SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Covenant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
DirkW

Netherlands

Covenant

Could someone explain to me the covenant as read, to be interpreted from the bible?
God has a covenant through Jesus, what does this mean? etc.

Bless

2007/11/27 9:47Profile
jayyou

Re: Covenant

Hi DirkW wellcome to this site.

I would like to ad just a few questions to your post, if you allow me.

You asked about covenant in Jesus( which I am guessing your are talking about the new covenant)

I'd like to ad the following questions.

To Whom was the new covenant for?

Is there any covenant specifically for us Gentiles?

How I, being a Gentile, would include myself in the new covenant?

I would like to know what people believe in regard of this topic.

God Bless us all.

2007/11/28 7:14Profile

Re:

Paul tells us in Ephesians 2 that Gentiles are partakers of the Covenant*s* of promise.

The New Covenant is the Promise of the Holy Spirit. Gentiles, according to the foundation he laid, in Romans, specifically chapter 11 are grafted into this foundation.

The New Covenant needed to be fulfilled in order for the Promise of the Spirit to come on teh Gentiles, the Promise to Abraham that all families of the earth will be blessed. Paul explains this in Galatians.

NO Covenant was made specifically to Gentiles. Paul never taught that there was or is.

I hope that helped!

Love in Christ Jesus
Katy-Did

2007/11/28 7:37
DirkW

Netherlands

Re:

Hello,

Thanks for your replies. I want to know what does this covenant mean for me as a gentile? How can I live out of this covenant? I hear several preachers speaking about the covenant and how it changed there life of walking with God, prayer etc.
Now I want to know...what is this covenant, how can it relate to my everyday christian life? What's the strength, the promise of this covenant? All Christ, none of me..?

2007/11/28 8:32Profile

Re:

According to Bible, there are eight kinds of covenants.

2007/11/28 8:41
DirkW

Netherlands

Re:

the last covenant, Jesus made.

2007/11/28 9:15Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

chandras wrote:
According to Bible, there are eight kinds of covenants.

That's interesting. Can you tell us about them? I would like to know.

Thanks.

2007/11/28 10:05Profile

Re:

There are eight major covenants of special signifigance in explaining the out working of God's purposes with man.
They are:
1. Edenic Covenant: Gen 2:16.
2. The Adamic covenant: Gen 3:15.
3. The Noahic Covenant : Gen 9:16.
4. The Abrahamic Covnenat: Gen 12;2.
5. The Mosaic Covenant: Exodus 19:5.
6. The Palestinian Covenant: Deut 30;3.
7. The The Davidic Covenant. II Sam 7:16.
8. The New Covenant ; Heb 8:8

2007/11/28 10:26
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re: Covenant

DirkW wrote:

Quote:
ould someone explain to me the covenant as read, to be interpreted from the bible?
God has a covenant through Jesus, what does this mean? etc.

jayyou wrote:

Quote:
To Whom was the new covenant for?

Is there any covenant specifically for us Gentiles?

How I, being a Gentile, would include myself in the new covenant?

I would like to know what people believe in regard of this topic.

God Bless us all.

Hey guys, I'm not sure how in depth I should go here, so I am going to keep it very simple to start, and then if you want more information, just ask questions.

Ok, well to start let me tell you a little bit about God's covenant with Abraham.

Abraham in the old testament was a man who God made a covenant with that he would bless him and make a great nation out of him, and many other things.

God was faithful to do all the things He promised to Abraham, creating a great nation out of him, and blessing all of his descendants.

But what happened was that Abraham's descendants were not faithful to their part of the covenant, they disobeyed God, and acted wickedly, and as a result God's judgment came upon them many times, until eventually they ended up in bondage as slaves to the egyptian pharaoh.

God then because of His mercy sent a deliverer to them who would bring them out of bondage, this man was Moses, Moses was a typecast, or an example of Jesus Christ and the covenant that would come later.

So God delivered them from slavery by the hand of Moses, and promised to lead them to a great land, (part of His covenant with Abraham) but along the way, the descendants of Abraham (Israel) acted wickedly, and disobeyed God over and over again.

God gave Moses the ten commandments, so that Israel would see their sin and repent, but they did not, and so God did not let the disobedient ones enter in to the promised land.

God set the ten commandments as a standard that the Israelites had to fulfill so that they would enter into heaven, but they would not keep the laws of God, and disobeyed.

So God promised them another deliverer, that would make a new covenant with them, this deliverer was Jesus Christ.

Up until the point where Jesus came to deliver them, the nation of Israel had to offer sacrifices of animals to God, because without blood being shed, the Bible says there is no forgiveness of sin. So they always had to offer sacrifices to atone for the sin that they committed.

So when Jesus Christ came, He was fully God, and fully man, you can read about it in Matthew. But what Jesus did is He became the sacrifice for all the sins of man, His blood atoned, or forgave the sin of all men who would follow Him.

His covenant with men is that if a man will believe in Him, He will forgive their sins, deliver them from the bondage of sin and Satan, and give them eternal life.

It is not based upon the works of man, because the Bible tells us that even when we are at our most righteous state before God that our righteousness is no better than filthy rags.

The first covenant with Abraham was to the Jews, to Israel, but this new covenant is to all men, anyone may partake of it whether they are a Jew or a gentile.

So to enter into this covenant as a gentile, a man has to realize just how sinful he is before God, that he deserves the judgment of God for his disobedience, and that he has robbed God of the glory that God deserves.

It is not that a man is a good man or a bad man, but that every breath he takes if not surrendered to God is done in sin against God. A man must realize that God is holy, perfect, and pure, and that without Christ, we can be none of those things. That we are so wicked in everything we do that we do not even deserve to live.

That man must repent of his sin toward God, and he must put his faith in Jesus Christ that He is Lord, and that He rose from the dead after he became the covenant sacrifice.

To be apart of the covenant, you must serve Jesus Christ as Lord, that means you do what he tells you, you turn from sin and stop walking in it. That does not mean that we try to become perfect under our own power, but that we obey the voice of God.

So you must repent of your sin, which means that you turn from it, and you must believe in Jesus Christ as Lord, and surrender to Him and obey Him.
-------------------------------------------------

I hope that this helps answer most of your questions, feel free to ask questions about anything you don't understand, this is the best subject in the whole world to discuss.

2007/11/28 11:09Profile

Re:

http://www.praize.com/classics/article.php?id=551

http://www.praize.com/classics/search.php?query_search=everlasting+covenant&Submit=Search

Here are two excellent links sponsored by Sermon Index concerning the Everlasting Covenant, and all the other covenants that are subordinate to the Everlasting Covenant.

Jesus was raised from the dead through the blood of the *Everlasting Covenant* from the foundation of the world. Hebrews 13:20&21.

We, those who are Born Again, are raised up with Christ by that self same Spirit...Romans 8:11-13, given in the New Covenant, the Promise of the Holy Spirit.

These are a great blessing!

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/11/28 11:32

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy