SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Biblical Worship, what is it?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dougkristen

Biblical Worship, what is it?

[size=large][color=3300CC][font=Helvetica]Biblical Worship, what is it?[/font][/color][/size]

This is a broad topic, but I would like to discuss the topic of Biblical Worship in the church. This topic can go down many differnet paths, but I want to try and keep it focused. How can we know in scripture what true Biblical worship is supposed to look like in the church, and if so, have we strayed from the path of truth? Why are there so many forms of worship in the church? Are they all right, some wrong?

Let's discuss...

Grace,
Doug

2004/5/25 14:06Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Biblical Worship, what is it?

Just a start...
Abraham is the first 'biblical worshipper'.
And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground, (Gen 18:2 KJV)

bowed is the usual Hebrew word for worship (shâchâh). In the KJV it is first translated 'worship' in And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you. (Gen 22:5 KJV)
It means to prostrate oneself. It is the universal language of unconditional surrender.

The Septuagint uses the Greek word proskuneO to translate the word. This is the usual word for worship in the NT. The NT Greek word means to 'kiss towards' and is a picture of the submissive kissing of the hand of a King. The word actually has the word for 'dog' in the middle of it picturing the unconditional allegiance of that noble creature to its master.

So the two main pictures of Biblical worship are 'prostrate at His feet in unconditional surrender', or 'kneeling at His feet to kiss His hand in unquestioning submission'.

Neither position is conducive to hymn-singing, playing tambourines or guitars or organs, clapping or dancing. In fact both are probably synonymous with silence. Makes you think doesn't it?

2004/5/26 11:14Profile
andrewjames

vermont

Worship

Hey there,
First and formost worship should be a focus on the Father or Christ or The spirit, there should be an attentiveness to the One King.
That being said any situation in which you are bowed down to the King could be considered worship. It does not have to be music or dancing, it could be laying down your finaces to the Father knowing that as Christ spoke in the gospel of Mathew that the Father who takes care of the birds of the sky will take care of you as well.
Worship to me always involves bowing down to something whether it be Entertainment(sports,movies) or the King of the Universe.
Jesus was perfectly submitted to His Fathers will always bowed down to Him. Being Christ-like we should set our eyes on reaching that goal.

2004/5/26 11:21Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re: Biblical Worship, what is it?

Hey Doug,

This topic made me think of the Samaritan woman, in John4, “The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”

It therefore does not matter how and where you worship as long as it is in spirit and in truth. I think the question that remains is how can one worship in spirit and in truth? We know that Jesus is the way the truth and the light, to worship in him is to be sanctified and worthy to praise; after all what is the worth of the worship of and unholy people? But through the truth (Christ) we are sanctified (John17: 17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. 18 As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth.)

On worshiping in spirit consider Mathew10: 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you. With this in mind it is clear that we cannot sit down and plan the correct forum for worship, but in faith worship in spirit is made perfect. The spirit know what pleases the father and it bears witness in you. When a song of praise comes to your heart, sing it out! Moreover, all such things are acceptable sacrifices well pleasing to God.

Your son in Chrsit
James

2004/5/30 10:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy