SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Did you attend church today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
PJ

Did you attend church today?

Just wondering if you went to church today? If so...
What kind?
How many attend on a typical Sunday?
Did you go out of duty or desire?
Were you challenged?
Was anyone saved?
Do you serve in any capacity?
What is the worship style?
Are most of the people in you church serious about the things of God?
Do you feel that your church is moving in or out of the right direction?

If you did not attend church today...Why?

Just Curious
PJ

2003/8/3 14:25Profile
PJ

Re: Did you attend church todya?

Yes I attended church today?
I attend and Assemblies of God Church.
We have about 700 people on a typical Sunday morning. This is between two morning services.
I am the full time children's pastor at this church so Sunday is typically more of a work day for me than a day of rest. Most of the time I attend out of duty. As a full time staff member I have forgotten what it feels like just to attend because I want to.
Our church has a very good blend of old hymms and choruses as well as new material.
I work for a Pastor who loves the Lord and is not afraid to preach the word. However I rarely get to hear him preach (I am responsible for children's services during all worship services).
He will preach the uncompromised word of God,however I don't think repentance is often preached as a condition of salvation. Most of our conversions are the typical modern day conversions. It's nothing for people to "get saved" and continue living in fornication or any other old sin.
We do have a lot of good Christian people in our church, but few who have fire shut up in their bones. Today I heard alot about golf in the halls and very little about the Lord or the things of God.
We are a growing church butit's more out of transfer vs. new converts. It's one of the better churches that I have ever been a part of, yet I think were are not very purpose driven.

2003/8/3 14:49Profile
mikesaad

My wife kids and I attended church today. We attend a non-denominational church about an hour northeast of Detroit. We typically have around 100 people for a Sunday service.

I lead worship this morning as I am in a rotation with a few other worship leaders as well. My wife and I are singles group leaders at the church as well so much of our time after service is taken up with talking with the singles in our group.

I attended church this morning and was challenged by the message that our Pastor gave "Having Singleness of Heart". No one was saved as a result of the message today as it was more of an exhortation to believers to stay focused on Christ.

2003/8/3 15:23Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

O.K., I'll bite.
Confession time.
No, I didn't go...
Why?
Torn, debated whether it was better to stay at home with my wife (who has been dealing with her own struggles, stomach problems, spiritual)
or just go ahead and go, which would you have me do Lord? Was my question this morning.....Unsure, so I opted to stay home, watched Charles Stanley and Adrian Rogers, both of whom were excellent by the way.
Kind of a long story but our particular church is now in search of a new pastor, transition time. Mens bible study on Thurs. (missed that as well this week, 'felt' that I just needed to stay home and pray)....So, our church is alright, have been there about a year now, kind of laid back, but loving.....worship is a mix of traditional and contemporary...non-denominational.....theology; along side the Cambelitites, New Testament Church/ Acts paridigm minus the more Charismatic elements (Raised hands are about as far as expressions ago and maybe a few 'Amen's")
I do believe changes are in store though from some of the sense I can gather in regards to becoming a praying church, which I hope it becomes! Don't really know enough to even venture a guess where people are spiritually....I have seen an incredible amount of love, serving and caring and have been a reciepent of such myself, I can only hope to come along side and do the same.

Seems to me that right now is a time of purging, it's almost as if you could smell the rotting of flesh (mine!)and I would be glad for it to be done with even though I realize the necessity.
It has the elements of a satanic attack, confusion, doubt, depression, the usual darts...
A muddy mixture of the big 3, the world, the flesh and the devil.
Whatever it may be, I can only pray that it does it's full work, consumes it ALL! I long to escape this body of death, this rebelious nature, this dual nature, this DISOBEDIENCE!
Death to self, self will, self rule, self seeking.
Your will, Your words, Your thoughts, Oh Lord!
Replacement theology, that's what I need, mine for Your's, Oh God.
S.O.S. ....... [b]Sick Of Sin[/b] .....

Whew! Feel better already :lol: !!
Not really looking for a 'word' to lift my spirits or to try an amass some sympathy, hopefully the Lord will turn up the furnace 7 times hotter and burn it all.

So how's your day, PJ ? ! :-D :-D :-D
Seriously, in response to the questions you asked, how would you respond to them? Would love to hear!

Didn't mean to spill my gut's out all over the place, it's kind of messy that way...But you asked!
:-P

P.S. As I went to post this I noticed you had already responded, so I am adding this edit, will be praying for you and your church!

_/crsschk\_

2003/8/3 15:49Profile
laholmes

Re:

I attended church today in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It is about on hour north of Tulsa, about 15 minutes from Kansas. I am the summer interim youth pastor and today was my second to last sunday before I go back to Edmond (OKC) to school. I do not have a job to go back to, so prayer would be appreciated.

It is a southern baptist church. This mornings message was about prayer. It was awesome. There was about 250 there in the service. No one was saved but some people joined, which in a Baptist church is just as good. (Ha Ha) It is contemporary/blended with a leaning toward contemporary.

The church is moving in the right direction. It is a small community and the people there are great. However, the best people in our churches are still not very good, in my opinion.

2003/8/3 15:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Did you attend church today?

What kind?
ITs Peoples Church in Toronto, Canada. www.thepeopleschurch.ca
Non-Denominational, I think (but very close ties with the Missionary Alliance)

How many attend on a typical Sunday?
There are 3 services, 2 in the morning one at night. the morning service at 9:15 is not televised so I like that one better! :P

Did you go out of duty or desire?
desire! Its about 45mins to 1 hour by transit, its a journey but I am enjoying going.

Were you challenged?
Yes! There are alot of great old saints in that church, the sermon was about end-times theology but it did challange me to seek more after Jesus and his coming and to [b]life holy!!!![/b] in respect to his coming back.

Was anyone saved?
There is a call to people who want to go after the service to the room for prayer. but its not a showy thing and I am not sure if people were saved?

Do you serve in any capacity?
I usually go to Knox Presbyterian Church where I am a full-time member, but I have been going to Peoples Church quite abit recently. The pastor at People church: [url=http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=140]Charles Price[/url] is an awesome expostitor and is a man full of the spirit of God! I love his humble teachings and passion for God. he spoke at the Keswick 2003 this year, check out the archives while they are still up at: [url=http://www.premier.org.uk/keswicklibrary.html]premier.org,uk[/url] (they are 5 great messages on hebrews! its a must listen to!)

What is the worship style?
Its pretty good, kinda more contempary they try to mix in a few hymns sometimes. I wish they would still sing more hymns but overall its a good vibrant worship, not like people dancing or hands raised that much, but still vibrant! :)

Are most of the people in you church serious about the things of God?
Well it seems alot of the church are really serious with God and where under the teachings of [url=http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=9]Oswald J. Smith[/url] who originally started the church. Its a very missions minded church!

Do you feel that your church is moving in or out of the right direction?
Well Peoples church I think is doing great! but my home church Knox Presbyterian I believe needs a revival amongst many of the members of the church. The church is right downtown and could be used mightly of God, [url=http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=13]J. Glyn Owen[/url] used to preach there in the 60's and 70's and the church was spiritually in alot better shape then.

2003/8/3 16:23Profile

Yes, I attended Church today. I did not attend my home church today, instead I visited a large non-denominational church known as "The Peoples Church" in Toronto.

Since it has only been my second visit so I'm taking a rough estimate that 250 - 500 on average attend per service. They have 3 services, 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. I've only been to the morning services.

I attended because I felt called to go and I also out of desire. I like the congregation but I do not attend regularily because of its location.

The worship style is generally contemporary with a mixture or traditional hymns so its got a good balence of both.

I was challenged by the sermon: [i]"The Second Coming of Christ."[/i] The pastor gave a very general overview of the major millenial views. It was like an extact repeat of a particular lecture in my Intro to Christian Theology course.

This is a general assumption because I don't know the congregation very well but I would say that it seems be serious about the things of God. I was very impressed with their Global Missions programs for they have a good budget from people who really want to support missions and the fact that they do a really good job of personalizing missions.

- William

2003/8/3 16:33
John316

Re:

Everyone please note before reading this that I am not "anti-church" or "anti-church building." Just wanted to share what's on my heart.

Crsschck, continue to seek the Lord and His heart. Do not worry what "older" more "mature" Christians might tell you -- your church attendance, or whatever, is not what God is after -- He's after you.

On the issue of "church" I was discussing the other day as to why Paul and Peter and the rest of the apostles did not build churches, but rather, met in people's homes. I believe it is because the disciples were exiting Judaism -- realizing that the "God who created all life...does not dwell in buildings made with hands." (Acts) So, to get away from the "traditional" way of thinking that a building labeled "temple" or "church" is a "house of God" they opted to meet in homes. I also know that persecution had much to do with this -- but my point is I think we are missing it when we feel we have to meet in buildings... This has never been God's intent. He wants us to fellowship, yes -- but if that fellowship is taking the place of our fellowship with Him, or at least, not drawing us into deeper fellowship with Him, it is fruitless. Lord, give us ears to hear.

I consider Times Square Church my home church although I am never able to attend since it's in NYC. I get the messages online. I fellowship with LIKE-MINDED Believers as much as possible, but those are often hard to find. As 1 John chapter 1 says, "indeed, our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son."

On the issue of you feeling led to stay at home and pray -- I believe this could possibly be the Lord speaking to your heart. It's amazing, because most believe one must be plugged into a church in order to become grounded. But, I believe that because of the condition of the professing Church today, one must become grounded BEFORE searching for a church so that they can rightly divide what is preached. Granted, Godly fellowship IS indeed important -- we learn from each other -- but how much fellowshipping at church is truly Godly, these days??

For those who have wonderful, Godly churches to attend, praise the Lord! Continue to seek Him with the rest of your congregation! For those that do not, do not come under condemnation. Trust the Lord, He is faithful and able to keep you wherever you are and whatever you do.

2003/8/3 16:37Profile
pfox

Toledo, OH

Re:

Paris Reidhead's messages "The Hidden Things of God" are in the same vein as your post, john316 (go to the downloads section of this site). I would encourage those who question this post to listen to them - and escpecially, you, crsschk (you will be blessed). Reidhead makes the point very clear that man's way is to have something that can be seen, while God's way has always been and will always be a hidden people. A word of warning, do not listen to these messages if you are not willing to honestly evaluate everything that you have held to be "Christianity."

If we walk in the light as He is in the light we have fellowship one with another and the blood of Christ cleanses us from all unrighteousness.

2003/8/3 17:19Profile
PJ

I was not completely fair to my church in my first post. The more I thought about it the more I realized that we do have a handful of people who are serious about the things of God. We have one lady who coordinates an all night prayer meeting once a month. She has a handful of women who attend. I also have some members on my children's ministry team who give and give of their time. The do this because the have an eternal perspective and are serious about the things of God.
I hope my comment about repentance not being preached did to seem as a slam to my pastor. As I said he preaches the uncompromised word of God. However not everyone is from the school of repentance. The only reason I see the importance of this aspect of salvation is because of my reading of Ravenhill and the likes of him. Also Ray Comfort has added to this strong conviction. My church is far from perfect, but overall it is a good solid church with alot of good solid people.

2003/8/3 17:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy