SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Christians & War?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Scroll down this thread and in one of my posts I have a link to a CD series entitled, "Christian Controversies". Look at the one entitled, "Patriots vs. Tories". It is well worth your time. I think you will find there was a lot more to the American War for Independence.

Also, if you'd like some of the documents that influenced our Founders try this link:
[url=http://puritanism.online.fr/pol_thought.html]Documents[/url]
Scroll down to Roman numeral two.

Enjoy!
Matthew

2004/6/7 18:53Profile
revival9

Arizona, USA

Re: Christians & War?

www.scrollpublishing.com

The early Christians did not participate in war or killing of any kind. "Love your enemies; pray for those who persecute you." They lived the Sermon on the Mount literally.

2004/6/16 2:28Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

I'm thinking we should start to prepare ourselves for what is ahead. All is as it should be in terms of the state of affairs. As for our inability to come to terms with the church being dead I think that may have to do with our rebelious nature, being unable to accept the inevitable if you will. Basically I say that we should all ask God 1 thing every day, "God what do you want me to do today?" if we spend our time doing His will there won't be time to concern ourselves with things that we have little or no influence over. The church is dead, but you and I still have work to do, we need to ask God what it is and do it.

2004/7/1 10:19Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Quote:
Basically I say that we should all ask God 1 thing every day, "God what do you want me to do today?"

Actually it is wise to ask God, "Lord, What are [b]you[/b] doing so that I may follow you?"
But He answered them, "My Father is working until now, and I Myself am working." (John 5:17)
It is a subtle but important difference.

2004/7/1 11:34Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Matthew 2323,

I found this on another Christian website. These quotes are in reference to your postings on the founding fathers.

Thomas Jefferson:

I have examined all the known superstitions of the world, and I do not find in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth.
SIX HISTORIC AMERICANS,
by John E. Remsburg, letter to William Short

Jefferson again:

Christianity...(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on man. ...Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus.

More Jefferson:

The clergy converted the simple teachings of Jesus into an engine for enslaving mankind and adulterated by artificial constructions into a contrivance to filch wealth and power to themselves...these clergy, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Christ.

Jefferson's word for the Bible?

Dunghill.

John Adams:

Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?

Also Adams:

The doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 states:
The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.

Here's Thomas Paine:

I would not dare to so dishonor my Creator God by attaching His name to that book (the Bible).

Among the most detestable villains in history, you could not find one worse than Moses. Here is an order, attributed to 'God' to butcher the boys, to massacre the mothers and to debauch and rape the daughters. I would not dare so dishonor my Creator's name by (attaching) it to this filthy book (the Bible).

It is the duty of every true Deist to vindicate the moral justice of God against the evils of the Bible.

Accustom a people to believe that priests and clergy can forgive sins...and you will have sins in abundance.

The Christian church has set up a religion of pomp and revenue in pretended imitation of a person (Jesus) who lived a life of poverty.

Finally let's hear from James Madison:

What influence in fact have Christian ecclesiastical establishments had on civil society? In many instances they have been upholding the thrones of political tyranny. In no instance have they been seen as the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wished to subvert the public liberty have found in the clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate liberty, does not need the clergy.

Madison objected to state-supported chaplains in Congress and to the exemption of churches from taxation. He wrote:

Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.

What is the truth? Are we blinded by our desires to belong to something in addition to Christ?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/7/1 12:12Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re:

Would you mind posting a link to this web page, please? Thanks!

"Let a general reformation of manners take place--let universal charity, public spirit, and private virtue be inculcated, encouraged, and practiced. Unite in preparing for a vigorous defense of your country, as if all depended upon your exertions. And when you have done all things, then rely upon the good providence of Almighty God for success, in full confidence that without His blessings, all our efforts will inevitably fail." - John Jay, 1776

2004/7/1 12:32Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

what is the significance of this difference? I'd always thought that God is always working but my role my change from day to day and so I'd have to get my instructions afresh for each day. And what of times when God is doing work that does not need my involvement? I can't thrust myself into what He is doing but I must see what He wants me to do shouldn't I?

2004/7/1 15:32Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

The way of God

Hello

I think Farai brings a good point to the table. Consider the following passage- Acts16:6 They passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia; 7 and after they came to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them;

This is truly an example of intimacy with God! Paul had set out on a mission to spread the word of God among the gentiles. Had he been acting of his own accord he would have no doubt entered Asia and Bithynia in his zeal. It is easy to think that our zeal is in line with the will of God especially when it is to do with matters pertaining to the church and the spreading of the word. I think it was Mr. Reidhead who said, “God’s things are to be done God’s way and in God’s time”. In his sermon, “God’s work to be done God’s way” we are exhorted to seek the will of God: From 2 Samuel 6. Although God may honor the world's efforts, his people must only do things the way he has required -- David learned this when he tried to move the ark as the Philistines had, costing Uzzah his life. The Church must never employ the world's methods, for God will only bless the obedience of his people.

James

2004/7/1 19:48Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: A Church Near You?

Jeff,

Quote:
I have visited 8 churches in 12 weeks, and this is what I have experienced. A brother on this site has given me a church to check out but that is over 80 miles away.

Are you near Escondido? Here is a church there you may want to try, if possible, [url=http://www.efcc.org/main.asp]Emmanuel Faith Community Church[/url]. We heard the pastor preach at the family camp we attended last year. (We are going again in a couple of weeks and he will be there again.) The Lord spoke to our family through this man! We also met a family in his congregation at this camp and they were very solid.

Please let me know if you are able to go.

God bless,
Matthew

PS Farai/James, let's try a new thread. Perhaps some others will chime in in regards to hearing from God and doing His will.

2004/7/2 10:26Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Thankyou Brother Matt,

I checked the address, the church is about 176 miles away. Please do not forget me in my search.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/7/2 12:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy