SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Ten Shekels and a Shirt

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
partofaplan

Ten Shekels and a Shirt

I'm sure there are a hundred other threads on this sermon, but I just wanted to say that this sermon helped me change my perspective on salvation.

I was also wondering if anyone has ever criticized the sermon at all.

2007/12/27 17:21Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Ten Shekels and a Shirt

I love how the Lord works. I was just listening to this sermon right before this post and decided to turn it off because of the project I am working on. Looks like I will need to turn it back on while I work.

Thank you Lord for using this brother to remind me that Your will comes before mine.

2007/12/27 17:24Profile
partofaplan

Re:

I have always felt called to missions and the experience Paris Reidhead had in Africa compelled me to ask God what was in my heart and to repent for my whole egocentric attitude towards missions. You'll want to keep listening for that.

2007/12/27 17:29Profile
poet

Longview WA

Re:

thats funny, I got in my truck this morning and was searching through my glove box and I had ten shekels and a shirt in there, so I popped it in an listened to it...This sermon is truly timeless.
Love it.

2007/12/27 17:55Profile

Re: Ten Shekels and a Shirt

Quote:

partofaplan wrote:
I'm sure there are a hundred other threads on this sermon, but I just wanted to say that this sermon helped me change my perspective on salvation.

Hi partofaplan,

I was wondering what your new perspective on salvation was. Could you elaborate?

2007/12/27 18:25
partofaplan

Re:

Yes. I was able to see that I had this idea in my heart that Jesus was in my life to serve me and give me blessings. Not blatantly, but I did act in a way that used salvation as a means to my ends.

It was more evident in the fact that when I sinned, I would go to God and ask forgiveness then do it again the next day. I had no desire for holiness. However, as I matured I began to see that I was having the wrong motives.

Then, last year I saw a video called the "Revival Hymn" and I heard for the first time one phrase that made me really think from Paris Reidhead in which he said that the glory of God is the ultimate end of Christianity and the reason we worship God is for who He is. That we should follow Him even if it means that we still go to hell at the end of it.

See, I realized that I was using Christ as a pawn for my life and so the cross was utterly useless to me. It was only when I thought more about that and read Romans again that I realized all of my problems with stem came from me seeking my own glory and not the glory of God.

If we seek God's glory and remember that His death on the cross was towards a rebellious and sinful world because He loved us, we will have no desire to sin and be disgusted by the thought of sinning against God. I am not saying that we will all be entirely sinless if we abide by this, but we will find that we our being renewed from glory to glory in holiness.

2007/12/27 18:40Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

The challenge with any good sermon, article or book is that we would go to seed on it. What I mean by that is that we run the risk of over reacting to the sermon by forgetting critical truths in scripture that are equally true to those presented in Ten Shekels or some other good sermon.

Ten Shekels takes on humanism, primarily and the reason why people enter the ministry. But we must bear in mind that God also loves us and desires good for us and not evil, and some see that as 'humanism'. Man's happiness is said by Paris to be a by product of God's grace and not a [i]prime product[/i]. I don't know that I would use that language because it almost comes off as though man's happiness was an unintentional consequence of God glorifying Himself. But what did Jesus come to do?

How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. (Acts 10:38)

One of the hardest things to swallow when you frequent repentance meetings and strong revival preaching is that God really, and truly loves us and desires what is best for us as we would for anyone we love. Jesus went about doing good for the same reason God gave Him in John 3:16. The passage does [i]not[/i] say, "For God so desired to glorify Himself that He gave His only begotten Son..."

So we see then that a prime reason why Christ came was because man needed redemption. There is a critical balance that is very very difficult to find. We are saved by grace through faith and that grace is provided because God is a [u]loving[/u] God.

It is a tough thing to preach repentance in love. Certain attainment of some standard can often lead to a proud boldness that condemns sinners rather than the preacher considering themselves, etc. This can happen virtually undetected and the preacher believe their condemning tone and attitude is actually 'loving'; but only God can discern our hearts in such a way to say yea or nay. Holiness and perfection preaching (though I consider myself to be in those camps also) complicate the situation. But finding the right spirit in which to preach, so as not to be as the disciple that "knew not what manor of spirit he was of" is of supreme importance. This is why we need to recognize many things that we often ignore.

So in answer to any criticisms, I would just say that the message is simply one among many that every minister and Christian ought to allow God to deal with them through. It is important, but so are a vast number of other messages that get very little press.

2007/12/27 19:50Profile

Re:

Quote:
I was able to see that I had this idea in my heart that Jesus was in my life to serve me and give me blessings.

Is'nt that exactly what he wants to do?

I remember the first time I heard the "Revival Hymn" It really moved me, even to tears. It's amazing how it's put together. The beutiful music in the back ground. Canon D playing softly while Reidhead, and Ravenhill, and others preach. The way the Music breaks out at a crucial point in Reidheads sermon. It's a work of art.

It's said that Adolf Hitler would use the beating of the drums to hypnotize his people. His speaches and the power behind the message would literally whip them into a frenzy.

All I'm saying is that before we change our views on something, we have to be sure about what it is that is moving us to change our views. Is it the TRUTH in the message, or could it be something else?

2007/12/27 22:33
partofaplan

Re:

Quote:

chiefosiners wrote:
Quote:
I was able to see that I had this idea in my heart that Jesus was in my life to serve me and give me blessings.

Is'nt that exactly what he wants to do?

I remember the first time I heard the "Revival Hymn" It really moved me, even to tears. It's amazing how it's put together. The beutiful music in the back ground. Canon D playing softly while Reidhead, and Ravenhill, and others preach. The way the Music breaks out at a crucial point in Reidheads sermon. It's a work of art.

It's said that Adolf Hitler would use the beating of the drums to hypnotize his people. His speaches and the power behind the message would literally whip them into a frenzy.

All I'm saying is that before we change our views on something, we have to be sure about what it is that is moving us to change our views. Is it the TRUTH in the message, or could it be something else?

I'm not saying that God doesn't desire to bless our lives, nor that we should never enjoy His blessings. But these blessings are a bonus next to the real goal of our existence, which is to glorify God.

I think I really had to see what the word "glorify" means. I thought it meant just having Him and claiming Him. I guess I realized it had to mean something deeper to me, where His death and resurrection was very much a gift to a rebellious world and that no greater love should compel me to not just simply say I believe in it, but to also see that everyone else I interact with has the deepest need to actually appreciate it so the lamb could receive the reward of His suffering.

2007/12/28 9:17Profile
reformer

Re:

love the sermon, one of my favorites.

You need to check out the website by his Paris Reidhead's family, I asked for some advice on a certain book by Paris Reidhead wrote, and when I checked the mail box a couple of weeks after, they sent me about 5 or 6 books at no charge!!!, didn't even know they where doing this. His ministry is still touching and reaching those that need HIM. His family is carrying on the ministry

2007/12/28 11:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy