Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Stockpile food for flu crisis

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Stockpile food for flu crisis

[b]Stockpile food for flu crisis[/b]

EVERY Australian household should stockpile at least 10 weeks' worth of food rations to prepare for a deadly flu pandemic, a panel of leading nutritionists has warned.

World health experts now agree a pandemic is inevitable and will spread rapidly, wiping out up to 7.4 million people globally and triggering rapid food shortages.

Australia is expected to be among the first countries hit because of its proximity to Asia and high levels of international traffic.

read more: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0%2C23739%2C22929648-953%2C00.html

2007/12/22 10:48Profile

Re: Stockpile food for flu crisis

Just finding this thread. Inevitable? I'd say, we could pray against this first paragraph.

[b][i]World health experts now agree a pandemic is inevitable and will spread rapidly, wiping out up to 7.4 million people globally and triggering rapid food shortages.[/b][/i]

Australia is expected to be among the first countries hit because of its proximity to Asia and high levels of international traffic.

But Woolworths and Coles, the nation's two major supermarket chains, will run out of stock within two to four weeks without a supply chain – or even faster if shoppers panic.

This has prompted a team of leading nutritionists and dietitians from the University of Sydney to compile "food lifeboat" guidelines to cover people's nutritional needs for at least 10 weeks.

Their advice – published in the Medical Journal of Australia – would allow citizens to stay inside their homes and avoid contact with infected people until a vaccine becomes available.

The lifeboat includes affordable long-life staples such as rice, biscuits, milk powder, Vegemite, canned tuna, chocolate, lentils, Milo and Weet-Bix.

Jennie Brand-Miller, professor of human nutrition at the University of Sydney and co-leader of the study, believes it is common sense to stockpile food before a pandemic strikes.

"It's really not a question of if: it's a question of when," she said.

"We are going to have an epidemic. Chances are it will be avian flu (bird flu) but it might be something else.

"It will spread very rapidly just like flu does normally because it's a highly contagious organism, except this will be a really lethal one. What we suffer from is a false sense of security that someone else is looking after all this."

While there are emergency plans within governments, hospitals and the food industry, individuals will still need to take personal precautions in a disaster, she said.

The most important message for the Australian public is to avoid going out in public when the pandemic hits, the research found.

"We know that once it becomes a highly transmissable virus it will probably fly around the world within three weeks," Prof Brand-Miller said.

"We know it's got all the right conditions to start in Indonesia or Asia and there have already been human transmissions.

The full food lifeboat guidelines are available at www.foodlifeboat.com.au

2007/12/26 0:00

Re: Stockpile food for flu crisis

Quote:
World health experts now agree a pandemic is inevitable and will spread rapidly, wiping out up to 7.4 million people globally and triggering rapid food shortages.

The Spanish Flu of 1918 wiped out 50 million worldwide. Whats coming will be far worse, it will even baffle scientists, it is said to be deadlier than the AIDS virus.

God have mercy!

2008/1/1 14:48

Re:

What confused me was this part ....

"""We are going to have an epidemic. Chances are it will be avian flu (bird flu) [i]but it might be something else.[/i]

"It will spread very rapidly just like flu does normally because it's a highly contagious organism, except this will be a really lethal one. What we suffer from is a false sense of security that someone else is looking after all this."""

It's basically saying it's coming, it's going to take out a lot of you - but we don't know WHAT'S coming.

Did you find this strange?

2008/1/1 14:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy