Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Servant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Servant

Dear brothers and sisters,

The prompting for this thread has been born out of a need which I see in my own heart and life; the need to learn, again perhaps, or for the first time, what it means to be a servant. It seems to me that I have lost sight of what it means to serve God through Christ, to serve others, and to be a servant. I feel as though much of my labors have been without the spirit and attitude of service - unto God and unto others.

I have failed to see others, to see you all, as those whom I am called to serve. I have failed to work and labor in the spirit of a servant.

So brothers and sisters, I have been more and more seeking the Lord to make me a servant. Maybe some of you feel the same way. Maybe we can learn together here.

Chris

2007/11/3 8:48Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Servant

"But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many."

- Matthew chapter 20, verses 25 through 28(KJV)

2007/11/3 8:53Profile
chrstsm

Chris,
This may come across as being even heretical, but this is what I know the Risen Christ to have spoken through His apostle Paul. We are not servants; we are children in the Father's Son. Our Father has more than a multitude of servants; they are His angels. We, in His Beloved Son are ministers of reconciliation; the reconciliation that Our Father in Christ has made unto the world. This all comes because He has made us new creatures/creation, not I, but Christ, we love because He first loved us. Our actions come by way of our choosing to follow the leading of His Holy Spirit; it is all done out of love. There is no law against love; we are not under law, but under grace. If you are desiring to see His fruit manifest in you, ask him to show you the reality=truth=Jesus in you; Christ in you, the hope of glory. We move as Jesus moved; doing everything that He saw and heard His/Our Father doing and speaking. Set your mind on things above, not on things of this earth; we are aliens and strangers here. Seek Christ and He will reveal Himself. He has made peace. We can't do it ourselves, He can and has. Don't seek to act in order to earn acceptance. You are accepted in Him. Trust Him!

Only by and with Him,
Mike

2007/11/3 14:30Profile

Re:

Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

2 And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray him;

3 [b]Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God;[/b]

4 He riseth from supper, and [b]laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.[/b]

5 After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.

6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?

7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.

8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.

9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

10 Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11 For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

12 So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, [b]Know ye what I have done to you?[/b]

13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another’s feet.

15 [b]For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.[/b]

16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

17 [b]If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.[/b]

37 Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake.

38 Jesus answered him, [b]Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? [/b]

[i]John 13[/i]

[i]Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake?[/i]

[b]Servant[/b]

AV-servant 120, bond 6, bondman 1; 127

1) a slave, bondman, man of servile condition
1a) a slave
1b) metaph., [b]one who gives himself up to another's will, those whose service is used by Christ in extending and advancing his cause among men
1c) devoted to another to the disregard of one's own interests[/b]
2) a servant, attendant

~~~~

I love the definition of bondslave in my Bible, 'One whose will is altogether lost in the will of the Master's.'

[i]Not my will, but thine, O Lord...

And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word.
Luke 1:38
[/i]

2007/11/5 11:23
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Brother ChrisJD...

Your post reminded me of a wonderful little song that I first heard as a child, but never fully appreciated until after I knew the Lord for myself.

[b]The Servant Song[/b]
by Richard Gillard
© 1977 Scripture in Song

Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too

We are pilgrims on a journey
We are brothers on the road
We are here to help each other
Walk the mile and bear the load

I will hold the Christlight for you
In the night-time of your fear
I will hold my hand out to you
Speak the peace you long to hear

I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh I'll laugh with you
I will share your joy and sorrow
Till we've seen this journey through

When we sing to God in Heaven
We shall find such harmony
Born of all we've known together
Of Christ's love and agony

Brother, let me be your servant
Let me be as Christ to you
Pray that I may have the grace
To let you be my servant, too.

:-)

2007/11/5 11:40Profile

Hi Chris,

I've been thinking about what kind of courage Jesus had with regard to His own death, and how when He called the disciples to follow Him, He must have known they would mostly be put to death, yet still He had the courage to call them.

John 19
When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid; and went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, 'Whence art thou?'

But Jesus gave him no answer. Then saith Pilate unto him, 'Speakest thou not unto me? Knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?'

Jesus answered, 'Thou couldest have no power against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin.'

Matthew 4:17 on
From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, 'Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand'.

And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers. And he saith unto them, 'Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men'. And they straightway left nets, and followed him.

And going on from thence, he saw other two brethren, James [i]the son[/i] of Zebedee, and John his brother, in a ship with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and he called them. And they immediately left the ship and their father, and followed him.

And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and [u]preaching[/u] the gospel of the kingdom, [u]and healing[/u] all manner of [u]sickness[/u] and all manner of [u]disease[/u] among the people.

And his fame went throughout all Syria: and they brought unto him all sick people that were taken with divers diseases and [u]torments[/u], and those which were [u]possessed with devils[/u], and those which were [u]lunatick[/u], and those that had the [u]palsy[/u]; and he healed them. And there followed him great multitudes of people...

Mark 3
13 And he goeth up into a mountain, and calleth whom he would: and they came unto him.

20 And the multitude cometh together again, so that they could not so much as eat bread.
21 And when his friends heard [of it], they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.

1 Cor 16:15
I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and [u]they have [b]addicted themselves[/b] to the ministry of the saints[/u],)

2 Corinthians 3:18
But we all, with open face beholding the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, [i]even[/i] as by the Spirit of the Lord.

2007/11/5 16:57
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

It is really good to have you all to share these things with and to learn from. I would like to meditate on what you shared. My heart's desire is that each of your hearts be blessed also.

On the plane ride home from Canton, I was meditating on Philippians chapter 2 verses 5-8(KJV)

"Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross."

the attitude of a servant...

2007/11/5 23:59Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Phil 2 in one verse I pray often..

To deny self, - willing to die for others
For there is no greater the one willing die for ones friend
Christ died for us, he called us his friends.
We too, should in our hearts be willing to lay down our lies at any point for any of our brothers and sister -( Yes though we don't agree with) This a deeper love.
As Christ died so we should glad to die for another.
Death- in real life
and death in our own desires
our own ways
our own ideas
the ways we want things
of course not to follow anything unbiblical

To yield.. In huge giving up all our rights.
To love another to give up, we must Give Up
Such for me. the little things in life, My chair, my food, let them go before me

To see others need, we are wear of them. our eyes are looking for ways we can help and put them before us. Our EYES are open.
We often just don't see ways to help others, because we are focused on our needs. Such as food, or sleep, or many other things, not asking the question what does this person need right now.

Some of my friend I knew when I first came to know Christ , they lived this out in some many ways. I was shocked that people could be so thoughtful of other so often.

To think others better then one self.. That is huge, brakes pride and puts us back in our right, in same place as anyone else. God doesn't love one more then another. We are all His children, it is Grace from God that we see what we do, so we can't boast only praise God.
One guy friend told many years ago, When Christ saved you he made you new, God now see Christ in you, and he has done that in each of His children and this way we are look at them now, New in Christ as you are in Christ

Loving other, praying for them, will move us to serve them.

Oh how there is so much to learn on loving and severing others, it is a well of great richness when we drink from it.

It indeed is better to give then get..
I am learning everyday new ways to love and serve others.

Blessing Brother I will pray for you in this
charlene

2007/11/6 1:36Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: School of Obedience

I came across this audiobook by Andrew Murray this week and I think it is tremendous.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=5071&commentView=itemComments]School of Obedience - Chapter 3 by Andrew Murray[/url]

This is chapter three. From the recording it appears that there are 8 chapters altogether, but only 3 here on the index. But I have very much appreciated them still.

Recommend it to you all as God may will.

Chris

2007/11/9 0:34Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

the daily life of serving.
Giving up getting food, Cleaning
willing to listen

Oh Father I ask you my Lord to come and help my brother to grow deeper and deeper to humble and give up his rights. Teach the dept of loving as self, the dept of dying to self. Teach to love wholehearty from the love given by from grace.
Teach to have a lisening ear, understanding

Amen

charlene

2007/11/13 11:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy