SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How highly would you recommend the Geneva Bible?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

How highly would you recommend the Geneva Bible?

I know there are a few people on here that use or have used the Geneva Bible and I wondered what the pros and cons of it are. If you use it and the KJV which do you prefer?

There's a really good deal on it right now on [url=http://www.visionforum.com/search/productdetail.aspx?search=Geneva+Bible&productid=61350]Vision Forum[/url] through December 31st and I'm considering getting it.

Thoughts anyone?

BTW, this is a good time to get it if you're wanting it...it's fifty percent off! And Vision Forum has some other great deals right now...

2007/12/30 20:38
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: How highly would you recommend the Geneva Bible?

Quote:
I know there are a few people on here that use or have used the Geneva Bible and I wondered what the pros and cons of it are. If you use it and the KJV which do you prefer?

Sister,

I was just reading on the history of the geneva bible and how it came to be. I was quite impressed with the sovereign way God had these things come about. The KJV translators I believe used the earlier geneva work as a sort of standard. It is a viable translation of the bible and worthy of study. The one thing I do not like about this version is that their are not "large margins" which is the one thing stopping me from getting it. This is the "puritan" used version of the bible. As many it is hard to get away from the KJV for me. Are there any other reprints of the geneva bible that are comparable?

2007/12/30 20:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I went to the site of the publishers of the bible and it does seem like the margins are quite wide. Here is a free download link to the book of romans for anyone to download freely and see:

http://www.tollelegepress.com/gb/1599-Romans.pdf

Here is a great site with much more information on the bible:

http://www.tollelegepress.com/gb/geneva.php

Here also is a interesting facismile version of the old 1560 edition:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=562125&kw=562125&en=froogle&p=1013824#curr

2007/12/30 21:06Profile

Re:

The Geneva bible is interesting because of the notes in the margin made by the Reformers. I want to get this bible only account of those notes.

2008/1/1 14:33

Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:
The Geneva bible is interesting because of the notes in the margin made by the Reformers. I want to get this bible only account of those notes.

Yes, the notes would be quite interesting to have. One of my friends has the Bible and said the notes are good, not the geographical and archealogical type of notes (they didn't have much of the information then that we have now) but rather the rich insight of different men about the passage.

Thanks for the links, Greg. Those were interesting to look up and read.

My brother ended up buying a Geneva from Vision Forum and says I can 'use' it. :-) So I'll get to see what it's like. Though, after using the KJV since I could read...it's hard to think of switching to a different version! But I like the idea of having another translation of the Textus Receptus available for deeper insight into the Word of God.

2008/1/2 14:52

Re:

Which copy of the Geneva Bible is more to the English of King James? Is it the 1599 edition? I'd like to get a copy, but I don't want to get the copy that has
"F" for "S", for example. "Teftement" or "Affurance". Thanks

2008/2/23 18:24

Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:
Which copy of the Geneva Bible is more to the English of King James? Is it the 1599 edition? I'd like to get a copy, but I don't want to get the copy that has
"F" for "S", for example. "Teftement" or "Affurance". Thanks

Hi Compliments,

Well, I looked at my brother's copy (still in the plastic, btw :-( ), it's the 1599 from Vision Forum, and the cover on the box says, 'modern spelling', so I don't think it would be the old English spelling.

Hope that helps!

2008/2/25 14:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy