SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "Sober-Mindedness Pressed Upon Youth" Matthew Henry sermon modernized and in installments

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: For our learning

Quote:
Keep up a quick and constant sense of your manifold defects and infirmities, of how much there is in you, and how much is said and done by you every day. Keep in mind that which you have reason to be ashamed of, and humbled for ...

Recent and timely.

Quote:
I strongly believe this type of good, clean puritan material is ideal for youth pastors and parents alike.

If I might emphasize [i]'For[/i], that is, not just for those under their care, but for the pastors, parents ... [i]themselves[/i].

Anyone, regardless of age. Something about going back over those things we tend to forget ... or is it those that we think we have yet mastered ...

2008/6/6 8:22Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

[b](5) You must be mild and gentle, and not indulgent of your passions[/b]. This signifies moderation, a soundness of mind that is opposed to frenzy and violence. We have need of sobriety to restrain and repress not only our inordinate appetites towards those things that are pleasing to our senses, but also to our irregular resentment of those things that are displeasing; for such a vexatious knowledge of good and evil mankind got by eating of the forbidden tree.

Young people are especially apt to be hot and furious, to resent rebukes and correction, and to study revenge like Simeon and Levi, whose fierce anger was cursed along with their cruel wrath. Their passions were ungoverned because their pride was unmortified.

Young people are fond of liberty and therefore cannot bear control, they are wedded to their own opinions and therefore cannot bear contradiction, but are all in a flame presently if crossed. They reckon it to their honor (when really it is a shame) to lay the reins on the neck of their passions and not care what indecencies they are being transporting into by them, nor do they consider how mischevious the consequences may be.

Learn, therefore, to bridle your anger, and to guard against the sparks of provocation, that they may not fall into the tinder. If the fire be already kindled, put it out presently by commanding peace in your own souls and setting a watch before the door of your lips. And when at any time you are affronted, or think yourselves so, aim not at the wit of a sharp answer (which will only stir up more anger) but at the wisdom and grace of a soft answer (which will turn away wrath - Prov. 15:1).

You are setting out in the world now, and would have your passage through it be comfortable. Nothing will contribute more to that than a quiet spirit. "The meek shall inherit the earth" was God's promise, by David first (Ps. 37:11), and then after by the Son of David (Matt. 5:5). By the good government of your passions, you will make yourselves easy, and easy to those about you. A great deal of mischief both to others and to yourselves will be prevented.

The moral philosophers valued themselves very much upon the power which their instructions had upon young people - to soften and sweeten their temper and teach them to govern their passions and keep a strict hand upon them. And shall Christianity, by adding the authority of God and forbidding rash anger as heart-murder and the example of the Lord Jesus Christ that bought us and bid us learn of Him to be meek and lowly of heart, and with the consolations of the Holy Spirit which have a direct tendency to make us pleasant to ourselves and others along with the experiences of God's grace and mercy forbearing and forgiving us - shall this divine and heavenly institution come short of moral philosopshy in plucking up this root of bitterness which bears gall and wormwood to make us peaceful and gentle and easy to be entreated, which are the bright and blessed characters of the wisdom from above? (Jas 3:17)

If you let your passions control you now while you are young, they will be in danger of growing more and more headstrong as you get older, and of making you perpetually uneasy. But if you get dominion over them now, you will easily keep this dominion and so keep the peace in your hearts and houses, and through the grace of God it will not be in the power of even sickness or old age to make you peevish, sour your temper or embitter your spirit. Put on therefore among the ornaments of your youth "as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness and long-suffering".

Your age is made for love; let holy love therefore be a law unto you.

- Matthew Henry

** section (6) coming soon.

2008/12/2 22:26Profile
BlazedbyGod

Re: "Sober-Mindedness Pressed Upon Youth" Matthew Henry sermon modernized a

Where can I find this sermon at?

2008/12/2 22:36Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

You can't find these sermons on their own; they're part of Henry's complete writings that I acquired in 8 volumes when my wife bought me his unabriged commentary. Along with the commentary, I have his complete sermons, catechisms, prayers, hymns and biographies. I'm having to type this sermon out manually, section by section, but it's worth it.

Henry's sermons and discourses are absolute pure gold. You can search the entire internet and not find them printed individually. I think this is the first effort to actually break one down and slightly modernize it to reach a wider audience. I know this because when I do a google seach on "Sober-mindedness Pressed Upon Youth" I always end up back here, to SermonIndex where I've been featuring it.

My vision is to edit these even more and to get them into pamphlet form to disseminate among youth groups and adults.

Brother Paul

2008/12/2 22:49Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: "Sober-Mindedness Pressed Upon Youth"

[i]Learn, therefore, to bridle your anger, and to guard against the sparks of provocation, that they may not fall into the tinder. If the fire be already kindled, put it out presently by commanding peace in your own souls and setting a watch before the door of your lips. And when at any time you are affronted, or think yourselves so, aim not at the wit of a sharp answer (which will only stir up more anger) but at the wisdom and grace of a soft answer (which will turn away wrath - Prov. 15:1).[/i]

[i]If you let your passions control you now while you are young, they will be in danger of growing more and more headstrong as you get older, and of making you perpetually uneasy.[/i]

And irritable

[i]But if you get dominion over them now, you will easily keep this dominion and so keep the peace in your hearts and houses, and through the grace of God it will not be in the power of even sickness or old age to make you peevish, sour your temper or embitter your spirit. Put on therefore among the ornaments of your youth "as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness and long-suffering".[/i]

Remarkable that this is geared towards the youth. I still marvel at how slow to grasp these known things I am.

..[i]if you get dominion over them now, you will easily keep this dominion and so keep the peace in your hearts and houses ...[/i]

2008/12/3 0:02Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: (6)

[b](6) You must be chaste and reserved, and not wanton and impure.[/b] The lusts of the flesh which are manifest - adultery, fornication, uncleaness and lasciviousness (Gal.5:19) - are particularly called youthful lusts. And against those, in Christ's name, I am here to warn all you that are young.

For God's sake, and for your own precious soul's sake, flee these youthful lusts; dread them as you would a devouring fire, or a destroying plague, and keep at a distance from them. Abstain from all appearances of these sins, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh, even the attire of a harlot. Covet not to know these depths of Satan, but take pride in being ignorant of the way of the adulterous woman. See all temptations to uncleaness as coming from the unclean spirit, that roaring lion who goes about continually, thus seeking to devour young people. O that you would conceive a detestation and abhorrence of this sin and put on a firm and steady resolution in the strength of the grace of Jesus Christ to never defile yourselves with it; remember what the apostle prescribes, as that which ought to be the constant care of the unmarried, to be holy in both body and spirit, and so to please the Lord (I Cor. 7:34).

Take heed of the beginnings of this sin, lest Satan get an advantage against you and the little thief who insensibly breaks in through the window, goes on to open the door for the strong man to enter. How earnestly doth Solomon warn the young man to take heed of the baits, lest he be taken in the snares of the evil woman! "Remove thy way far from her," saith he, for he that would be kept from harm, must keep out of harm's way. "Come not nigh to the door of her house," but go on the other side of the street, as though it were a house infected; lest you mourn at last when your flesh and body are consumed. Pray earnestly to God for the grace to keep you from this sin, that the grace may be sufficient for you, that the temptation never be so sudden, that it may find you awake and aware of it, and that you may not be surprised by it. Pray that it never be so strong as to find you unarmed against it; but put on the whole armor of God that you may not be overpowered and overcome by it.

Get your hearts purified by the Word of God, and sanctified by divine love, for how else shall young people cleanse their way, but by taking heed thereto, according to the Word? Keep up the authority of conscience, and keep it always tender and void of offence. Make a covenant with your eyes, that they may not be the inlets of any impure thoughts, or the outlets of any impure desires; and pray David's prayer: "Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity," that you may never look and lust. Modesty is the hedge of chastity, and the ornament of your age, so be sure to let your dress and demeanor exemplify modesty, and as such to speak a chaste communication coupled with fear. Make it so that you know how to be pleasant and cheerful without transgressing even the strictest rules of modesty - and that you are ignorant of being anything but modest.

I would especially charge you that are young to take heed that no corrupt filthy communication proceed out of your mouth. Never dare speak nor delight to hear anything that is immodest. "Fornication, and all uncleanliness, let it not be once named among you"; indeed, foolish talking and jesting "which is not convenient" is very unbecoming for professors of such a pure and undefiled religion as Christianity. It is "evil communication" which corrupts good manners, and for which our Savior saith we must give account on the great day. Think therefore what a great dishonor lascivious talk is to God, what a reproach it is to yourselves, and what mischief it does to those you converse with. Think of how great a matter a spark of this fire from hell may kindle, and how much the sin and ruin of souls you may have to answer for. God turns those to a pure language whom he brings to call upon his name (Zeph. 3:9).

***** section (7) coming soon

2008/12/3 10:17Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

Paul I must say that these words from Mr. Henry are very much needed today. He speaks with such clarity and authority bringing us to the great word of God that we may gaze upon it and be changed and confirmed to the image of christ. I really enjoy the practical nature of these teachings and how the text he uses are extremely relevant to the nature of the topics he addresses. I wish I could spend the day in your library my friend as you have the same love for the word of God and the puritans that I have. Continue to feed us with this rich and foundational teaching that will cause us by the grace of God to stand in his power. Thanks brother paul

2008/12/3 10:29Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

This quote is just awesome. it is from the the section titled:(5) You must be mild and gentle, and not indulgent of your passions.

"Learn, therefore, to bridle your anger, and to guard against the sparks of provocation, that they may not fall into the tinder. If the fire be already kindled, put it out presently by commanding peace in your own souls and setting a watch before the door of your lips. And when at any time you are affronted, or think yourselves so, aim not at the wit of a sharp answer (which will only stir up more anger) but at the wisdom and grace of a soft answer (which will turn away wrath - Prov. 15:1)."

By the grace of God may we remember these sober words from Matthew Henry. May we remember that we are right now standing in the omnipresense of God with his ever watchful eye upon us seeing every deed and action, discerning the thoughts and intents of the Heart Hebrews 4:12.

2008/12/3 10:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Paul I must say that these words from Mr. Henry are very much needed today. He speaks with such clarity and authority bringing us to the great word of God that we may gaze upon it and be changed and confirmed to the image of christ. I really enjoy the practical nature of these teachings and how the text he uses are extremely relevant to the nature of the topics he addresses.

Amen. As I type these sections out, I am overcome with just a sense of wholesomeness and purity and soundness of doctrine that makes my eyes well up with tears. It's the epitome of exegetical cleanliness. It really causes you to look around with sadness and say, "O God where is this type of preaching today, where are the preachers who can lay it out so Biblically plain and simple and unashamedly clean and pure?"

It's almost taboo to talk about some of these things from the pulpit today, especially for the youth, because no one wants to run the risk of driving a kid from the meeting by listing a bunch of religious cans and cannots. But this is precisely the reason why our churches and youth groups are compromised - they've been infected by the world's vanity due to the lack of soundness and hygiene in the preaching. It's not what we preach, as much as [i]what we don't preach and exemplify by our lives.[/i]

We leave out the the antibiotics of purity in scripture exegesis, and the strains proliferate right before our eyes. The aspirin and tylenol and Flintstone chewables of the sermons being offered today only alleviate the pain and bolster an already-compromised immune system, but we need something greater: we need to kill the bug that causes the pain and sickness - we need the antibiotic of pure preaching and the wholesome, righteous dividing of the Word by ministers whose lives are pure and consciences before God undefiled.

2008/12/3 11:24Profile
Fuegodedios

Richmond, VA

Re:

I agree with you brother paul. I had a gentleman confront me about the puritans and he stated that he could not read them because they took the scriptures seriously. I was very shocked at that statement, but this lets me know that men do not love sound doctrine, they do not hold as precious Gods word and the theology it relays to us. So many have turned to fables,feelings,and superfical knowledge and boast that they have all things and have need of nothing being, but in fact they are in spiritual poverty.

This Neglect of the truth will eventually lead to a distain and hatred for the truth and when that happens men don't realize that they build a foundation in which deception can sit. Matter of fact this very hatred of biblical truth gives way to the Antichrist system.

2 Thess 2:8-12
8Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming;

9that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders,

10and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved.

11For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false,

12in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

These very people are taken by deception because they did not stand upon the truth or neither did they Love or believe the truth. John 17:17 says thy word is truth. I was very guilty of this myself but by the grace of God I am what I am today and I thank, praise and glorify my lord for his Grace working in me to save me from the talons of deception. To God be the glory

2008/12/3 11:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy