SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "Sober-Mindedness Pressed Upon Youth" Matthew Henry sermon modernized and in installments

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

[i]from section 3...[/i]

Keep up a quick and constant sense of your manifold defects and infirmities, of how much there is in you, and how much is said and done by you every day. Keep in mind that which you have reason to be ashamed of, and humbled for, think of how many things you fall short in, and in how many more you come short of the rule. You will soon find no reason to be proud of what you know when you begin to see how much you are ignorant of, and you will see how ungood you are when you see how much you do amiss. Dwell much upon humbling considerations, and upon those that tend to take down your high opinion of yourselves. Keep up a humble sense of your necessary and constant dependance upon Christ and his grace, without which you are nothing, and will soon be worse than nothing.

The section on humility was so wonderful.

[i]You will soon find [b]no reason[/b] to be proud of what you know when you begin to see [b]how much you are ignorant of,[/b] and you will see how ungood you are when you see how much you do amiss.

...Constant dependence upon Christ and his grace...[/i]

2007/11/24 13:09
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The section on humility was so wonderful.

Yes, amen. This discourse is exceedingly rich and precious, and there's more profitable wisdom to be gleaned here than in 1,000 years of seminary school. But what I find the most strikingly amazing is that this wisdom Henry exhorts the youth with is almost the [i]exact antithesis[/i] of what is being taught today from the pulpit.

Kids today aren't exhorted with these same godly principles. They're rather told to have confidence in themselves and to seek experiences. If you or I were to earnestly preach these things from the pulpit, it wouldn't be very long before we got a call from an angry parent. I know this from experience. To exhort true godliness and pious wisdom from the pulpit these days is tantamount to being labeled legalistic and intolerantly wrong. It is to be accused of totally missing the mind of Christ and speading error. But this is the true wisdom of God! As preachers of the gospel of grace, how can we [i]not[/i] mince words and instruct otherwise? Like Micaiah, we must hold fast to the mindset of "as the Lord liveth, whatsoever the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak" (I Kings 22:14) - even if it means a slap in the face from a Zedekiah.

2007/11/24 13:31Profile

Re:

Brother Paul, is their any way you could put this in another format when you are finished so I could make a copy of it for my kids? Thanks.

2008/6/5 15:15

Re:

Quote:
I encourage you to inquire and think impartially, as the noble Bereans did, searching the scriptures daily to see whether those things which the apostles told them were true.

This is something that I try and impress upon the minds of my children each day. If they ask me a question I usually reply with "We'll what do you think?" Jesus always answered a question with a question. The Pharasees taught the young men of their day in the same way from what I have learned. They would have these debates like they had with Jesus and go back and forth until they came to the conclusion of the matter. That's why in scripture you see this kind of discourse between Jesus and the Pharasees. They wouldn't say "Your disciples are doing this!" They would say "WHY are your disciples doing this?" and Jesus would reply in the same manner, "I will tell you when you tell me_____" ect...

2008/6/5 15:40
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Professional Copies in Pamphlet Form

Quote:
Brother Paul, is their any way you could put this in another format when you are finished so I could make a copy of it for my kids?

Yes, sister. I am about half-way through with the message; it's been put on the proverbial backburner for now, but since you've expressed interest in it for your kids, I certainly intend to finish it this month. What format were you thinking of? Pdf?

Ideally, I'd like to print out a couple dozen copies in pamphlet form, and handle all expenses myself. Would you be willing to wait a month or so for them? :)

P.S. This goes for anyone else in the forum who would like a copy. I strongly believe this type of good, clean puritan material is ideal for youth pastors and parents alike.

Brother Paul

2008/6/5 17:30Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
Brother Paul, is their any way you could put this in another format when you are finished so I could make a copy of it for my kids?

Yes, sister. I am about half-way through with the message; it's been put on the proverbial backburner for now, but since you've expressed interest in it for your kids, I certainly intend to finish it this month. What format were you thinking of? Pdf?

Ideally, I'd like to print out a couple dozen copies in pamphlet form, and handle all expenses myself. Would you be willing to wait a month or so for them? :)

P.S. This goes for anyone else in the forum who would like a copy. I strongly believe this type of good, clean puritan material is ideal for youth pastors and parents alike.

Brother Paul

No hurry, take your time. Any format is fine. Thanks. :-)

2008/6/5 17:37
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re:

Amen. Thanks again for working on this brother Paul.

Quote:
Yes, amen. This discourse is exceedingly rich and precious, and there's more profitable wisdom to be gleaned here than in 1,000 years of seminary school. But what I find the most strikingly amazing is that this wisdom Henry exhorts the youth with is almost the exact antithesis of what is being taught today from the pulpit.

Kids today aren't exhorted with these same godly principles. They're rather told to have confidence in themselves and to seek experiences. If you or I were to earnestly preach these things from the pulpit, it wouldn't be very long before we got a call from an angry parent. I know this from experience. To exhort true godliness and pious wisdom from the pulpit these days is tantamount to being labeled legalistic and intolerantly wrong. It is to be accused of totally missing the mind of Christ and speading error. But this is the true wisdom of God! As preachers of the gospel of grace, how can we not mince words and instruct otherwise? Like Micaiah, we must hold fast to the mindset of "as the Lord liveth, whatsoever the Lord saith unto me, that will I speak" (I Kings 22:14) - even if it means a slap in the face from a Zedekiah.

2008/6/5 20:04Profile

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:

Brother Paul

I'm interested in obtaining some copies for people at my church... :-D

2008/6/5 21:17
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I'm interested in obtaining some copies for people at my church...

Maranatha Baptist is at the top of the list :) This sermon would also be great to read at a meeting and just interpolate as the Spirit leads. God can wonderfully use it to impact lives - if the reader is already living the sermon in his/her private life before God.

2008/6/5 22:28Profile

Re:

Quote:

Rebecca_LF wrote:
Quote:
I encourage you to inquire and think impartially, as the noble Bereans did, searching the scriptures daily to see whether those things which the apostles told them were true.

This is something that I try and impress upon the minds of my children each day. If they ask me a question I usually reply with "We'll what do you think?" Jesus always answered a question with a question. The Pharasees taught the young men of their day in the same way from what I have learned. They would have these debates like they had with Jesus and go back and forth until they came to the conclusion of the matter. That's why in scripture you see this kind of discourse between Jesus and the Pharasees. They wouldn't say "Your disciples are doing this!" They would say "WHY are your disciples doing this?" and Jesus would reply in the same manner, "I will tell you when you tell me_____" ect...

I had to edit the above. I meant to say "...answered a question with another question..." :-)

Amen, thanks for doing this.

2008/6/6 4:33

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy