SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Who was it that Calvin killed for not agreeing with him?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
Lowly

Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:

Forget about Calvin and Arminism is and just consider the word.

"Just consider the word."

I believe everyone is trying to do just that. The Word has both of these concepts in it, and if you separate them that is where you fall on either side.

God has truly done it all, but man is accountable to respond.

Man must receive, enter in, diligently seek, allow, walk, follow, believe, put on, put off........ect.

God has fully supplied, finished, promised, performed, it is freely given, granted, endowed, He has delivered, ransomed, won the victory......all has been accomplished by Him.."I will" the Lord says.

He will finish the work that He has started, but I am actively participating in allowing Him to finish it.

What a glorious thing!

In His amazing love,
Lowly

2007/12/27 10:07Profile

Re:

What I have heard about John Calvin, he sounds to me like an extremist. He took a subject and ran with it without consulting the rest of the warnings that the bible gives. Now mind you, I've never read his writings, but the things that I have heard I must agree with. But we have many warnings such as:

Quote:
"He that endures to the end the same shall be saved". "IF you, by the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body you shall live",

We can't just ignore these and wish them to mean something else. I think Calvin has some good points (from what I've heard) and Arminism has some good points. We shouldn't just derail Calvin for the sake of Arminism or vice versa, I think we should blend the two together and not be too extreme lest we too be unbalanced. And we know that a false balance is an abomination in the sight of God.

2007/12/27 11:04
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
What I have heard

Yes, but I have heard that Jesus was not really who He claimed to be.

I have heard that the Bible contradicts itself.

I have heard that.......

The only way to speak with any authority on a subject is to study it. Do not just parrot phrases that you have heard, and then copy and paste them on here as a defense.

I will tell you that I had never read any of Calvin's writings prior to switching to what is nicknamed "Calvinism". I had read many lies about him though, and also many lies about Luther and Augustine.

Scripture is what drove me to surrender to God's sovereignty in all things, not man's words. But I have yet to find a point that does not agree with Scripture within Calvin's writings thus far.

2007/12/27 13:00Profile
davyman

Re:

Quote:

roaringlamb wrote:
Quote:
What I have heard

Yes, but I have heard that Jesus was not really who He claimed to be.

I have heard that the Bible contradicts itself.

I have heard that.......

The only way to speak with any authority on a subject is to study it. Do not just parrot phrases that you have heard, and then copy and paste them on here as a defense.

I will tell you that I had never read any of Calvin's writings prior to switching to what is nicknamed "Calvinism". I had read many lies about him though, and also many lies about Luther and Augustine.

Scripture is what drove me to surrender to God's sovereignty in all things, not man's words. But I have yet to find a point that does not agree with Scripture within Calvin's writings thus far.

Well put roaringlamb. Iwas reminded of Spurgeon's sermon "A Defense of Calvinism:"

Well can I remember the manner in which I learned the doctrines of grace in a single instant. Born, as all of us are by nature, an Arminian, I still believed the old things I had heard continually from the pulpit, and did not see the grace of God. When I was coming to Christ, I thought I was doing it all myself, and though I sought the Lord earnestly, I had no idea the Lord was seeking me. I do not think the young convert is at first aware of this. I can recall the very day and hour when first I received those truths in my own soul-when they were, as John Bunyan says, burnt into my heart as with a hot iron, and I can recollect how I felt that I had grown on a sudden from a babe into a man-that I had made progress in Scriptural knowledge, through having found, once for all, the clue to the truth of God. One week-night, when I was sitting in the house of God, I was not thinking much about the preacher's sermon, for I did not believe it. The thought struck me, How did you come to be a Christian? I sought the Lord. But how did you come to seek the Lord? The truth flashed across my mind in a moment- I should not have sought Him unless there had been some previous influence in my mind to make me seek Him. I prayed, thought I, but then I asked myself, How came I to pray? I was induced to pray by reading the Scriptures. How came I to read the Scriptures? I did read them, but what led me to do so? Then, in a moment, I saw that God was at the bottom of it all, and that He was the Author of my faith, and so the whole doctrine of grace opened up to me, and from that doctrine I have not departed to this day, and I desire to make this my constant confession, "I ascribe my change wholly to God."

SDG,

Dave

2007/12/28 23:20Profile

Re:

Dave wrote:

Quote:
I did need reforming. I was hell-bouunnd by my sin and Christ reformed me.

Actually Dave, this is where we differ. Jesus didn't come to reform me, HE came to REDEEM me. Two totally different concepts.

Many forget that there were Christians long before the Reformers of the 1500's. Huss, Wycliff for two came long....a couple hundred years in fact, before Calvin and Luther.

There have always been Born Again Christians who were NEVER Catholic to begin with, and needed no reforming.

Those Christians, were also murdered by the Catholic Church for not submitting to Catholicism. It wasn't just Jews who were murdered for not conforming.

The True Church, from the beginning of Pentacost have always been with us, as Revlation states clearly, that the gates of Hell will not prevail against the Church...the *Heavenly* Body of Christ. (Written long before the Catholic Church tried to take control). And that fact still stands today, regardless of what earthly group of Dominionists tries to take dominion over your minds and hearts.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/12/30 12:22

Re:

Quote:
Katy-Did said
"Many Calvinists are Masons, this is a fact..."

What is the purpose of making this statement? To goad people into fighting with you?

Katy, when the Lord Jesus came into the house of Simon, what did he do to show his gratitude? Accuse the Lord Jesus in his heart of not being a prophet because a sinner was washing his feet.

Have you washed any feet since you've been here?

Chris, have you ever wondered why the Reformed Churches in America preach the Gospel of America and not the Gospel of Salvation?

It never ends, how ( James Kennedy for one) teaches all this about the Puritans coming to America and that America is God's New chosen People...that we're God's New Promise land" Read The Light and the Glory by Peter Marshall.

The fact is, all those who they profess were our founding fathers were either Masons or Deists Masons.....

When I hear what a wonderful Christian Thomas Jefferson was, I want to scream....he was not a Christian.

He actually wrote or should I say re-wrote the Bible, calling it the Jefferson Bible, taking OUT everything having to do with the virgin Birth, the deity of Christ and redemption through the Blood. It is/was a book of just plain moral living.

So, Reformed teachers want to re-write American History hoping to prey on the ignorance of Americans.

The fact is, our founding for-fathers were Masons, who the Reformed Churches exalt as Christians.

God never made a Covenant with a Gentile nation...ever.

When we hear...If My people who are called by my name will humble themselves. etc, etc, is used for America , how wrong is that.

That Promise was to Israel, a THEOCRACY, which we are not.

To put it another way. If you lived in China and were a Christian, humbling yourself, would God heal that land too, or Somalia, or anywhere else...NO!

Jesus said MY KINGDOM is not of the world.

No one is trying to cause a fight....but only trying to cause you to think....FACTS!

Love in Christ
Katy-did

2007/12/30 12:40
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Katy, you are relentless with accusations.

My question to you remains the same. Have you washed anyone's feet since you've been here?

Chris

2007/12/30 12:54Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Katy,

"No one is trying to cause a fight....but only trying to cause you to think....FACTS!"

I suppose Simon thought the accusations in his heart about the Lord Jesus were true.

2007/12/30 12:56Profile

Re:

ChrisJD, Do you understand the meaning behind washing feet?

Can you find a practice in any of the Epistles James, Paul or Peter wrote about Feet washing?

When we are washed int eh Blood, we are Clean, yet in this world we get our feet dirty.

Peter said...Wash all of me, and Jesus said, that wasn't necessary.

If we confess our sin, He is faithful and Just to forgive our sin and to cleanse from all unrighteousness.

Do you know where this began?

Exodus 30:20-22
20When they go into the tabernacle of the congregation, they shall wash with water, that they die not; or when they come near to the altar to minister, to burn offering made by fire unto the LORD:

21So they shall wash their hands and their feet, that they die not: and it shall be a statute for ever to them, even to him and to his seed throughout their generations.

22Moreover the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

Yes, we are a Holy and Royal Priesthood unto God.

This signifies our own cleansing that only Christ Himself can do. Yet, when we do see others who are our brothers and sisters getting their feet dirty by the world, tip-toeing through Tulip Gardens God never planted to begin with, we do our best to warn those to wash their feet before it's too late.

Christ washes the disciples' feet.

By Matthew Henry:

Our Lord Jesus has a people in the world that are his own; he has purchased them, and paid dear for them, and he has set them apart for himself; they devote themselves to him as a peculiar people. Those whom Christ loves, he loves to the end. Nothing can separate a true believer from the love of Christ. We know not when our hour will come, therefore what we have to do in constant preparation for it, ought never to be undone. What way of access the devil has to men's hearts we cannot

tell. But some sins are so exceedingly sinful, and there is so little temptation to them from the world and the flesh, that it is plain they are directly from Satan. Jesus washed his disciples' feet, that he might teach us to think nothing below us, wherein we may promote God's glory, and the good of our brethren. We must address ourselves to duty, and must lay aside every thing that would hinder us in what we have to do. Christ washed his disciples' feet, that he might signify to them the

value of spiritual washing, and the cleansing of the soul from the pollutions of sin. Our Lord Jesus does many things of which even his own disciples do not for the present know the meaning, but they shall know afterward. We see in the end what was the kindness from events which seemed most cross. And it is not humility, but unbelief, to put away the offers of the gospel, as if too rich to be made to us, or too good news to be true. All those, and those only, who are spiritually washed by

Christ, have a part in Christ. All whom Christ owns and saves, he justifies and sanctifies. Peter more than submits; he begs to be washed by Christ. How earnest he is for the purifying grace of the Lord Jesus, and the full effect of it, even upon his hands and head! Those who truly desire to be sanctified, desire to be sanctified throughout, to have the whole man, with all its parts and powers, made pure. The true believer is thus washed when he receives Christ for his salvation. See then what

ought to be the daily care of those who through grace are in a justified state, and that is, to wash their feet; to cleanse themselves from daily guilt, and to watch against everything defiling. This should make us the more cautious. From yesterday's pardon, we should be strengthened against this day's temptation. And when hypocrites are discovered, it should be no surprise or cause of stumbling to us. Observe the lesson Christ here taught. Duties are mutual; we must both accept help from our

brethren, and afford help to our brethren. When we see our Master serving, we cannot but see how ill it becomes us to domineer. And the same love which led Christ to ransom and reconcile his disciples when enemies, still influences him. (Jn 13:18-30)

So Chris, please don't use scripture out of context to fight battles.

Thou shall love the Lord your God with all your mind, heart, soul....and have NO OTHER GODS before you! ;-)

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/12/30 14:07
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Dear Katy-Did,

May God bless you in serving His people.

Chris

2007/12/30 14:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy