SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : How Jesus Makes Us Whole by Andrew Murray

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

How Jesus Makes Us Whole by Andrew Murray

[u][b]How Jesus Makes Us Whole[/b][/u]

By Andrew Murray

Jesus said to him, "Wilt thou be made whole? The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man…to put me into the pool…. Jesus saith unto him, Rise…and walk. And immediately the man was made whole…and walked" (John 5:6-9).

The story of the healing of the impotent man (part one in the December 2007 issue) invites us to notice three things very especially. Christ’s question first appeals to the will, and asks for the expression of its consent. He then listens to man’s confession of his utter helplessness. Then comes the ready obedience to Christ’s command, that rises up and walks.

"Wilt Thou Be Made Whole?"

There could be no doubt about the answer of the impotent man to Christ’s question. Who would not be willing to have his sickness removed? But, alas, in the spiritual life what need to press the question. Some will not admit that they are so sick. And some will not believe that Christ can make a man whole. And some will believe it for others, but they are sure it is not for them.

At the root of all lies the fear of the self-denial and the sacrifice which will be needed. They are not willing to forsake entirely the walk after the course of this world, to give up all self-will and self-confidence and self-pleasing. The walk in Christ and like Christ is too straight and hard. They do not will it, they do not will to be made whole. My brother, if you are willing, speak it out: "Lord! At any price, I will!" From Christ’s side the act is one of the will: "I will; be thou clean." From your side equally: "Be it unto thee as thou wilt." If you would be delivered from your impotence – oh, fear not to say, "I will, I will!"

Take Christ as Your Only Helper

Then comes the second step. Christ wants you to look up to Him as your only helper. As the impotent man said, "I have no man to put me in…." Here on earth there is no help for you. Your soul is sick; your impotence to walk joyfully the Christian walk in God’s way is a sign of disease; fear not to confess it, and to admit that there is no hope for restoration unless by an act of Christ’s mercy healing you. Give up the idea of growing out of your sickly state into a healthy one, of growing out from under the law into a life under grace.

Delay and struggle will equally hinder you. Do confess that you cannot bring yourself to pray as you would, because you cannot give yourself the healthy, heavenly life that loves to pray, and that knows to count upon God’s Spirit to pray in us. Come to Christ to heal you. He can in one moment make you whole. It will not be in the sense of working a sudden change in your feelings, or in what you are in yourself, but in the heavenly reality of His coming in, in response to your surrender and faith, and taking charge of your inner life and filling it with Himself and the Holy Spirit.

The Surrender of Faith

The third thing Christ asks is this, the surrender of faith. When He spoke to the impotent man, His word of command had to be obeyed. The man believed that there was truth and power in Christ’s word; in that faith he rose and walked. By faith he obeyed. And what Christ said to others was for him too – "…thy faith hath made thee whole" (Matt. 9:22). Of us, too, Christ asks this faith, that His word changes our impotence into strength, and fits us for that walk in newness of life for which we have been quickened in Him. If we do not believe this, if we will not take courage and say with Paul, "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me," we cannot obey (Phil. 4:13).

But if we will listen to the word that tells us of the walk that is not only possible, but has been proved and seen in God’s saints from of old, if we will fix our eye on the mighty, living, loving Christ, who speaks in power: "Rise and walk!" we shall take courage and obey. We shall rise and begin to walk in Him and His strength. In faith, apart from and above all feeling, we shall accept and trust an unseen Christ as our strength and go on in the strength of the Lord God. We shall know Christ as the strength of our life. We shall know, and tell and prove that Jesus Christ has made us whole.

Do not expect at once to be proficient in prayer or in any part of the Christian life. No; but expect and be confident of this one thing – that as you have trusted yourself to Christ to be your health and strength, He will lead you and teach you.

Begin to pray in a quiet sense of your ignorance and weakness, but in a joyful assurance that He will work in you what you need. Rise and walk each day in a holy confidence that He is with you and in you. Accept Jesus Christ the Living One, and trust Him to do His work.

2008/1/4 0:05
Tears_of_joy

Re: How Jesus Makes Us Whole

"Rise and walk!"

"Begin to pray in a quiet sense of your ignorance and weakness..."

2008/1/4 0:42Profile
frazier72

Re: How Jesus Makes Us Whole by Andrew Murray

Whenever I need a refreshing of the Holy Spirit, Tozer and Murray are about as good as it get's. I just finished Murray's Humility for the 3rd or 4th time, and like most classic writings that are works of the Spirit, each time I read it, the Spirit works in me something I completely missed before.

I have struggled humbley laying aside all for Christ. I have prayed about it countless times of completely giving myself up for the Lord, but there is always a part in me that the Spirit convicts to show me just how far from the likelness of Christ I am. But I know one thing, knowing Christ and the Presence of God have for the sake of all have consumed me, praise the Lord!!! I have been praying for Christ to continue to humble me by showing me my utter nothingness apart from his Grace, and praising the Lord for this.

One thing I that I have learned is that you won't find it in modern Church, but only in that deep personal time spent with the Lord, letting him be all, to do and to will for his good pleasure. With men it is impossible, but with Christ all things are possible Amen.

2008/1/4 10:30Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy