Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : PreachingToCannibals -> KingJimmy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

PreachingToCannibals -> KingJimmy

SI's long cherished PreachingToCannibals has been newly sired KingJimmy thanks to our disturbed neighbor from the North who has some strange perfectionistic tendencies... yet has a bookshelf that is falling apart and bowing more than imaginary HTML tables.

Some insight behind the name:

At Bible college, especially last year, I had a great habit of paraphrasing the Bible in discussions. Once, I did it and received a funny look, and people wondered what version I was quoting. Since my name is Jimmy, I jokingly said "The King Jimmy Version." From that point on, one student started calling me "King Jimmy" on a regular basis, and making regular devotion and homage to me, e.g. bowing, allowing him to kiss my ring finger, etc. I still make a habit of paraphrasing the Bible... and why not, even people in the Bible did it... so :)

2004/5/24 20:06Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: PreachingToCannibals -> KingJimmy

Quote:
SI's long cherished PreachingToCannibals has been newly sired KingJimmy thanks to our disturbed neighbor from the North who has some strange perfectionistic tendencies... yet has a bookshelf that is falling apart and bowing more than imaginary HTML tables.

hahah well I am a perfectionist but the bible does say 'be ye pefect' (KJV) not King Jimmy Version. I have been wanting to cap the username size to 12 characters since the beginning and have had to change over 50 names since. I finally found out how to do this so all new usernames are capped to that amount. I thank Jimmy for his no questions asked compliance, his other username was abit archaic anyhow :-P right Jimmy

2004/5/24 20:11Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I really liked PreachingToCannibals though. God gave me a vision over 2 years ago where I did such, and it has had a profound impact on my life since then.

I pray God forgives Greg for this sin, as he is quenching the Spirit :-P (j/k)

2004/5/24 20:14Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
I have been wanting to cap the username size to 12 characters

Whew, I'm just under the wire :)

2004/5/24 20:45Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Well, this is all just too hilarious for me :lol:

But with sadness it is to see PTC go (Hmmm, could always change it to that) With fond memories I recall first seeing that name and the reaction I had of "What?" :-) Preaching to Cannibals? What kind of twisted...but then I thought, why not? Besides he must have some how survived not being made into a meal and probably is a powerful preacher to boot... I did later on follow up to get the 'scoop' behind the name.

Actually I was recently listening to a message, forget now who it was, but he made mention of a missionary, Barrett? Barnett? Who preached to the cannibals in the Congo, perhaps the King might know of him. Could have come from your blood line...

Well, this may take some getting use to...keep thinking of Elvis for some reason.

2004/5/24 21:26Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

But with sadness it is to see PTC go (Hmmm, could always change it to that)

True, I could do that, and thought so after I told Greg to change it to KingJimmy. However, I doubt too many folks would be interested in what the initials stood for, and I think this is a little more personal.

Quote:

Actually I was recently listening to a message, forget now who it was, but he made mention of a missionary, Barrett? Barnett? Who preached to the cannibals in the Congo, perhaps the King might know of him. Could have come from your blood line...

Don't know of him, but I can imagine there are preachers who have done it.

Quote:

With fond memories I recall first seeing that name and the reaction I had of "What?" Preaching to Cannibals? What kind of twisted...but then I thought, why not?

Yeah, well.. I figured the name was pretty grabbing. I know the dream that inspired the name has gripped me for over 2 years now :) Time and time again as well, I've seen the dream come to pass.

2004/5/24 21:40Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:

Are you thinking of WFP Burton? (Willie Burton) Now there's a story for some of you younger guys to get your teeth into. He was used of God to found 1000 churches in the Congo. An Anglican, with typical understatement, said 'he would have been regarded as an apostle if he hadn't been a Pentecostal'. ;-)

ps. I met him on a couple of occasions but, I hasten to add, he was already an old man by that time. :-)

If you can get hold of it...
Wm F.P. Burton: Congo Pioneer
Harold Womersley

2004/5/26 11:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Yes, I do believe that was him Ron!
Think he was mentioned by Keith Daniel in a message I was listening to...something about being an artist as well? That his work was still in South Africa I believe...may be mixing him up with someone else...I listen to a lot of messages :-)

But he sounded fascinating and what was said of him only intrigued me to do a search in which I came up empty.

DO tell! Would love to know more.

2004/5/26 11:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

How's this for a start?

Having started in 1915, the Central African Missions, has a long history. From the initial party of four that set out for the Belgian Congo in 1915, only two, William Burton and James Salter, were left after a few months. But from that inauspicious beginning developed a vast Christian work covering an area three times larger than the UK and encompassing nearly 4,000 churches.

2004/5/26 12:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

here's another snippet for the post-er who-used-to-be-known-as Preaching to Cannibals.

Willie Burton's companion was named Jimmy Salter. He later married the daughter of Smith Wigglesworth. Alice Salter nee Wigglesworth was a companion to her father in several of his overseas trips.

So there was a Jimmy who may have preached to cannibals. I know its a bit speculative but whole doctrines have been built on flimsier foundations. :-P

Salter, James
Family:

Marriage: ABT 1915 Bradford
Spouse: Wigglesworth, Alice
b. ABT 1884 Menston,West Yorkshire,England
d. 21 DEC 1964 Bradford,West Yorkshire,England.
Parents:

Father: Wigglesworth, Smith
Mother: Featherston, Mary Jane

2004/5/26 13:22Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy