SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I will not leave you as orphans

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I will not leave you as orphans

If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
(John 14:15-18)

In the verses above, Jesus began to declare to His disciples that He was going to be returning to the Father soon. God the Son became a man for a short while to complete a very specific task, that of redeeming all of mankind from the curse of sin. Jesus was about to accomplish that work which he had to do and His disciples really didn't understand all that was about to happen. They only knew that they didn't want Jesus to leave them.

Jesus makes a very precious promise here to His disciples, the promise that He would not be leaving them as orphans. Here was the promise that He would come to them, through the Holy Spirit dwelling within them. When Jesus was in His physical body he could only be in one place at a time. But the Holy Spirit has a worldwide ministry because He is omnipresent. Jesus came to accomplish a work and then leave. But the Holy Spirit abides forever and ever. The disciples life with Jesus was one of following and faltering. Their life with the Holy Spirit within was completely transformed (read the book of Acts), boldly declaring the gospel of Jesus Christ in the same place where Jesus had been crucified only months before.

The blessed Holy Spirit has been given to those who obey God, He is a trusted Guide, a beloved Comforter, and a mighty Power. It is no wonder that Jesus said it was to our advantage that He would go away and the Holy Spirit would come. And when the Spirit comes he brings believers into the truth and He brings conviction of sin, righteousness, and judgment to the world. The whole basis of the Holy Spirit's ministry is the work and Person of Jesus Christ. He brings the life of Christ to the believer, and the conviction of the great need for Christ to the unbeliever. What an incredible privilege it is for us today to live in this dispensation of the Holy Spirit. I would like to challenge you to ponder this wonderful gift we've been given and seek God with all your heart to enter into the fullness of all He has provided through Jesus Christ our Lord.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/12/23 19:11Profile

Re: I will not leave you as orphans

This was good Brother.

I also found an excellent message that went well with it.

[url=http://www.whitestoneonline.org/articles/Carnal%20or%20Spiritual.htm]by Andrew Murray[/url]

Thank you!

2007/12/24 2:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy