Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Atonement

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Griffo

Atonement

In 1 Peter 2:24 it says:

[color=0033FF] He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness.[/color]

How narrowly should this be interpreted? Did Jesus only bear our sins in his body or did he also bear them in his soul and in his spirit? The narrow view does not seem to carry the force of Paul's statment in 1 Cor 5:21 that

[color=0033FF] For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. [/color]

I feel it is important because it goes to heart of Jesus' nature and the nature of his sufferings.

The reason why it has come to mind recently is because I was reading the Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee in which he compares the tripartite nature of man (spirit, soul and body) to the temple (Holy of Holies, Holy Place and Outer Courts). In relation to the Outer Courts he writes:

[color=0033FF] Here [i.e. in the Outer Courts] God's Son serves as a substitute and dies for mankind

If I understand him correctly, he is saying that Jesus bore our sin only in His body. [/color]

2007/11/13 12:52Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy