SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ron Luce, Teen Mainia Ministry, Any Testimonies

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Ron Luce, Teen Mainia Ministry, Any Testimonies

I have begun looking into the global mission trips that are sponsored by this ministry...

Does anyone have first hand testimonies of this ministry?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/11/18 21:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Ron Luce, Teen Mainia Ministry, Any Testimonies

Believe there are a couple of olders posts in this regard brother.

2007/11/18 21:41Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Believe there are a couple of olders posts in this regard brother.

Yes, there are. We did one awhile back on Luce's ATF (Acquire the Fire) and it resulted in a locked thread and someone being dismissed from the forum. These sorts of conversations tend to be volatile here, as the subject of music often comes into play.

Suffice to say that a youth group from my church went to an ATF meeting earlier this year and came back all fired up, wanting to be missionaries to Africa. They had a "sign-up booth" outside the stadium where kids were prompted to make some sort of commitment without parental consent, without prayer, without any kind of prior consultation, etc. The rally merely spunked their emotions with lights and smoke and pyrotechnical dazzlements with offensively loud hard rock songs for "praise and worship".

In a nutshell, the kids that had "signed-up" to follow Jesus to Africa went back to the world only few weeks later and to this day have no thrist at all for the things of God or righteousness. But they're looking forward to the next rally to see Skillet play again! It makes me angry, actually.

Is there any [i]lasting[/i] fruit at all from functions such as these? I don't know, I can say in all fairness that I've never seen any; apart from being a source of gross entertainment where youth group kids can rally around their favorite Christian super rock stars and hear an earnest message that unfortunately only succeeds in striking the temporal emotions (AKA the soul) of their pathos rather than provoking the spirit to life of holiness and meekness hid in Christ.

On the other hand, when a young person genuinely comes to Jesus Christ in repentance and lays his life on altar of God, these sorts of rallies eventually become obnoxious to him. This I [i]have[/i] seen. The kid eventually comes to actually hate the music and showmanship and idolization and hype and entertainment, as they are given the ability by God to see through it all. The blinders come off. They suddenly realize they do not need these lame functions; they discover that quiet time with the Word of God and the Holy Spirit is all they need.

Brother Paul

(edit) I just realized you were asking about Teen Mania, and I gave you info on Acquire the Fire instead. Please forgive me. I don't know anything about Teen Mania, only that I was in Lindale, Texas last week and passed by a big acreage lot that had a "Teen Mania" sign at the gates. The must have their headquarters out there, next to Wilkerson's World Challenge.

2007/11/18 22:36Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Brother Paul,

"Is there any lasting fruit at all from functions such as these? I don't know, I can say in all fairness that I've never seen any; apart from being a source of gross entertainment where youth group kids can rally around their favorite Christian super rock stars and hear an earnest message that unfortunately only succeeds in striking the temporal emotions (AKA the soul) of their pathos rather than provoking the spirit to life of holiness and meekness hid in Christ."

As I read this I kept saying within [i]'O God'[/i]. What things are being done in God's name today. And with these confused and hurting children.

O God.

2007/11/18 23:23Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
What things are being done in God's name today. And with these confused and hurting children.

Yes, dear brother. I believe these sorts of rallies do incredible damage. They basically undermine everything that I preach and teach the kids: to downplay feelings and sensations and experiences in Christianity and instead focus soley on God's Word and walking in faith and obedience without a dependance on visceral experiences. These sorts of events flourish on feelings, on emotional appeal, and if the music or bands were to suddenly be cut-off, ATF and like events would lose almost all their attendance overnight. They would go bankrupt. I always cringe when I hear of these rally things, and the fundraisers the youth do so they can afford the tickets to go.

The kids come back, wide-eyed and beaming with energy and excitement, temporarily stirred in their souls like a man on a cocaine high. "Hey, Paul, me and so-and-so signed up to go to Jamaica in the spring to help plant a church! We're gonna go! We're gonna go and put the devil in a headlock!" I sit there and politely smile and nod, knowing what happened at the rally, the sensational music, the heated exhortation, the firework displays, etc. Of course they come back enthused to change the world! Who wouldn't be! But I know this same dear child telling me he's going to "plant a church" is the same child who is still in bondage to his X-box and rebels against parental authority. He'll go back to his MySpace and video games in a few days when the high starts to wear off. And his heart ends up harder than it was before the pep-rally, and it will take even more lights and fire and music and explosions to get him riled up next time he goes. This stuff is like a soul-drug, and the kids gradually build up more of a tolerance each time. The day will come when they won't feel anything at all, and by then they'll probably be at the age of independance or on the eve of going off to college...and the rest is history as they say. The gradual disenchantment will at last reach its summit. You know the statistics.

I think these shows are very dangerous; they undermine the work of true gospel preaching and the fruit of holiness at the expense of exploiting the emotions of youth to tally up all the "decisions" for a kind of benchmark for success.

2007/11/18 23:52Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi Paul,

having seen this play out in my own life I know what you are talking about.

Question: What is you feelings on the 'passion tours', '265 generation' etc? I think the guys name is Loui Giglio or something like that. I know John Piper is attached to these guys.

2007/11/19 1:30Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Thankyou for your posts...I realized that I was not clear when asking about missions...I should have named the thread asking about the actual mission trips that kids have gone on. That part of the organization is called Global Expeditions.

I think I'll start over again with the new title.

Your brother in Christ
Jeff

2007/11/19 9:18Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Question: What is you feelings on the 'passion tours', '265 generation' etc? I think the guys name is Loui Giglio or something like that. I know John Piper is attached to these guys.

Hi ZekeO,

I've never heard of any of those guys. Being Piper is of the Calvinistic persuasion, and our youth group is of the Assemblies of God, our kids probably wouldn't have had any exposure to such organizations. Perhaps someone can answer your question better here in the forums, someone with experience.

Sorry I couldn't help,

Brother Paul

2007/11/19 17:04Profile

Re:

I was personally mentored by Ron Luce and can testify that he is one of the godliest men that I know. His heart is genuine, his passion and zeal is unmatched, and his efforts are tireless.

Though he may not agree with some of my ministry methods, and I may not agree with some of his ministry methods, we are still friends and can appreciate each other's ministries.

I worked for Global Expeditions for a year, for Teen Mania a total of 2 years, and my wife worked for Aquire the Fire for four years. We both greatly support Teen Mania Ministries. They are doing a wonderful job trying to save this generation from all of it's sin and wickedness. I HIGHLY recommend Ron's book "Battle Cry".

It's easy to find fault with any ministry. (People do it to me all the time). But it's better to look for the good in a ministry and find the things that we all agree on. And I can tell you that Teen Mania does A LOT of good.

Regarding Global Expeditions, they do street dramas and then street preaching. In the street preaching they usually give their testimony and a gospel call. And I know that Ron promotes the Way of the Master now to the missionaries as well.

2007/11/19 17:30
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I really hate to say anything negative at all. I know God will judge me after my words, and I have learnt somewhat to bridle my tongue. That being said, one can only speak what one observes; the product and wares of a system that is publically made known also warrants criticism from a godly perspective. I love Roman Catholics; I despise Roman Catholicism. I love Ron Luce in spirit and hold absolutely no animosity toward him (I've never met him), though I despise the system and philosophy he espouses to impact teens.

Now, I would love to talk about the good fruit -- and I'm sure there is some fruit to mention -- but, unfortunately, getting through such a tough peel can be quite the deterrant. It reminds me of eating crab; I love crabmeat, but the work involved to extract such a tiny portion of meat can be a persuading (or dissuading) factor when deciding what to order on a menu...especially if I am hungry.

I find there's alot of shell to go through with things like ATF, too much shell for the amount of meat you get, and I don't believe there should be any shell at all when it comes to godly ministry.

Youth should be served shell-less meat.

Brother Paul

2007/11/19 19:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy