SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Some Australian Women Breastfeeding Children to Age 7!!!!!!!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Some Australian Women Breastfeeding Children to Age 7!!!!!!!

Some Australian women are breastfeeding their children until they are 7-years-old, a new study has found.

Children enjoy the taste of the milk, the comfort it brings and the closeness to their mother, according to research about to be published from the University of Western Sydney.

Academic Karlene Gribble studied 107 women who breastfed their babies from age 2 to 7. Some were feeding up to a dozen times a day and one of the women was feeding three children at a time.

"Most women don't set out to feed this long but they enjoy it, especially when their children get old enough to express how much they love it," Gribble said.

She reports several thousand children at any one time are breastfed past the age of 2.

"My daughter is very articulate. 'Mummy, I'd like a breastfeed please'," one mother of a 3-year-old said. Another mother of a 3-year-old said her son would "climb on my lap, when sitting, lift up my shirt, pull down my bra and attach himself."

One mother who fed a 5-year-old said he fed upon waking in the morning, if he was sick or hungry, and sometimes had a "quick suck" at bedtime. For many children, breastfeeding was connected with sleep and comfort.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311824,00.html

2007/11/22 7:59

Re: Some Australian Women Breastfeeding Children to Age 7!!!!!!!

Chandras are you the new reporter for SI, I see nothing but "newsy" stuff coming from you. What has breast feeding got to do with this forum?

I am just curious.

2007/11/22 8:36

Re:

It may help somebody who knows, why not?

2007/11/22 8:49

Re:

As I said, I was simply curious. Thanks for the fast reply.

2007/11/22 8:50

Compliments and chandras,

To people who know about these things, this is hardly 'news'.

2007/11/22 8:52
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

chandras wrote:
It may help somebody who knows, why not?

I'm not trying to pressure you about anything, but I'm curious.... How would an article like this help someone?

I thought it was very interesting, so I'm not saying you shouldn't have posted it, but I'm not sure what you mean by it helping people. Do you think this could be an encouragement to women or something along those lines? If so, how?

:-D

2007/11/22 10:02Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I find this post somewhat amusing...

Know what it reminds me of? We have had a mama cat which had a litter of kits. They grew up, got bigger then her but there was one kit that still insisted on nursing. To our boys - they were much more vocal and adament in expressing their opinion about this - and us we thought this kit was crazy and the mother weird for allowing it. It was! Just visualize it!

Then there is the beef cow who still allows her half grown calf to nurse. Yeah, it happens, but in nature it is not the norm.

ginnyrose

2007/11/23 18:00Profile
theopenlife

Re:

It strikes me as "sensationalist".

Weird stuff. I wonder what long-term effects it has on the children, say, by age 20?

2007/11/23 19:34Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I wonder what long-term effects it has on the children, say, by age 20?

Might be appalled their mom tolerated anything like this! At least this is one possibility!

ginnyrose

2007/11/23 20:51Profile
theopenlife

Re:

My philosophy is, "old enough to speak, old enough to eat."

2007/11/23 22:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy