profile

iansmith,

Brother this is a thread i hope continues with many replies. Very nice. I however have one main portion of scripture i stick with a lot year after year that i will share.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. - Matthew 6:33 (KJV)

I personally have always believed that this scripture pretty much sums up a lot in the Word of God. But not to lessen all other scripture either. All scripture is precious to me and i do have many other favorite scriptures as well. Thank you for this very pleasant thread.

2008/1/4 14:19
jimp

Re:

hi, micah 6:8 jimp he has shown thee o man what is good and what the Lord requires of thee;to do justly, love mercy,and walk humbly with thy God.

2008/1/4 14:22Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Jimp, that's a great verse, this year that was the key verse for Seattle Missions Fest -so its kind of burned in my memory. Oh and there's a great older song with that verse as the lyrics.

2008/1/4 15:59Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

1Ti 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness

2008/1/4 17:03Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Any resolutions to go along with your verses?

2008/1/4 17:19Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I only have two

1 spend some more time in prayer, and in the word

2 overcome anger

2008/1/4 17:27Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
2 overcome anger

this #2 reminded me of an article by watchman nee. i hope it helps.

"Let me illustrate with another story. I once arrived in America in the home of a saved couple who requested me to pray for them. I inquired the cause of their trouble. 'Oh, Mr. Nee, we have been in a bad way lately', they confessed. 'We are so easily irritated by the children, and during the past few weeks we have both lost our tempers several times a day. We are really dishonoring the Lord. Will you ask Him to give us patience?' 'That is the one thing I cannot do', I said. 'What do you mean?' they asked. 'I mean that one thing is certain', I answered, 'and that is that God is not going to answer your prayer.' At that they said in amazement, 'Do you mean to tell us we have gone so far that God is not willing to hear us when we ask Him to make us patient?' 'No, I do not mean quite that, but I would like to ask you if you have ever prayed in this respect. You have. But did God answer? No! Do you know why? Because you have no need of patience.' Then the eyes of the wife blazed up. She said, 'What do you mean? We do not need patience, and yet we get irritated the whole day long! What do you mean?' 'It is not patience you have need of', I answered, 'it is Christ.'

God will not give me humility or patience or holiness or love as separate gifts of His grace. He is not a retailer dispensing grace to us in doses, measuring out some patience to the impatient, some love to the unloving, some meekness to the proud, in quantities that we take and work on as a kind of capital. He has given only one gift to meet all our need-His Son Christ Jesus, and as I look to Him to live out His life in me, He will be humble and patient and loving and everything else I need - in my stead. Remember the word in the first Epistle of John: "God gave unto us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath the life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not the life" (1 John 5:11,12). The life of God is not given us as a separate item; the life of God is given us in the Son. It is "eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom. 6:23). Our relationship to the Son is our relationship to the life.

It is a blessed thing to discover the difference between Christian graces and Christ: to know the difference between meekness and Christ, between patience and Christ, between love and Christ. Remember again what is said in 1 Corinthians 1:30: "Christ Jesus... was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption." The common conception of sanctification is that every item of the life should be holy; but that is not holiness, it is the fruit of holiness. Holiness is Christ. It is the Lord Jesus being made over to us to be that. So you can put in anything there: love, humility, power, self-control. Today there is a call for patience: He is our patience! Tomorrow the call may be for purity: He is our purity! He is the answer to every need. That is why Paul speaks of "the fruit of the Spirit" as one (Gal. 5:22) and not of 'fruits' as separate items. God has given us His Holy Spirit, and when love is needed the fruit of the Spirit is love; when joy is needed the fruit of the Spirit is joy. It is always true. It does not matter what your personal deficiency, or whether it is a hundred and one different things, God has one sufficient answer-His Son Jesus Christ, and He is the answer to every human need." - WATCHMAN NEE.

sorry ian, i don't have any verse that sticks out yet for this year.. but i will post when i do.

phil

2008/1/4 17:45Profile
Tears_of_joy

James 4:14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. [b]For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.[/b]

2008/1/4 17:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy