SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Race

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

The Race

Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV, apologies to some) -

'[b]1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.[/b]
2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.'

What is the race that the author describes here? What is the prize?

Is the race to get to heaven? Or is instead the race and the aim to be like Christ?

Is the race about heaven, or is it more about us being made perfect when we arrive in heaven?

2008/1/3 6:44
psalm1

Re: The Race

There is a clue in the preceding verse. "............that they without us should NOT be made perfect."
They [in 12;1] are cheering us on.[in our race.
Paul said 'ive finished my course'
The manifest sons of God.
ROM 8;19
for the earnest expectation of the creature,waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God.
It is likened unto Elisha following hard after Elijah.
There is something stopping all of us.
It is tragic.
Our shadows are not healing anyone and we dont raise the dead either.
Did you notice the creature waiteth?
So we have this cloud of witnesses cheering us on and we have the earth itself crying out" will you please, please, become like your name "christian"
There is a song "the biggest cause of atheism today is christians who honor Jesus with their lips but dishonor him with their lifestyles".

David

2008/1/3 8:27Profile
psalm1

I just noticed i didnt answer any of your questions?
I think I need another cup of coffee.

David

2008/1/3 8:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
So we have this cloud of witnesses cheering us on and we have the earth itself crying out" will you please, please, become like your name "christian"

Is the earth crying out for that? I guess it depends what you mean by 'the earth itself'.

I'm guessing people are just ignoring this thread? Or maybe it's just me?

Replies would be appreciated!

2008/1/3 15:44
psalm1

Re:

Seems I remember that the blood of Abel cried out from the earth?
I dont know for sure.
Isn't there something about the trees clapping their hands?
It would be something, though ,if the rocks cry out louder than us?

David

2008/1/3 16:04Profile

Quote:

richardf wrote:
Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV, apologies to some) -

'1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.'

What is the race that the author describes here?

It's just the most important race of our lives!! The only one that matters, really.

Quote:
What is the prize?

There a crown of life laid up for those who endure until the end - win the race!!!

Quote:

Is the race to get to heaven? Or is instead the race and the aim to be like Christ?

Is the race about heaven, or is it more about us being made perfect when we arrive in heaven?

To be like HIM and to be made perfect when we arrive.

I used to believe (and live like) I just wanted to get inside the gates!!! LOL But now, things have changed... not because of anything I have done but because of everything HE has done for me.

I help one of my good friends do a devotion email two times a week and the one I did today was on, well it was on a couple of things, but one of them was winning this race and it being the most important race of our lives. Sounds like HE led me in the right direction!

Good topic and thought provoking, God bless...

2008/1/3 19:05
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Hi richardf,

I'm wondering if this is talking about the walk or fight of our faith? Am thinking also of the emphasis on the faith of those described in the chapter before.

What do you think?

2008/1/3 19:27Profile

Re:

Sorry for my lack of reply-age, I've been ill so haven't logged on for a bit!

Quote:
Intens4Him wrote:

To be like HIM and to be made perfect when we arrive.

This is what I was trying to get at.

The reason I asked the questions was because I have heard people talk about this race (described in Hebrews 12) as being the race to get to heaven. Some people say that running the race is trying to get to heaven.

When I think about it like this, it seems a bit selfish to be running the race so we can get to heaven. Should that really be our aim? If it is, then we (I have in the past) can end up in the mentality of, 'Hey, I'm not great, but I'm just trying to get to heaven so it doesn't matter much anyway. Just do your best.'

Being a Christian isn't really about going to heaven, it's about glorifying God with our lives, and learning to be more like Him, more like Christ.

Quote:
ChrisJD said:

I'm wondering if this is talking about the walk or fight of our faith? Am thinking also of the emphasis on the faith of those described in the chapter before

It's more asking the question on what we are actually walking/running for.

Any thoughts?

2008/1/5 7:44
davyman

Re:

I like to turn to the purpose of the book of Hebrews. The writer is encouraging the Hebrew believers to not apostate. He has seen some apostacy and wants to encourage the remnant to endure the hardships they are facing. The race is a marathon, ran in the face of discouragement, that ultimately leads to the prize.

The Hebrew readers were encouraged to run in the face of persecution, let us learn to run in the face of prosperity. They were tempted to turn away because of difficulty, we are tempted to turn away because of ease.

SDG,

Dave

2008/1/5 12:14Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Quote:

"""What is the race that the author describes here? What is the prize?

Is the race about heaven, or is it more about us being made perfect when we arrive in heaven?"""

The Prize is, "Christ in you the Hope of Glory."

The Race is to get the Spirit of Christ to come forth in us as Him, by the work of the Holy Spirit, that is now in us. Christ the finished work, the Holy Spirit the finisher of the race, that is now in us as is the Spirit of Christ.

This is the total race: Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

::::: Preach and teach every man warning him that presenting every man perfect is only in Christ Jesus: The race is labored for, strived for and is His working in us mightily.

Without Christ in us we are nothing and can do nothing. By the Christ in us we are to, that is: Colossians 3:1-4 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Our race is not earthly but heavenly. This is our only effort in the race: Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service.

The living sacrifice Himself that is in us is the only reasonable service the Father will accept, and this by the mercies of God. Ephesians 2:7-10 That in the ages to come He might shew the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

We cannot boast in the race, the prize is the Gift of God, that is "the Christ in you the hope of Glory".

In Christ: Phillip

2008/1/5 22:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy