PosterThread
brentw

Ohio

Huckabee speaks to southern baptist pastors

Huckabee: U.S. gave up on religion
School shootings were wake-up call, he says
LINDA S. CAILLOUET
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

SALT LAKE CITY -- Government may have dropped the ball in modern American society, but religion dropped it first, Gov. Mike Huckabee told Southern Baptist pastors Sunday night.
"The reason we have so much government is because we have so much broken humanity," he said. "And the reason we have so much broken humanity is because sin reigns in the hearts and lives of human beings instead of the Savior."
Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, addressed his contemporaries at the two-day Pastors' Conference, which continues today. The three-day Southern Baptist Convention begins Tuesday here in the heartland of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the city in which the Mormons have their world headquarters.
Huckabee told the pastors gathered in the Salt Palace Convention Center that while the March 1, 1997, tornadoes which struck Arkansas were tragic, at least the devastation could be clearly seen from a helicopter. In contrast, he said, the catalysts for the nation's recent school shootings -- including the one March 24 near Jonesboro that left four students and a teacher dead and 10 others wounded -- were harder to see but were driven by "the winds of spiritual change in a nation that has forgotten its God."
"Government knows it does not have the answer, but it's arrogant and acts as though it does," Huckabee said. "Church does have the answer but will cowardly deny that it does and wonder when the world will be changed."
The shootings were just one more wake-up call to the nation, he said.
"I fear we will turn and hit the snooze button one more time and lose this great republic of ours."
Huckabee said ungiving individuals are responsible for higher taxes.
"I'm often asked why taxes are so high and government is so big. It's because the faith we have in local churches has become so small. If we'd been doing what we should have -- giving a dime from every dollar to help the widows, the orphans and the poor -- we now wouldn't be giving nearly 50 cents of every dollar to a government that's doing ... what we should have been doing all along."
Huckabee also explained why he left pastoring for politics.
"I didn't get into politics because I thought government had a better answer. I got into politics because I knew government didn't have the real answers, that the real answers lie in accepting Jesus Christ into our lives."
He compared his entry into politics to "getting inside the dragon's belly," adding, "There's not one thing we can do in those marbled halls and domed capitols that can equal what's done when Jesus touches the lives of a sinner."
The most basic unit of government is not the city council, quorum court or state legislature, Huckabee said. "It is Mom and Dad raising kids and teaching them respect for authority, others and God."
The nation has descended gradually into crisis, Huckabee said, and repairing the damage needs to be gradual, too. He said the solution is simple: faith in Christ.
Huckabee recalled the five occasions he's had to sit by the phone on the eve of an execution.
"It's the greatest sense of helplessness and despair you can imagine to know we've exhausted all help and hope here on earth for that person."
He also spoke of his early misconceptions of his duties as a pastor.
"In one of the first churches I was assigned to, I thought I was supposed to be the captain of a warship leading the congregation into a battle against spiritual darkness," he said.
"But they wanted the captain of the Love Boat. They just wanted everybody to be happy. It was not about how many people were won to Christ or how many teens were pulled away from drugs or how many marriages were saved. Instead, it was about the seniors having a great trip going to watch the fall leaves change, the teen-agers going to a better summer camp than the church across town."
Huckabee concluded his speech by recalling his 10th birthday, when he accepted Christ.
"I went to Vacation Bible School for all the wrong reasons -- I was told they'd give me all the cookies I could eat and all the Kool-Aid I could drink. But that day I got something better than cookies and Kool-Aid. I got the Savior.
"I hope we answer the alarm clock and take this nation back for Christ."
Before Huckabee spoke, more than 350 copies of his new book, Kids Who Kill: Confronting our Culture of Violence, had been placed in reporters' press boxes in the convention center press room.

2007/12/10 14:55Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re: Huckabee speaks to southern baptist pastors

We as a nation must begin to fast and pray, and seek God that He would elect a righteous man to the presidency for this next term, I am concerned because I believe along with many that America is headed for dark days. We need a man of God who will lead the nation in righteousness.

Oh God, let it be done.

2007/12/10 16:28Profile

Re:

So far... I kinda like Huckabee. If the election were today, thats who would get my vote. At least he's saying all the right things.

And he purposely met with home school families when he was in Charlotte over the weekend. Thats the first time a candidate running for an office like the presidency has even acknowledged home schoolers.

Krispy

2007/12/10 16:36
Bomar

Re:

That's not exactly true Krispy:

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/home-schooling/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQP5KVM5tB8

The federal government does not own our children. Yet we act as if it does by letting it decide when, how, and what our children will learn. We have turned their futures over to lobbyists and bureaucrats.

I support giving educational control back to parents, who know their children better than any politician in D.C. ever will.

The federal government has no constitutional authority to fund or control schools. I want to abolish the unconstitutional, wasteful Department of Education and return its functions to the states. By removing the federal subsidies that inflate costs, schools can be funded by local taxes, and parents and teachers can directly decide how best to allocate the resources.

To help parents with the costs of schooling, I have introduced H.R. 1056, the Family Education Freedom Act, in Congress. This bill would allow parents a tax credit of up to $5,000 (adjustable after 2007 for inflation) per student per year for the cost of attendance at an elementary and/or secondary school. This includes private, parochial, religious, and home schools.

Another bill I have sponsored, H.R. 1059, allows full-time elementary and secondary teachers a $3,000 yearly tax credit, thus easing their financial burden and encouraging good teachers to stay in an underpaid profession.

Many parents have already shown their desire to be free of federal control by either enrolling their children in private schools or homeschooling them. And students enrolled in these alternatives have consistently performed better and tested higher than those in state-run schools.

Years of centralized education have produced nothing but failure and frustrated parents. We can resurrect our public school system if we follow the Constitution and end the federal education monopoly.

2007/12/10 17:28Profile
Bomar

Re: Huckabee speaks to southern baptist pastors

I think Huckabee's speech is very true, and seems like a very kind and caring man.

That being said, I personally don't feel the man has been honest as an Arkansas governor though. His record is not that appealing to the traditional conservative base, and I feel he tries to spin around the truth because he is now going for a different audience.

Here is an example. It's not "slander"....it's just the guy's record. Like I said, my problem is that he doesn't seem to answer questions about his record honestly.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/huckabees_fiscal_record.html

Here's a video I watched online where the reporter seemed to have to say "No, that's not that you did" a few times. I didn't like that.

pt 1 -www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPE0hT2oRVA
pt 2 - www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPE0hT2oRVA

2007/12/10 17:38Profile

Re:

I think the former Governor Huckabee hit the nail on the head in his speech. The answer is not in government but people whose lives have been changed by Jesus making decisions in government and in the lives of the people. I am still undecided on 08 election in a sense. The only thing I have decided I'm not going to vote for anyone that has gone and still going against Godly principles in their voting record without apoligy and repentence. As far as Huckabee and the tax increases. Let me explain Arkansas since I live here in Arkansas. The Arkansas State Senate and the House is over 75% democrats. Huckabee tried for years to convince the congress to repeal the grocery tax in Arkansas because of a tax surplus. The state legislature declined every time and would not let it happen until they got a Democatic Governor this past election and then bingo. On the new democratic governor's wishes the legislature voted to repeal half of the 6 cent grocery tax and enacted many more taxes that took away the 3 cent tax cut plus and most Arkansas people either don't pay close enough attention to know what happened or either don't care. The legislature fought Huckabee tooth and nail on everything because he did not keep God in the closet, even in his office. So when you check Arkansas's record, take all that into consideration. Huckabee is not afraid to admit mistake. I do not agree with all of Huckabee's decisions as Governor but did not disagree with anything that was along the lines of Godly principles. I also take into consideration he had much more information to make those decisions that I did. The advise I give the governor and any politician is to uplift the name of Jesus whether you are elected on not and as far as I can see that is the direction he is going in. It is the direction I pray that I make in my life, that HE (Jesus) might have preeminence in everything.
:-D

2007/12/11 10:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy