SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tongues Have Ceased?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Tongues Have Ceased?

I'm not posting this to stir up a debate on tongues, I'm simply asking a question.

On another forum I saw people saying that speaking in tongues isn't for today and they used the following verse to back it up.

1 Cor. 13:8 "Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away."

Is this verse saying that tongues aren't for today?

Jordan

2007/11/13 15:18Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Tongues Have Ceased?

1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

they will pass away when the above verse takes place, or so i read my bible

2007/11/13 15:24Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Tongues Have Ceased?

Quote:

On another forum I saw people saying that speaking in tongues isn't for today and they used the following verse to back it up.

1 Cor. 13:8 "Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away."

Is this verse saying that tongues aren't for today?

Jordan

It always scares me when people start assuming things in the Bible. Does the Bible read this way? Yes. BUT, it does not read when this will cease. To assume that the giftings, or specifically tongues, are not for today is to "assume" that you know that day, time and the hour of the happenings in the Bible. Man does not.

Also, if one takes the full verse and assumes that tongues are not for today, you would have to assume that knowledge is not for today either. It seems that in the other forum, this may be the case though ;-)

Also, I usually find that people who don't believe in the giftings, are usually the people or that don't want or haven't been a part of the giftings. I believe and walk in such.

Christiaan

2007/11/13 15:47Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Jordan, if this means that tongues have ceased, then knowledge has also ceased. Are these people also advocating that there is no longer anything to know? absurd I say! This is incredibly poor exegesis. Besides, v.12 tells when all this will happen "for now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face." Tongues will cease when we are face to face with Him, our Creator, Redeemer, and Friend!

2007/11/13 16:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy