SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Questions about Regeneration: And am i regenerate?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Questions about Regeneration: And am i regenerate?

To me personally conscience is interchangeable with countenance and The Lord God said it best. (Genesis 4: 7; If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. I have the same struggle with sin as you do and I feel unworthy, but grace truly is amazing.

Forgiveness of sin is one of the elements of justification. In pardoning sin, God absolves the sinner from the condemnation of the law, and that on account of the work of Christ, i.e., he removes the guilt of sin, or the sinner's actual liability to eternal wrath on account of it. All sins are forgiven freely (Acts 5:31; 13:38; 1 John 1:6-9). The sinner is by this act of grace for ever freed from the guilt and penalty of his sins. This is the peculiar privilege of God (Ps. 130:4; Mark 2:5). It is offered to all in the gospel.

A "conscience void of offence" is to be sought and cultivated (Acts 24:16; Rom. 9:1; 2 Cor. 1:12; 1 Tim. 1:5, 19; 1 Pet. 3:21).

2007/11/15 18:05Profile

Re: Questions about Regeneration: And am i regenerate?

Quote:

Here4Him wrote:
I am reading a quite sobering treatise by Edwards called 'The experience that counts' where he describes characteristics of true and false conversions and converts.

It has raised the absolute neccesity of being born again or regenerated or created a new by God according to His will. I understand that this can only be given by God and of course without it no matter what one may profess he is not saved, not a Christian.

Edwards says that a man may have many counterfeit spiritual emotions, i.e. a type of conviction of sin, a love for and joy in Christ and the gospel and yet not possess these in the true sincere way.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS BECAUSE YOU EITHER HAVE A CONVICTION OF SIN, A LOVE FOR AND JOY IN CHRIST OR YOU DON'T. THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW THIS IS BY THE FRUIT AND I'M NOT SPEAKING OF WORKS BECAUSE BY THE WORKS OF THE FLESH CAN NO MAN BE JUSTIFIED. BY THIS I MEAN THAT THIS PERSON IS WALKING AFTER THE SPIRIT. THERE IS NO CONDEMNSTION IF YOU ARE WALKING AFTER THE SPIRIT. REPENT OF ANY KNOWN SIN AND KEEP WALKING.

Romans 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

For example he says that a conviction of sin and a love of the gospel and Christ can arise from only self love- i.e. we love Christ simply because He has saved our bacon, and not also for who He is in Himself. He says that this is not the true spiritual love for Christ that God gives.

NOT TRUE:
WE LOVE HIM BECAUSE HE FIRST LOVED US.

1 John 4:19
We love him, because he first loved us.

Quite honestly my friends because of a particular besetting sin i have been struggling with during this year and at times just giving into i am scared that i am not regenerate at all and have not the Spirit, that i am one of those who have a form of godliness but without its power.

IF YOU ARE WALKING AFTER THE SPIRIT THERE IS NO CONDEMNATION TO YOU, REPENT AND KEEP WALKING.

Throughout several years as i look back on my life i have read and studied the Bible until its nearly all yellow and blue with notes in all the margins, i have poured over it, wept over it, cried and prayed over it, i have longed for and prayed to be more holy and grieved that i am not, i have at times been overcome with what seemed like love and gratitude toward Christ and longed to be taken up with Him, i have been more zealous in witnessing than almost anyone i personally know, and longed to see His kingdome come and sinners brought to Him (or so i thought), i have preached the gospel many times and pleaded for sinners to repent and trust Christ, i have known something of a sensetivity towards sin and a measure of hatred towards it, but am wondering if despite all this because of where i am now i have somehow been terribly deceieved.

THE ONLY DECEPTION IS BELIEVING THE LIE THE DEVIL HAS TOLD YOU THAT IT'S YOUR WORKS AND NOT HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS.

This is because if i look at my life now and its fruit, i have to concede it seems far from Christ-like, and is on the contrary filled with the works of the flesh, though for some years they seemed to had been largely overcome, they have risen back up to even greater proportions, although it is not all manner of sins of the flesh but a close grouping of sins that nearly always come together.

THE BIBLE CLEARLY SAYS WE ARE NOT TO JUDGE OURSELVES.

1 Corinthians 4:3
But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgment: yea, I judge not mine own self.

What does one do in this situation, does one seek the Lord for forgiveness and plead the blood and believe in the mercy of God again, and trust that through Christ and His atoning work he is forgiven, then proceeding to add to that faith virtue and discipline and self control etc,

YES!!!!

or should he instead cry out to God for salvation, for a new heart, for power, for the SPirit, and not give up until he knows God has come into him in power? I dont know?

NOT USLESS YOU ARE NOT SURE YOU HAVE BEEN SAVED BUT IT APPEARS YOU ARE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO PLEASE HIM AND YOU SEEM TO BE WALKING AFTER THE SPIRIT BY WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE PRAY ABOUT IT BUT DON'T KEEP LOOKING BACK AND ALLOWING THE DEVIL TO CAUSE YOU TO PUT FAITH BACK IN YOUR OWN WORKS.

AT what point does a Christian struggling with sin and on many occasions giving into it, his heart becomeing more and more hardened to it, realise that perhaps he is not just a weak, backslidden Christian but not a Christian at all?

YOU CAN'T JUDGE YOURSELF OR MEASURE YOURSELF BY YOURSELF OR BY THE LIFE OF OTHERS, PRAY AND SEEK GOD ON THE MATTER PUT YOUR FAITH AND TRUST IN HIM AND KEEP WALKING AFTER THE SPIRIT.

If you have some thoughts on this i would greatly appreciate them, thanks

2007/11/15 20:33
Here4Him

England

Re:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and give counsel.

I wonder if i had begun to overemphasize regeneration and believe that regeneration is something which it is not (i.e. the removal of serious crippling of our fleshly desires). I guess i was wanting God to have removed the old nature entirely from me, and was getting discouraged by its rising up. And its funny how when you start to serisouly doubt your salvation you can start to live like an unsaved person.

I was encouraged today by a Piper message on the flesh and the SPirit. We have to keep making war against those fleshly desires through the Spirit, trusting in the promises of God. I will endeavour to get back into the mindset of a Christian fighting against sinful desires in the Spirits power and with His weapons, and believing that having been justified by faith, i have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thank you brethren. We must all press on and fight the fight of faith, looking unto Jesus. May God bless you all as you go about it

2007/11/17 12:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy