SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Recommend a Christian college/university.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re: Recommend a Christian college/university.

Quote:

iansmith wrote:

PS. No Leonard Ravenhill 'Bush University' quotes either... as much as I respect brother Len.

I Would have never posted it, but when i noticed the thread topic; Bush University was the 1st thing that came to mind :-P

2008/1/3 9:31Profile

Re:

Quote:

Koheleth wrote:
A very good question. In order to best answer, more information is needed. Let me give examples. If your purpose is to become like Jesus, it would be proper to answer that Jesus did not go to college. If your purpose were to become a preacher or an engineer or an artist, we would need to recommend different schools, since they all have their strengths and weaknesses (or specializations). Personally, I believe there are definitely places for college, whenever training is needed for a field and it can best be provided through a college or university. However, it should never be assumed that any particular education is necessary. Give us more info and we'll give you more of an answer. [edited]

Good answer. Jesus has all wisdom, no need for college. Did Paul go to college? Didn't need to, he was given what to say by the Holy Spirit. Paul's writings seem often be rambling, hard to follow, even though it was all absolute truth. Nothing wrong with college, if one does not let the worldly people inflence them, instead of being an influence on the worldly people.

Most go to college to achieve greater wealth. Not a good motive. It is a proven fact that a most college graduates have a larger salary than one who does not, but not always the case.

When I hear a preacher or see a person make a great well written post with good sentence structure and spelling, I have to pray hard, not to covet the gift. It is very important that one is able to present the truth in a manner that is understandable, as pointed out to me by a young man recently, but unless the Holy Spirit moves on the man's words, they will only fall on deaf ears, regardless of how they were spoken or written. Many preachers who are actually preaching truth, are in a sense speaking in tongues to many of the church people on the membership roll, as in babel, they don't have a clue what he is saying even though he is speaking truth, because they lack the Holy Spirit's power to give them understanding. My advice is ask the Holy Spirit to guide you in your choice of college, if the Holy Spirit cannot instruct us these things, how can HE guide us in anything. Many people will look at another with eyewalls when they say the Holy Spirit or God told me to do this or that. God speaks to us many ways, through HIS WORD, HIS people, and sometimes HE just speaks. Audible, much clearer than that. 8-)

2008/1/3 10:06

Re:

Oral Roberts University...

[size=xx-small](just kidding!!)[/size]

Krispy

2008/1/3 10:15
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

This thread is all the proof that I need that no one actually ever reads the first post.

Someone did ask me where I am in my walk. I attended a public university and graduated with degrees in history and international studies. While attending school I accepted Christ and that radically changed my direction when I left college.

I've been kind of stumbling along until some time two summers ago when I read an article by Keith Green titled, 'Why you should go to the mission field.' Ever since then I've been praying, training and preparing for the missions field.

I've currently got a job with a Christian ministry that allows me daily contact with mission organizations around the country. I've dramatically paid down my debts. I've been active in volunteering and with meeting with retired missionaries and other people interested in missions.

I spend several hours a day reading missionary literature, the Word, trying to prepare my heart and mind as much as I can for the work which God has put on my heart (of course I know that he's really the only one who can change my heart).

Over the past year I've tried several avenues towards the goal that I feel God is leading me towards, and ever time it keeps coming back to attending a Christian college/university to study missions/evangelism/cross-cultural studies at a graduate level.

I've taken the GRE which is required by some Christian colleges and I did much better than I expected (the grace of God). It appears that all of the pieces are falling into place, I just want to make sure that I pick the right college.

Right now I'm leaning towards Wheaton, since I have family in Wheaton IL and they have a scholarship for their missions dept. I'm also interested in Fuller Northwest, since it wouldn't require me to move, and I should be able to get a scholarship through the SBA, my denomination.

But if there is a better program out there, I would love to know.

2008/1/3 10:17Profile
BenK

Harrisburg PA

Re: Recommend a Christian college/university.

I am currently a student at Liberty in their distance learning program for a Bible degree. It's been pretty good so far, although an upcoming class is using "The Purpose Driven Church" as part of it's curriculum.:( That actually has me thinking.....
The only saving grace in that class is a John Macarthur book that is also being used. Hopefully more of the Macarthur and very little of the Warren!

2008/1/3 10:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
This thread is all the proof that I need that no one actually ever reads the first post.

Actually the very first thing I did was read the original post because people seem to never read the original post in any threads I start too.

I didnt respond (at least seriously) because I got my engineering degree from the University of Tennessee (Go Vols! Go Rocky Top!)... and really dont know much about Christian colleges.

I have been impressed with Bob Jones University in Greenville SC, about an hour down the mountain from where I live. Very conservative, fundamentalist, teaches "be ye seperate", etc etc... used to be a KJV place, but sadly they have changed over the past decade or so and are not solidly KJV anymore. I know that doesnt bother some here, but it does me.

Thats about the extent of my knowledge of Christian colleges.

Krispy

2008/1/3 10:44

Re:

If this was not aimed at my post disregard it and if it was I forgive you brother, if it was no problem either and please forgive me either way. The objective was to give what advice I felt God would have me give instead focusing on over 22 times about my, I, I've, I'm and me.

2008/1/3 10:47
jimp

Re:

hi, wheaton,trinity in dearfield,moody... all in or near chicaGO...Jimp

2008/1/3 10:59Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Moe, very frankly speaking, you answered exactly the way I asked people not to answer in the question. This isn't a debate on whether Christians should or shouldn't go to college. But simply a list of recommendations of which colleges/universities are worth attending.

Moe, please feel free to give your personal testimony impromptu without using words like I, me, my, i'm etc.

If I was writing a theological paper, there probably wouldn't be as many references to myself, but someone suggested that they wouldn't know what to recommend without more background information, so I explained that I I IIIIII have a heart for missions. Or maybe God put a heart in me me me me for missions.

2008/1/3 11:48Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:
Tears said:
Ian, I would stick with the 'Bush', but if I get such a question, firstly I would ask the person:

What will [b]you[/b] do in that Christian University? Some adventure? Wife? Husband? Fun? Good time?

Has the Lord told [b]you[/b] to go there?

Why he has called [b]you[/b] to go there?

Are these the only reasons, that you have money and you don't have current attachments?

Moe, could you answer these questions without using 'I'?

2008/1/3 12:11Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy