SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Jacob Wrestled with the Angel

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
donnaemmons9

Jacob Wrestled with the Angel

In Genesis chapter 32 is the story of Jacob wrestling with an angel. Jacob is a lot like us. He resists, holds back and relies largely upon himself. He is self sufficient. Jacob does come to a point of real faith in God. God gives him an experience.

It doesn't say Jacob wrestled with a man but that God wrestled with Jacob. It shows God initiating this relationship which He so lovingly does for us. God wanted Jacob to realize that his real struggle all along had been with God. He wanted to lift Jacob up to a new royal life and so He actually wrestled with him as though to compel him to yield. This struggle was probably needed for the growth of Jacob.

They wrestled all night. Jacob had to get to a point where he had no more strength. He touched Jacobs hip as if to say you have striven with all your might yet in 1 touch I can defeat you. Jacob needed to see the superiority of his opponent with clarity.

Jacob knew the right words and could perform the right actions but his heart was still not completely the Lords. He had a superficial faith. He needed to own his faith. Jacob replied when the angel wanted to leave. He said I will not let You go unless You bless me. He acknowledged God had the ability to bless him.

The man asked Jacob his name and when Jacob responded the man said your name will no longer be Jacob but Isreal because you have struggled with God and with men and have overcome.

Prayer: Thank You Jesus that You arrange divine appointments for us to meet with You. Thank You Lord that You reach out to us to save us from ourselves. In the name of Jesus. Amen.

2007/12/13 5:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy