SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tithing-In the New Testament Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread

Re:

What the law could not do grace did more abound. It is not about the money. It is about the heart. Do we trust HIM?
Matt 23:23 is not Old Testament. Again it is a matter of the heart. Every man should give as he has purposed in his heart. How is our heart? There is a song that says.

You can't beat God's giving no matter how you try.
The more you give, the more HE gives back to you.
You just can't beat God's giving, no matter how you try.

Again it is not about the money or the amount. It is about the heart. Eveytthing we have belongs to HIM, includiing the last breath we just took. we are only stewards and are just using it. This is true for the greatest lost sinner on earth. What he has God has allowed him to have it.

Does HE do things that are supernatural? WHEN HE SAVED US, THIS IS A NEW BIRTH, A SUPERNATURAL ACT OF THE SPIRIT.

When we give for HIS purpose and HIS glory we are released from responsibility of what is done with the money. The authorities in the local body are then responsible for what they do with is brought into the storehouse. WE should seek to be involved in a church body that sows into good ground, but still yet, the giver is released after he gives for God's glory and HIS purpose.

This is not natural thinking. Natural thinking is the way the world thinks.

2007/11/18 10:41
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

I just got paid. It's my first paycheck since becoming a true Christian. (And not believing I was already one because I said a "sinner's prayer" 24 years ago, but my heart didn't experience regeneration.)

I used to tithe, blindly, because I was told/expected to. I had fallen prey to the Word of Faith movement, so naturally it was greatly encouraged/demanded and checked-up on. :::shudder:::

I've been praying and studying about this. I'm tired of being deceived so I sought God instead of relying on man's opinions and doctrines. (I've been following the "ask God first" method, seeking first [i]His[/i] kingdom and [i]His[u] righteousness.[/u][/i]

In the New Testament, Paul says that Christians should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2). He says it should be an amount “in keeping with his income.” Great! The issue of giving is settled. Christians should give to the church. How plain and simple is that?

Ok, How much? There is no percentage guideline like the law of the Old Testament. I need wisdom and guidance then. With the Word and the Holy Spirit as my FIRST resource, instead of asking the opinions of men, I prayed.

James 1:5 says that every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom. This includes seeking Him about our giving. If we don't ask for His wisdom on how we should give, we won't receive wisdom on how to give. The Bible is full of assurances that when we ask, we will receive. So, I asked Him for wisdom in giving.

James 2 comes along as a reminder to check our motives for asking. If someone is asking in order to find justification to not "have to" tithe/give, they're asking with a wrong motive. I sincerely want to glorify God with my giving so I asked, I believe, with a right motive.

Then I read the following verse and felt a true release from the question of giving/tithing.

“Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

No more law! No more legalism! We're free! Free to give whatever is in our hearts to give! Free to give according to our motives and attitude! I asked and I received, just like the Bible said!

Makes me wonder if we maybe complicate some issues more than they need to be?

2008/1/17 18:12Profile
Billy7

Re:

Hi Keith,

That was a beautiful example of a Christian being taught by the Spirit how to live by faith.

"But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him" (1 Jn. 2: 27).

"...the just shall live by faith" (Gal. 3: 11).

Thanks for the testimony.

2008/1/18 21:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
've been praying and studying about this. I'm tired of being deceived so I sought God instead of relying on man's opinions and doctrines. (I've been following the "ask God first" method, seeking first His kingdom and His righteousness.

Amen to that...I am in the same position, tired of being deceived and making you feel guilty about tithing. We have always tithed, but mostly because I was told too, I was told it is in the bible and so on. I found for myself that I was tired about paying the "bills" at the church and large salaries. Is the tithe actually to support the mortgage, the new building addition, the knew sound system and so on and so on. Not being critical or angry but this is what I have been going through. I want to support the church, I want to give whole heartily. I want to know for MYSELF, not what some pastor says or what the mega-tron screen says during the offering.

Thanks Kieth for your testimony...it encouraged me today to know that God will answer my plea in the matter of tithing.

To be faithful and obedient
Mike

2008/1/19 8:10
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:
Amen to that...I am in the same position, tired of being deceived and making you feel guilty about tithing. We have always tithed, but mostly because I was told too, I was told it is in the bible and so on. I found for myself that I was tired about paying the "bills" at the church and large salaries. Is the tithe actually to support the mortgage, the new building addition, the knew sound system and so on and so on. Not being critical or angry but this is what I have been going through. I want to support the church, I want to give whole heartily. I want to know for MYSELF, not what some pastor says or what the mega-tron screen says during the offering.

Thanks Kieth for your testimony...it encouraged me today to know that God will answer my plea in the matter of tithing.

To be faithful and obedient
Mike

If you'll allow me to share it, I'm finding that there's an added benefit to seeking God [i]first[/i] with my questions. A benefit that's even greater than getting the answer to the question!

After so many years of being deceived by men and women, both preachers and teachers, and then coming to the Truth about salvation, I had an important decision to make - blindly follow and trust people again (which I would rather go completely cold than be that kind of lukewarm again!) or I would actually live what I professed to believe - that the Word of God is true and that He's not a respecter of persons and the Holy Spirit will teach and guide me as he did our great Bible teachers of the past.

I girded myself with scriptures of how God loves [i]me[/i]! How He cares about the things that concern [i]me[/i]! About how He has a plan for [i]me[/i]! For [i]me[/i], not just mankind [i]in general.[/i] I believed these scriptures and settled the fact right then and there to seek Him [b]first[/b] and His [b]righteousness[/b]. Then, and only then, when it's needed, to seek the counsel of Godly men. By taking our questions and running to others first (friends, forum members, preachers, Bible teachers, etc.,) they become idols in our lives. An idol is anything that comes before God in our lives. So, that basically puts everything on God's shoulders to answer me when I seek Him about [i]anything and everything[/i], doesn't it?

Once I realized this, I almost thought I heard a physical voice from Above sigh and say, "Finally! He gets it! And it only took 24 years!" (That's how long ago I said that silly "sinner's prayer" and thought I was saved!)

So, what's that added benefit I mentioned? Peace. Silly, wonderful, glorious, tear-worthy, praise-shouting, comforting peace! Knowing that I got my answer from God and not people. No more, "Brother so-and-so makes a good point, so that must be true. But, then again, Sister what's-her-name makes sense when she said that other thing. They both can't be right! How am I supposed to know and decide?! I just want to do what's right!!! Why does this have to be so hard?????" Confusion, irritation, anger, bitterness, fear - they're gone. These things aren't from God in the first place, which should have been my BIG CLUE that I was not on the right path to begin with. But, I put up with it because I was too lazy and/or ignorant to seek God first, for myself. It's what He's been wanting from all of us all along!

The problem is, people want to be in control. They want to be right. They want to be well thought of. They want to be liked and respected by others. Stubbornness, rebelliousness and pride. Frankly, now that I've had a taste of His peace from seeking Him first, I have no energy to put into these things anymore. They wore me out anyway! You have to work too hard to keep up the kingdom you built for yourself.

I find that many (not all) people who argue either side of tithing are only trying to justify their own views on the subject. Many who are tithing do so in compulsion and fear "just in case" its the right thing to do and they don't want to be wrong about it so they just do it. Many who don't tithe don't want to give [i]anything[/i] anyway, so they're trying to justify keeping "their money" for themselves. The problem with both of these viewpoints, along with pride and stubbornness, is the motive. God is a God of motives.

So, I'm just me. I gave up the arguments and fear and rationalizations to unashamedly need, seek, and cling to a God who wants to guide me down His perfect path. I'm like a kid whose dad is taking him to Disney World. He said we're going so I know we'll get there! We may get a few flat tires, need a few mechanical repairs, give someone else a ride, and need to stop and rest along the way. But I trust him because he's my dad. We'll get there! It's the same with The Father. He says in His Word that He's prepared an amazing place where we'll always be together and never be apart again! Great, that's settled then! I trust Him so I'm going to just let Him drive.

As far as tithing goes, the New Testament says we should give to help support the church. To give in a manner that's commensurate with our income. And to do so cheerfully and willingly. I'll do my part and I'll do it with joy because I sought God's advice first and have peace about it! I'm not in control of how anyone spends the money God tells me to give them. Each of us is accountable to God for our own obedience and stewardship.

2008/1/20 15:22Profile
Billy7

Re:

Thanks, Keith. Once again, I was blessed by your post. This is exactly what God has been dealing with me about in my walk with Him--Seek Him for His will and obey what He shows me. What else can it mean to "walk by faith" than this?

What if the sole goal of every leader in the church was to teach believers to love, trust, hear, and obey God for themselves, as opposed to teaching them to "submit" to a man or the teaching of a man? I bet the church would be a lot further along towards God's goal of "equipping of the saints for the work of ministry" (Eph. 4:12).

2008/1/20 16:04Profile

Re:

This is what the massage was on today. I believe it is a privelage to be able to give to the Lords work. If you'll study tithing in the bible you'll see that it goes back way before Moses, so it's alweays been a part of our worship. The first murder was over tithing. God loves a cheerful giver.
My pastor is also the chaplain at our mission center and out of all the people that come through, over all the years he's been there, only one person ever said they tithed. That kind of shows you a little about how God takes care of people that tithe. All the people that come through those doors are in great financial need and that's usually first on the prayer list.

2008/1/20 16:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy